Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

7333EED6-D907-46E3-9B43-54429EF17E3F (resized).png
#1 4 years ago

I’ll admit that I was put off to say the least with BM66 roll out price as with The Beatles for that matter.

However over time people have said how fun BM66 (code = good) and Stern seems to be doing a good business selling them which leads me to it might be a good game.

I’ve played the pin here and there but never really could get into the flow, my ****biggest**** issue is the turntable toy which I find cumbersome and annoying especially the spinning toy inside the turntable and often as not the ball gets stock on that.

On top of that the game seems like it’s a lot more clunky than smooth.

So I’m just asking why it’s so popular because clunky and annoying turntable seems to be agreed on.

#2 4 years ago

It's fun because Lyman locked himself in a closet churning out code until it was fun.

#3 4 years ago

I’ve got an LE at the local arcade and it’s a fun pin. If you’re a fan of the original show, I’m sure that helps with enjoying it. I’ve seen a few premiums around $6500 and it’s a deep game probably better enjoyed in a home setting.

#4 4 years ago

I know a lot of people like it the code is what saved the game but I still can't get into it either the turntable is too slow and clunky and a lot of the local Batman 66 in Pittsburgh seem to always be having some weird problem but I bet it's better in a home location.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

It's fun because Lyman locked himself in a closet churning out code until it was fun.

what game does it resemble in code?

#6 4 years ago

Rai,like many Stern new pins these days,The B66 has to be tweaked somewhat! Every one has a different "bug"that has to be fixed!! My B66Le was fubar out of box,and the turntable was completely broken!! If the ball is hanging up there ,its because the turntable has to be leveled better!! There is a whole thread on that in early posts and how to fix! The flow comes when you are a better shot and can make the ramps with both flippers,and understand what to do!!This pin is so deep it will keep you entertained for a long time my friend!!

#7 4 years ago

Yes that’s my problem. I’ve played SW, DP, BM66 and quite frankly don’t know what to do. (GOT also but I watched a long ass tutorial about that. Great GOT tutorial but several long hours is too long need to trim condense that somewhat).

However Black Knight I picked up in a snap. Not sure if there is something wrong with me or are some of these pins super un intuitive?

#8 4 years ago

I enjoy the turntable. The ball hangup issues are relatively easy to fix once the game has been set up.

What I find clunky is the left ramp. The Stern fix kit helps some, but a lot of ball speed is still lost. It’s not enough of an issue to avoid the game though.

It is a very deep game and probably hard to fully appreciate on location. There are multiple approaches to having a good game and “getting into the flow”. The game directs you for most of the major stuff (flashing shots and screen instructions) but there is a lot more you find by playing.

If you are considering buying a game and like the Batman 66 theme I doubt you will be disappointed.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Yes that’s my problem. I’ve played SW, DP, BM66 and quite frankly don’t know what to do. (GOT also but I watched a long ass tutorial about that. Great GOT tutorial but several long hours is too long need to trim condense that somewhat).
However Black Knight I picked up in a snap. Not sure if there is something wrong with me or are some of these pins super un intuitive?

If those are some the games your interested in my ranking is 1 Deadpool, 2 BKSOR, 3 GOT, 4 Batman 66, and 5 SW.

#10 4 years ago

BM66
Major Villains- 4 of them. Each character has their own story. some stories are longer than others. Completing all characters at any level of their story will give u a a mini wizard mode called Villain Escape.

subvillians - you need to complete a character from each season. that will give u an opportunity for 3 different multiballs.

This is where is gets super fun -
each subvillian will give you a boost. some sub will give u the ability to replay other villians or save progression or even freeze timers. That all can play into your score. IE if you freeze timers you will have modes that could stay as long as the ball is in play leading to major points. There is a strategy in this too. but u can play any sub u want too

Gadgets - collecting them and pressing it will award you a shot that u need in a mode. very helpful with subvillians as those modes are timed.

other cool modes are batusi, bat turn and a few more.

You can stack a lot of stuff at once to maximize ball time and scoring.

great call outs, theme integration and decent shots. yes at times it can be a little clunky. doesnt shoot like MM or games of that era.

This is just a light overview of the game.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I find it’s a Myriad of Lyman’s greats!
There’s playfield multipliers that you can focus on/ignore, bonuses that erase after each ball, awards for combos, and lots of multiball insanity.
I find the game can really flow smoothly once you get the shots down, but yeah -“clunky” if you miss yours shots.
That’s maybe part of what makes it so rewarding when things go well.
You can tackle the main villains one by one or go after the minor villains, all unique.

This game reminds me of walking dead in many ways, with bits of ACDC thrown in.
I friggin love it!

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I love BM66 but as others have said it MUST be dialed in properly or it can be a clunk fest. But playing one that is working correctly can be a lot of fun if you enjoy the shot layout and also like strategy based games. Good thin about BM66 is it's basic enough for a beginner to understand what to do to progress through the part of the game they will care about most (major villains and multiballs) but deep enough that it will take a pro a while to master. Each one of the minor villains can really change the game based off what you want to do long term but can also be a huge risk vs reward.

That said, I do prefer Deadpool mainly because it feels different and has that Tron effect on me. Shallow enough for me to think that I can beat it everytime I press the start button but hard enough to not be able to do it but rarely. BM66 is more like MET or AC/DC to me. I step up thinking more about blowing up the score vs finishing the game. It's a different mindset. Looking at your collection it's a tough call. For rules I'd say you need BM66 as you have several of those shallower short game machines but you have a lot of fan layout type games so the shots of DP may be more satisfying.

Clear as mud now

#13 4 years ago

rai as your skills of playing get better you will like different things about games and really learn what you like. i use to love games with super simple code. Mostly data east games BoP etc. but when i finally started focusing on making shots what i liked in games started changing. do i like a game i can just flip for fun ... yes. do i want to drop a lot of money that i complete the game in the first few games..... oh hell no. Super easy shots... nope.

My path has lead me to games i can get into, shots that are fair and make me work for them, great moments in games, great theme integration and strategy. some games i have hated in the past i have grown to love. GoT i hated for the first couple of years but i spent time on seeing why people loved it. as i played more and just figuring out what a battle was i grew to love the game.

Enjoy the games. play them when ever you can. out of DP, GoT, BM66, SW Prem, and BkSoR you will have a ton of fun. SW and GoT are similar code wise but both are great

#14 4 years ago

It's one of the worst shooting games (clunk fest) ever that Stern tried to rescue with deep code.

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

It's one of the worst shooting games (clunk fest) ever that Stern tried to rescue with deep code.

There is a difference between tough shots and clunk fest. The outer loops are tight but I wouldn’t call it a clunk fest.

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

Said the Walking Dead Pinball Machine, to Batman66: hold my beer!

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

I’ve played two copies of this deck and have to agree with this sentiment... both were clunky and ungainly.

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

I’ve played two copies of this deck and have to agree with this sentiment... both were clunky and ungainly.

I’ve played 3 personally myself, 2 on location and 1 HUO, and all three have different difficulties just for the left orbit alone.

One on location was a major rejecter. Like 90% of shots wouldn’t hit the orbit... they’d just rattle between the orbit rail and the metal that holds the blue knub on the left of the left ramp and dribble out.

Second on location was better but still not a guarantee. Third (HUO) is doable.

I guess this is what happens when you make an orbit equal to width of 1 pinball plus 0.05mm. Plus the drooped flippers in combination with a center ramp that’s not that smooth, and I can see why some will call this game a clunk fest and some will disagree. It’s all about setup and that particular machine. Same thing with Deadpool.

#19 4 years ago

Semantics. Whether you call it a clunk fest or “it just has to be set up right” or just “its smooth if you make your shots”, these are all just synonyms for saying that the game is clearly clunkier than ST SM GOT or really anything by Steve Ritchie and even others at Stern. Code is undeniably great.

Bottom line: if you prioritize smooth gameplay over code, it’s not the game for you. If that order is reversed, it’s a terrific game.

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

that is funny.

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

I disagree...TWD bored the hell out of me; I love BM66; super fun pin.

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from phoenixpin:

Bottom line: if you prioritize smooth gameplay over code, it’s not the game for you. If that order is reversed, it’s a terrific game.

great way to look at it.

I owned LotR (great code) not the smoothest pin but great, didn't end up keeping LotR (I agree it's a classic but not as fun to me by a long shot to AFM, Tron, ST etc.).

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

I’ve played 3 personally myself, 2 on location and 1 HUO, and all three have different difficulties just for the left orbit alone.
One on location was a major rejecter. Like 90% of shots wouldn’t hit the orbit... they’d just rattle between the orbit rail and the metal that holds the blue knub on the left of the left ramp and dribble out.
Second on location was better but still not a guarantee. Third (HUO) is doable.

The left orbit is crazy tight if you don’t move the blue pad to the inside of the ramp and redress the Catwoman cable. I can make the left orbit on my machine all day long. Can’t say the same about the right orbit shot but I think that’s more me than the game. However if you want a 60’s themed game with easy orbits, get the Munsters

#24 4 years ago

Definitely clunky in the shots department. But this is true of most Gomez designs. On the flipside, he definitely takes the most chances and varies his shot placement much more than the other Stern designers like Ritchie and Borg. Their games are much smoother, but more similar to their previous efforts. Gomez really likes to tweak shots out. Neither all good or bad to this approach. Deadpool is also VERY clunky, yet still a unique and fun shooter in its own right.

BM66 has fantastic art, theme integration, and satisfying rules.

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Catwoman Premium

#26 4 years ago

The better you get, the smoother it plays. It’s a great game.

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from dts:

The better you get, the smoother it plays. It’s a great game.

I agree. I actually really like the shots on this game despite the reputation of it being clunky. It's got one super easy ramp and one challenging ramp, both of which flow to the other flipper so if you're on you can really get it flowing super nicely (extra ball for 20 combos make this worth doing too). It's also rewarding flow because you do have to be on to get it going so it's never boring. The scoop is an easy shot, at least on my game and can be hit with both flippers. The two orbits are challenging shots, but I find them to be satisfyingly challenging not frustrating -- if the orbits were easy to hit this game would be too easy anyway.

The turntable was the big surprise to me. I didn't like the turntable at all on location (actually the whole game didn't impress me that much on location for some reason). It was a big sticking point for me buying the game -- but at home I actually enjoy it. It adds a nice variety to the game play that the big center shot plays differently depending on what mode you are in. I still believe it could have been better somehow, but overall it's a plus to the game.

The breadth and depth of this code lived up to it's reputation. There's so much to do it's kind of crazy. So much to do that I really don't play this game for score, it's more like an adventure. Sometimes I try to quickly capture all major villains to get to Villain escape. Other times I try to get through a villains complete story line. Then there's the minor villains that have freaking power ups for completing, but often I'll just choose one because I want to see that particular story again. I can't even believe all the work Lyman put into this game, it's actually over kill. Each major villain has two separate story lines with different music and shots? Totally unnecessary, but is awesome at home.

Also, the theme integration will never be topped in another game. I honestly didn't think a pinball machine could embody a theme like this one does (maybe the Hobbit?). Which leads to the best part of this game for me, it's just super fun and I'm regularly in a better mood after playing a game on it. In contrast, while I love TNA, I will admit that sometimes it actually puts me in a worse mood when I'm done flailing on it. BM66 almost always has me laughing at some point in the game (I'm not sure any other pinball machine has actually made me laugh).

Anyway, sorry for the Bible but BM66 is that rare pinball machine that I could see owning forever (famous last words) and I don't have the luxury of a big collection.

#28 4 years ago

BM66 v MM remake?

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

BM66 v MM remake?

I prefer MMR.

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

BM66 v MM remake?

Do you like toys or smooth shots? MMr
Do you like deep rule sets? BM66

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

BM66 v MM remake?

If you can't decide between your Tron and MMr, I will do a temporary trade with you.

#32 4 years ago
Quoted from guymontag451:

Do you like toys or smooth shots? MMr
Do you like deep rule sets? BM66

7333EED6-D907-46E3-9B43-54429EF17E3F (resized).png7333EED6-D907-46E3-9B43-54429EF17E3F (resized).png

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

BM66 v MM remake?

I own an original MM and BM66. Love both. But if I was buying one today I would buy BM66.

#34 4 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

I own an original MM and BM66. Love both. But if I was buying one today I would buy BM66.

BM is significantly or somewhat cheaper and MM will soon have (?) large LCD to retrofit ($$$$).

#35 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

BM is significantly or somewhat cheaper and MM will soon have (?) large LCD to retrofit ($$$$).

BM66 I liked the animations. Reminded me of the tv show. I think if you love the theme that will forgive some of the clunkiness. The original batman people did not like the matchbox car on the left and the large joker canister.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 163.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Altoona, PA
Machine - For Sale
Grand Rapids, MI
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 144.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple

$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 34.99
Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
ScottyMods

$ 25.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

$ 27.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Fort Wayne, IN
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/please-educate-me-on-bm66 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.