(Topic ID: 190540)

Please donate to help my Pinhead friends who lost everything!!!

By PurpleTophat

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by chippe01
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20768762_1496169779.6939 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PurpleTophat.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

John Hartman has been as good a friend as I could ever ask for for over 20 years. A couple of nights ago, he woke up in his Portland apartment to fire and smoke. When he opened the bedroom door, he saw that the entire apartment was engulfed in fire. Purely on instinct he knew that he'd better run for his life and hope to find a way to safety. Without a second to get his bearings or even grab his phone, he somehow found his way out through fire and smoke and was admitted to the hospital for smoke inhalation of burns. That was around 4am. His long time girlfriend Melissa had been out of town for a pinball tournament with her team and wasn't able to get back to the shocking scene until 10am. Apparently, one of the apartments below them had caught fire and it ended up burning their entire apartment down completely.

The attached picture shows what was left of their place. They lost everything. All they have left is what little Melissa had in her suitcase for the pinball tournament and the t-shirt and boxers John had been sleeping in. That's it. That's all that is left of everything they own.

These are GOOD people. These are good PINBALL people. Last I checked, John was ranked 20th in Oregon, and if you know that pinball scene, you've gotta be pretty damn good to rank that high! He's a lot better than my sorry self, that's for sure! Melissa is ranked 62nd in Oregon. Again, quite the player. She is one of the great champions of women in pinball that we have in this hobby. She created and self publishes the pinball Zine "Slap Save" for the Portland market, and has started and run NUMEROUS pinball events and tournaments. They don't own any machines themselves (although they were saving for one before this happened), but still they both play EVERY DAY. They are the types who can talk pinball with you for hours and hours and only stop because they have to.

I can't even imagine if I lost everything I owned, yet their spirits are high and Melissa is even finding a way to keep the next issue of Slap Save on target for release. John has been released from the hospital and is doing much better now. They keep a strong front for the sake of each other, but the truth is that they need help. Melissa's sister started up a GoFundMe for them to help get them back on their feet. I know John doesn't like to ask for charity, but there are times in life when we all need a bit of help, and right now they could use a lot. So please, if any of you can spare even a few dollars to help these great folks out, I would be very grateful, and I know how grateful they will be. Thanks so much for reading this and for any help you might give to them!

This is the link to the fundraiser: https://www.gofundme.com/melissa-johns-fire-recovery-fund

20768762_1496169779.6939 (resized).jpg20768762_1496169779.6939 (resized).jpg

#4 6 years ago

Yeah, I agree it is a collossal shame that they didn't have renters insurance!

Huge thanks to everyone who has helped! Thanks also for making this a sticky topic!!

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from JerryB:

I just signed up for Pinside and this is the first post I read. I can't spare much, but $25 is on it's way.

Thanks so much!

I just spoke with John on the phone. He is doing better. He says he is going to most likely have some permanent scars on his hand and forearm, but the mental anguish is the harder part. He wanted me to express to you all that they wouldn't be getting through this if it weren't for the kindness and generosity of so many people, many of which they have never even met, so thank you more than words can say!

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from Insane:

Hopefully this will get anyone that reads this to get some renters insurance, if they don't have it.

Such a good point and such an IMPORTANT point! The wife and I rented for 2 years and never had it. It was always "oh, we'll call soon". You never think it will happen to you. Well it does happen, and it can happen to anyone at any time!

Huge thanks again to everybody who is helping! We are well over half way to the goal! I knew Pinsiders were going to help. Say what you will about the bickering and complaining that goes on here on certain threads, but at the heart of it, this community is still filled with a lot of kind, generous people who look out for one another. It's amazing to witness, and John and Melissa (and I) can't thank you enough!

#18 6 years ago

Sorry to sound like a broken record of thank yous, but I know how much these donations mean to them and how badly they need it, so again, thank you all so much for the well wishes and donations!!!!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PurpleTophat.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/please-donate-to-help-my-pinhead-friends-who-lost-everything?tu=PurpleTophat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.