(Topic ID: 44373)

Please Explain Pinball Prices - System 11 machines vs. newer stuff & MM, MB, etc

By too-many-pins

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Choice with $15K to spend on pins”

• One high end machine 6 votes
      6%
    • Two or Three mid range machines 49 votes
      45%
    • 8 to 12 System 9 & 11 machines or other multi ramp machines 42 votes
      39%
    • 20+ cheaper but fun EM's & 1980's SS machines including a couple cheaper DMD machines 12 votes
      11%

(109 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
    There are 73 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 11 years ago

OK - here is my question and I am just wondering what everyone else thinks or has to say about this. I have been in the pinball hobby for a little over 4 years now and have owned over 100 machines. Nothing high end - I just don't get it with those machines - but mostly 1980's SS stuff.

Anyway - I love most System 11 machines and after playing a lot of machines like MM, TZ, MB. TAF, AFM, CC, etc and I just don't understand why people pay crazy prices for some of those titles. I can by 8 or 10 nice System 11 machines for less than I would have to pay for MM (or even some of the other "A" list titles) and I don't think MM is as much fun as most System 11 machines. So why do people pay crazy prices for these machines? What am I missing?

Don't get me wrong - if I had $15 or $20K to spend on machines and only had room for one or two machines I would likely buy the "best I could" for my money. But I know I have a heck of a lot more fun with my 12 System 11 machines than I would or could ever have with a MM or any other single machine.

Are people buying these high end titles because they like them or just for the bragging rights of owning them? Does anyone really think one high end pin is actually better than owning a dozen decent machines for less money? What am I missing here?

Thanks to all that reply!

#2 11 years ago

I get just as much enjoyment from my BK2K as I do from TOTAN that is in my basement.

I would get the System 11's. Love them!

Chris

#3 11 years ago

I would love a handful of system 11's , hard to find here though.

#4 11 years ago

Come on guys! Please explain this to me - I just really don't get it? Why are most System 11 machines still under $1500 in nice shape and yet people are paying $12K to $15K for am MM?

#5 11 years ago

Shhhhhhhhhhh you'll ruin it

#6 11 years ago

MM is more collectible. Pretty simple, people will spend that because it's a good game and they expect it to appreciate in value. I'm in your boat though, I'd rather a mix of mid range and older games

#7 11 years ago

Some people love sys11 (or sys6-9), some only like a few DMD titles.

Some buy expensive games and never play them.

Some randomly buy games until they run out of room.

Some only buy Space, cowboy, card, or carnival themed games.

#8 11 years ago

For the same reason some people will pay $800 for a Galaga. I'm with you, I love the Sys 11 games, and I also own a lot of higher end WPC games. I can have a rocking game on Police Force and shrug and Cactus Canyon. Know what I played tonight? Gottlieb Dragon.

#9 11 years ago

I really enjoy the SS games. Happy to because they cost WAY less than DMD games.

I play my Mata Hari and FirePower more than anything right now.

#10 11 years ago

Sorry Im in the 15k vote. My reason, I have limited space and i rather fill it with 8-12 high end pins, not 8-12 IMO "so so" pins. I have only played about 10 EM games, and none of them really interested me. Im 6 months into this hobby, 23 years old and in Australia. Pins aren't necessarily hard to get, but its definitely not as easy going as it is in the states. I didn't grow up with any pins really, i just found a LOTR and that was it. As for the bragging? I don't know any people on pinside IRL, and my mates think im retarded. I am too ashamed to tell them the real price i pay for my pins. I tell them they are worth about 3k and still i get stupid looks. God forbid if my gf found out the true cost. I just really enjoy pinball and only my 2 younger brother agrees with me on that.

#11 11 years ago

No DMD = Lower Price. Simple as that. I'm not saying it's "right" but it's the way it is.

#12 11 years ago

It just seems to me that every time I look at Pinside or RGP there is lots of talk about crazy prices on "A" list machines and yet most System 11 machines are really just as much fun for 10 to 15% of the price. To me high end machines are way over priced for what they are and System 11 machines are way under priced these days.

If the hobby keeps headed where is has been over the past 3 or 4 years sooner or later it seems like the craziness on "A" list machines like MM will end and machines like Pin-Bot, Whirlwind, etc will start catching up. I might be wrong but it seems like "smart money" would be buying all the System 11 machines up right now since most still run $1200 to $1500 for nice examples.

I am not saying Pin-bot will ever be worth as much as MM but to me if MM is a $12K machine than Pin-Bot should be a $3 to $4K machine all day long. Yet I have purchased 5 Pin-Bots in the past two years all for under $1000 and 3 of the 5 were super nice examples?

And for any of you that are wondering I don't have any Pin-Bots for sale right now but might have one to sell later this year.

#13 11 years ago

Most people never get to play perfectly restored older games and therefore base alot of their opinion on poor examples of older games where as the newer game by virtue of it being newer is typically in better shape and plays better. What I find is people gravitate to older games when they are in immaculate perfect condition much more then DMD's. You have to want to put 500-1000 dollars into an older game knowing you will not get that money back out. But.....Much more satisfying. And to those with limited space. I disagree that you have to have A-list DMD's because of limited space. I would be bored to death with such a set up. That is why we have opinions and options.

Classic Stern Junk

#14 11 years ago

Well at least I feel a little better. When I look at Pinside all everyone seems to want to talk about is if this is worth $12K or is this a good deal at $8K etc. I thought I might be the only one thinking 10 good machines is better that one overpriced "A" list title.

To me the best pins can still be bought for around $1K and once fixed up they might be worth just under or over $1500. But to me it really isn't about the money or value of any machine. I am just happy I have had the chance to enjoy this great hobby with my son over the past 4 years!

#15 11 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

No DMD = Lower Price. Simple as that. I'm not saying it's "right" but it's the way it is.

FH, SOF, WW each beg to differ. (priced higher than most GB dmd's)
    FH especially. Prices for that are interesting.

#16 11 years ago

Look at my collection ... When people come to my place, all they want to play is my Sys11 games.

Everyone has an Addams, TZ, MM, all the usuals.

But nobody has sys11. And that's they way I like it.

rd.

#17 11 years ago

Obviously system 11 games are very popular. I have been wanting a BK2K in the worst way and have it plastered everywhere here. Most replies I get are, I will keep my eyes open, but your not getting mine. Go figure. I have a WW I deem worthy of a full restore even though I will lose money on it.(have CPR playfield and plastics on order). They may not demand the price, but they are loved just as much. I am gravitating towards the system 11 games more and more now. Would love to find a nice Space Station to add to the collection also.

#18 11 years ago
    Quoted from RawleyD:

FH and BOP are not System 11 games, they are alpha-numeric WPC games.

#19 11 years ago

I really like having a handfull of sys 11 pins in my mostly DMD collection as they are a lot of fun. Finding really nice examples of the more desirable sys 11 titles is even more difficult than finding nice DMD games, and they can be more work to restore because the playfields and cabinets really get beat over the years.

#20 11 years ago

Just wait another year or two, you will see $2k earthshakers and $1500 black knights. Heck, funhouse is already a $3-$5k machine and it doesn't have a DMD

#21 11 years ago
    Quoted from Dewey68:

FH and BOP are not System 11 games, they are alpha-numeric WPC games.

Never said they were Sys 11's.

..No DMD

Quoted from davewtf:

#22 11 years ago

I have enjoyed playing pinball for most of my life, but have only had the funds to own pins more recently. IMO system 11 games are just not as fun as the newer DMD games, and I would rather save up my money and buy A-list pins. The A-list pins have better shots, more sophisticated toys and sound effects, and typically better artwork on the cabinets. Again, just my opinion, no offense to everyone that likes their classics. With that said the prices for pins are absurd!

#23 11 years ago
    Quoted from too-many-pins:

Come on guys! Please explain this to me - I just really don't get it? Why are most System 11 machines still under $1500 in nice shape and yet people are paying $12K to $15K for am MM?

Most were under $1000 not that long ago.

-Mark

#24 11 years ago

I love the 80's music and bands which will never return just like the 90's area version of pins. On a side note don't care much for the 90's music movement. It's like a Nintendo gaming system only and not going forward with a Playstation in the 90's. After Playstation 2 and 3 there were not that many big differences. Relate this to pinball by liking the 80's system 11 of going for more DMR classic 90's area of Bally Williams Data East. Then advance to year 2000 plus where pinball has not really advanced just like the gaming systems. Classics rule. Sure there are some new features that are great today on new games but it is not a big a jump as from 80's to 90's. Meaning 2000 to 2010 has not made me want to jump to new style games until I see more results and creativity. Hard to type what I am trying to explain.

#25 11 years ago

i'd get 12 DE's before 1 high end machine. for 15k you could easily get 10 very fun DMD's if you open your mind outside the new sterns or Bally williams mindset.

#26 11 years ago

It just seems to me that every time I look at Pinside or RGP there is lots of talk about crazy prices on "A" list machines and yet most System 11 machines are really just as much fun for 10 to 15% of the price. To me high end machines are way over priced for what they are and System 11 machines are way under priced these days.
    If the hobby keeps headed where is has been over the past 3 or 4 years sooner or later it seems like the craziness on "A" list machines like MM will end and machines like Pin-Bot, Whirlwind, etc will start catching up. I might be wrong but it seems like "smart money" would be buying all the System 11 machines up right now since most still run $1200 to $1500 for nice examples.
    I am not saying Pin-bot will ever be worth as much as MM but to me if MM is a $12K machine than Pin-Bot should be a $3 to $4K machine all day long. Yet I have purchased 5 Pin-Bots in the past two years all for under $1000 and 3 of the 5 were super nice examples?
    And for any of you that are wondering I don't have any Pin-Bots for sale right now but might have one to sell later this year.

Some of what you have said is true to an extent, but based on the prices of older games that came before the system 11 games, and the games before that, Im not sure. You can buy a 50's or 60's game cheap, and the prices go up from there. Its all about fun factor, to rarity, to demand. If a 25 year old played games from different eras, what game would he/she most enjoy? That is where the greatest increase or least decrease in price will be in 10/20 years. Unless there is a huge change in location games being somewhere other then bars.

#27 11 years ago

A lot has to do with your wallet but there are so many other factors. System 11s were what me and friends played in the arcades. If you like working on machines, the platform is fairly easy to work on and pretty reliable too.

I'm getting old, my reflexes just are not what they used to be. While I like modern DMDs to play occasionally, most of these games tire me out they are so fast. System 11s are more to my pace, and if I want a fast challenge I play my F-14

#28 11 years ago
    Quoted from Bronzelion:

I have enjoyed playing pinball for most of my life, but have only had the funds to own pins more recently. IMO system 11 games are just not as fun as the newer DMD games, and I would rather save up my money and buy A-list pins. The A-list pins have better shots, more sophisticated toys and sound effects, and typically better artwork on the cabinets. Again, just my opinion, no offense to everyone that likes their classics. With that said the prices for pins are absurd!

Also many like me don't have room for 10 to 12 games.. I have room for only 3
    That said the 3 games I have will always be 3 games I like very much regardless of cost.

#29 11 years ago

Long live Sys 11s! I love them and hope to add more. There's a lot of great games out there that are still reasonably priced. I'm happy to let others play top dollar for the MMs, AFMs, CCs and MBs of the world as I pick up the lonely B/W sleepers, choice DEs and Sys 11s for 1/5th the price.

#30 11 years ago

DMDs are pretty cool but they just dont have the feel of the SS and sys11 machines the older machines relied on more game play features and fine artwork vs the toys on dmds.
    I think sys11 machines have the best lightshows of all the pins and SS 80-82 ballys have the nicest art out of any of the pinballs.
    I like afm cv, mm etc just dont think they are worth the prices for a machine that i will get bored with in a few months.
    I like to save and restore the classics that dont seem to get the love they should becouse they are older and dont have a dmd display, honestly the display is the least of my concerns when im playing lol

#31 11 years ago
    Quoted from RawleyD:

I was making a generalization and those non-dmds are the exceptions, not the rule. They don't even come close to the highest priced dmds. Let's compare apples to apples when comparing our apples and oranges.

#32 11 years ago

I think a lot of it is bragging rights, but I do prefer DMD games myself and am in the broke collectors club so I tend to go after the Gottlieb, DE and Sega games and love them. Alot of sys 11 games are in rough shape due to age and popularity while most of my stuff is in great shape and dependable.

#33 11 years ago

Pin-Bot should be a $3 to $4K machine all day long.

Pin-Bot is one of my favorite games, but there are TONS of them and the game gets repetitive for some people, as do many sys11 games. When other games offer way more depth at a 3K price point, it's no wonder the value of sys11 games stay where they are. There is also way more supply than demand - sys11 production run numbers for nearly every title are outstanding and the hardware (aside from the GI connectors) was built to last.

Depth really is the deciding factor here though. Look at a game like T2 - a Dot Matrix WPC game that hovers in the $1000 - $1500. Same exact reason - the depth doesn't satisfy the masses and there is an outrageous number of them available. Sys11 games fall into this category WITHOUT the ever-worshipped DMD.

For a lot of people, it's the fact they don't quite have the "classic" feel, yet they don't quite have the "modern" sleekness. This is coming from a die hard sys11 fan, but I'm just being realistic about their popularity.

-BB

#34 11 years ago

"bragging rights" is a lot of the reason shitty games command way more money than they are worth. I run my collection by diversity and what I like. I could give a crap if anyone is impressed by my collection or not. There's my top 30, and that is what determines if a game gets valuable pin real estate or not.

#35 11 years ago

CaptainNeo

This is exactly the way we feel about things. We collect what we like NOT what a bunch of other people think is the "flavor of the month". But I really doubt anyone owning a MM will admit they actually like several other machines better they could own for 10 or 20% of the price of MM.

I played MM twice and it just didn't do anything for me. Hopefully at some point someone can explain what I am missing about this machine other than it is bringing way too much money for what it is. If the value and price were the same on MM and WW I would have a WW before a MM. But again to me System 11 machines are some of the best pinball machines ever made.

Anyway - for those of you that own a MM please help me understand why?

#36 11 years ago

I would buy 6-9 games with that money with most if not all being DMD games.

I really like some alpha numeric pins and even some EM games but overall the DMD games last longer as far as entertainment value goes.

#37 11 years ago

It's not DMD, WPC, etc. It's all about the titles. Some titles are hot. There are somewhat inexpensive WPC games like NBAFB, JD, JM, Congo, Demo Man to name a few. If you focus on the top pins like MM, AFM, MB, TZ, TAF, etc then yes they are expensive, especially a low play original game or high-end restored. Here are some examples of games that are comparatively more expensive than other titles made during the same time frame...

Slick Chick
    King of Diamonds
    Royal Flush
    Jacks Open
    El Dorado
    Captain Fantastic
    Eight Ball Deluxe
    Fathom
    Black Knight
    Black Knight 2000
    Whirlwind
    Earthshaker
    Diner
    EATPM
    Cyclone

That's just a few off the top of my head, but a super sweet example of any of those titles can often sell for well over $3K when other titles made the same year can go for $300-600. Consider yourself fortunate if you really enjoy the lesser expensive titles. Nothing wrong with that.

#38 11 years ago

Anyway - for those of you that own a MM please help me understand why?

I owned one for about 4 months. It's fun, but I couldn't justify keeping a 8K game in my house if it was the least played pin I own. If it was a 4k pin, I'd still have it.

#39 11 years ago

I had my MM for 3 months and even at $5500 price tag it wasn't worth keeping. It's about 49th on my list. Maybe lower, i'll have to write up my list beyond 30 and see where it falls.

#40 11 years ago

Well, in northern California I see no nice System 11 games for <$1500 on any kind of regular basis.

Now they occasionally show up, but in my experience, it's not normal.

Seems like all games are more in Cali, probably due to having to ship them in from elsewhere; so a $1200 game instantly becomes (costs) $1600.

Then given the somewhat shady people that over sell their game's condition, the $1600 game you can see/touch/feel, becomes worth more like $2k.

Robert

#41 11 years ago
    Quoted from MrSanRamon:

Then given the somewhat shady people that over sell their game's condition, the $1600 game you can see/touch/feel, becomes worth more like $2k.

Agreed. It's the old "bird in hand" proverb.

#42 11 years ago

Like I keep saying I just don't get it with MM. Lots of people talk about it like it is the "only great machine" and to me it sucks? Yes I would buy one if I could pick it up cheap but it would never even make it into the gameroom - I would just flip it to buy other better playing titles.

I just think owning a game like MM is a way of showing off or bragging about having one or being able to afford one. Kind of like the guy that always has to drive a Vette, BWM, etc.

Even if money was no object I don't ever see me owning a MM. I have zero interest in having one and I could have a very nice one by selling off just 10 to 20% of my current line up but I just don't have any interest in it.

I am still waiting to get one reply from someone explaining why a MM is worth the money to them. Almost a full page and day later and still no one telling me why their MM is such a great machine to own?

#43 11 years ago

MM is not THAT great of a machine, it's true.

But it's silly, so women and kids like it.

It's very Monty Python, so old guys like it.

It's easy to nuke a castle and feel like you have accomplished something, so beginners like it.

And finally, it's a low production game that people can brag about, so braggers like it.

#44 11 years ago

Good point.. I play more HS and WW then any of my dmd games such as AFM and MB. DMDs are actually being phased out of my collection at this point. I am down to just 3 out of 11. It wasnt a plan it just sort of happened that way. I buy and keep what I like.

#45 11 years ago
    Quoted from nocreditdot:

I buy and keep what I like.

Nice collection. You have a little bit of everything.

#46 11 years ago

I love my system 11 pins, but DMDs have better audio, deeper rules, and can usually be found in better condition. So it makes sense to me that system 11's are stuck in the $800-1500 range. I know I'm "upside-down" in my Space Station and Whirlwind, but that's OK.

#47 11 years ago

nocreditdot,

My adult son & I are in the hobby together and 4 years ago when we first started all he wanted to talk about is DMD machines. Now we have over a dozen DMD and newer SS machines sitting here that rarely ever get played. I think in all honesty both he & his wife and my wife & I could care less about most of the DMD titles we own.

Personally I love the art on the early 1980's machines, and all of us like later 1980's machines but titles like his Diner, Last Action Hero, Cue Ball Wizzard, Black Rose, etc. sit idle and we are playing stuff like Pin-Bot, Space Shuttle, Mr & Mrs Pac-Man, Nitro Ground Shaker, Firepower, etc.

I think when people are new to the hobby they feel like they need to have "A" list titles but the longer you are involved the more you realize how many machines in the $500 to $1500 range are actually more fun than most "A" list stuff.

Still waiting to hear the other side from someone who has all "A" list titles & new $7000 Stern machines.

#48 11 years ago

I would suggest you buy whatever you enjoy most! Whatever will give you and your family the most enjoyment!

#49 11 years ago

Still not one reply from MM owners telling me why MM is worth the money?

#50 11 years ago

DMD pins have a DMD, which is worth $$ & is a nice extra feature. Also any DMD since 1993 has much higher quality DCS sound.
    As much as I love some system 11's, they have neither of these features & while the sound can be pretty cool & I love the sound & music of my BK2K, it would certainly only be that much better if it were DCS quality.

Hey, system 11's are like early man. That missing link between how things are today, & how things were long ago. They are stuck in the middle. & it just so happens that the prices are also somewhere in the middle.
    Makes sense to me.
    Also, don't forget that many system 11's were beaten to death on location & didn't have diamondplate protection like DMD games have. They also have less depth & rules, which might not make them ideal for a collector who has just 1 or 2 games.

There are 73 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/please-explain-pinball-prices-system-11-machines-vs-newer-stuff-mm-mb-etc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.