IMG_1937 (resized).JPG
IMG_1931 (resized).JPG
IMG_1930 (resized).JPG
IMG_1929 (resized).JPG
IMG_1927 (resized).JPG
IMG_1922 (resized).JPG
IMG_1924 (resized).JPG
IMG_1925 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zacaj.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 5 years ago

Williams doesn't do any diagnostics at boot up. The leds start on, and as soon as the CPU starts running it turns them off (like the initial flicker on ballys). Any number of issues can stop it from actually booting fully and getting to attract mode, or it could just be something with your displays.

Two flashes when pressing the button means the self test passed. It still misses a lot of issues though, but a good sign.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

You can get test ROMs that allow you to boot up only the MPU on the bench. Some of the test ROMs require building extra diag boards. I always used Andre's ROM just because I was familiar with how it ran. I hear Maralb made a good one too, but i have never tried it.

Leon's is a great beginner rom to just make sure all the inputs are working and the board boots. Andre's is very useful once you know how to use it, but it's hard to learn how to use it on a non-working board sadly.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from oldschoolbob:

Would the fact that it's not booting keep the displays from working or is that a separate problem? I feel I'm in the dark without the displays.

If it doesn't boot the displays definitely won't work.

What ROM do you guys recommend for a start?

I'd get a copy of leon's and andre's. start with leons, make sure you can get it flashing, then use andre's for more detailed testing as needed.

I noticed the batteries were not located as I have seen on other systems 4's. I just finished a Blackout (system 6) and this board looks the same. I have crappy schematics for the Flash - would the Blackout schematics be the same for this game?

The boards are compatible, but the parts won't be quite the same. I'd just find schematics for whatever version board you have and use them

#9 5 years ago

Instructions and rom images are available online. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wms-sys-3-7-andre-test-rom-usage-video-v2

If you're getting digits on the display it sounds like it may be booting then. What are they outputting? It may just be the dead battery/audits reset version number, in which case putting in some batteries and scrolling through the audits should allow you to boot into attract mode

#13 5 years ago

That fuse wouldn't affect anything. You should only get the one flash for a successful boot. Did you try the turning off and on quickly?

Might as well install a remote battery holder now anyway.

#17 5 years ago

On my Blackout they flash twice.

They shouldn't...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Tools
Pincoder Store

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Woolwich Township, NJ
2,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, IL
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Green Brook Township, NJ
$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zacaj.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/please-help-%e2%80%93-i-don%e2%80%99t-understand-williams-diagnostics?tu=zacaj and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.