(Topic ID: 190540)

Please donate to help my Pinhead friends who lost everything!!!

By PurpleTophat

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by chippe01
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20768762_1496169779.6939 (resized).jpg

#1 2 years ago

John Hartman has been as good a friend as I could ever ask for for over 20 years. A couple of nights ago, he woke up in his Portland apartment to fire and smoke. When he opened the bedroom door, he saw that the entire apartment was engulfed in fire. Purely on instinct he knew that he'd better run for his life and hope to find a way to safety. Without a second to get his bearings or even grab his phone, he somehow found his way out through fire and smoke and was admitted to the hospital for smoke inhalation of burns. That was around 4am. His long time girlfriend Melissa had been out of town for a pinball tournament with her team and wasn't able to get back to the shocking scene until 10am. Apparently, one of the apartments below them had caught fire and it ended up burning their entire apartment down completely.

The attached picture shows what was left of their place. They lost everything. All they have left is what little Melissa had in her suitcase for the pinball tournament and the t-shirt and boxers John had been sleeping in. That's it. That's all that is left of everything they own.

These are GOOD people. These are good PINBALL people. Last I checked, John was ranked 20th in Oregon, and if you know that pinball scene, you've gotta be pretty damn good to rank that high! He's a lot better than my sorry self, that's for sure! Melissa is ranked 62nd in Oregon. Again, quite the player. She is one of the great champions of women in pinball that we have in this hobby. She created and self publishes the pinball Zine "Slap Save" for the Portland market, and has started and run NUMEROUS pinball events and tournaments. They don't own any machines themselves (although they were saving for one before this happened), but still they both play EVERY DAY. They are the types who can talk pinball with you for hours and hours and only stop because they have to.

I can't even imagine if I lost everything I owned, yet their spirits are high and Melissa is even finding a way to keep the next issue of Slap Save on target for release. John has been released from the hospital and is doing much better now. They keep a strong front for the sake of each other, but the truth is that they need help. Melissa's sister started up a GoFundMe for them to help get them back on their feet. I know John doesn't like to ask for charity, but there are times in life when we all need a bit of help, and right now they could use a lot. So please, if any of you can spare even a few dollars to help these great folks out, I would be very grateful, and I know how grateful they will be. Thanks so much for reading this and for any help you might give to them!

This is the link to the fundraiser: https://www.gofundme.com/melissa-johns-fire-recovery-fund

20768762_1496169779.6939 (resized).jpg

#2 2 years ago

Ugh, that's awful. Glad everyone is safe.

Do you know if their renters insurance (if they have it) will help cover this?

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Ugh, that's awful. Glad everyone is safe.
Do you know if their renters insurance (if they have it) will help cover this?

From the campaign: "All of their belongings were lost. They don't have renters insurance and as such is completely at the mercy of the goodwill of their community, family, and friends to help them rebuild their life, and find a new place to live. "

It's a damn shame they didn't have renters insurance. This kind of disaster is exactly what it's there for.

#4 2 years ago

Yeah, I agree it is a collossal shame that they didn't have renters insurance!

Huge thanks to everyone who has helped! Thanks also for making this a sticky topic!!

#5 2 years ago

I just signed up for Pinside and this is the first post I read. I can't spare much, but $25 is on it's way.

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from JerryB:

I just signed up for Pinside and this is the first post I read. I can't spare much, but $25 is on it's way.

Thanks so much!

I just spoke with John on the phone. He is doing better. He says he is going to most likely have some permanent scars on his hand and forearm, but the mental anguish is the harder part. He wanted me to express to you all that they wouldn't be getting through this if it weren't for the kindness and generosity of so many people, many of which they have never even met, so thank you more than words can say!

#7 2 years ago

Hopefully this will get anyone that reads this to get some renters insurance, if they don't have it. My wife is an insurance agent, and it is usually not that much money. Especially if you can get it with the same company you have car insurance and get multi-policy discounts. Donation heading your way.

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from Insane:

Hopefully this will get anyone that reads this to get some renters insurance, if they don't have it.

Such a good point and such an IMPORTANT point! The wife and I rented for 2 years and never had it. It was always "oh, we'll call soon". You never think it will happen to you. Well it does happen, and it can happen to anyone at any time!

Huge thanks again to everybody who is helping! We are well over half way to the goal! I knew Pinsiders were going to help. Say what you will about the bickering and complaining that goes on here on certain threads, but at the heart of it, this community is still filled with a lot of kind, generous people who look out for one another. It's amazing to witness, and John and Melissa (and I) can't thank you enough!

#9 2 years ago

Super nice people, glad to see people helping out

#10 2 years ago

I don't know anything about the legal system or insurance, but am kind of curious. If the fire started in the apartment below them wouldn't that renter have to cover the cost of the other apartments? I'm only basing this off of car insurance as the person that causes the car accident has to pay for the other persons damage. Regardless, a small donation sent there way. Such a terrible thing to go through and hope they get back on their feet quickly.

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from Monk:

I don't know anything about the legal system or insurance, but am kind of curious. If the fire started in the apartment below them wouldn't that renter have to cover the cost of the other apartments? I'm only basing this off of car insurance as the person that causes the car accident has to pay for the other persons damage. Regardless, a small donation sent there way. Such a terrible thing to go through and hope they get back on their feet quickly.

I believe renter's insurance only covers the renter, not others that may be affected by an incident caused by your unit, possessions, or actions. A civil case could possibly be filed but good luck getting much from renters that usually are not very wealthy.

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I believe renter's insurance only covers the renter, not others that may be affected by an incident caused by your unit, possessions, or actions. A civil case could possibly be filed but good luck getting much from renters that usually are not very wealthy.

My AAA renters insurance had a $200k liability policy as well. Didn't even cost much more but would cover my ass if I ended up on the hook for damages to the building. I don't know if it covered damage to other residents property or just the structure itself.

#13 2 years ago

My son also lost all his possessions in an apartment fire, started by an older woman burning candles. He too did not have renters insurance, he does now, and it is rather cheap.
His landlord at least gave him his security deposit and that months rent back.

#14 2 years ago

Why would I want to waste money on Renters Insurance that I could be spending on playing pinball?

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from guyincognito:

Why would I want to waste money on Renters Insurance that I could be spending on playing pinball?

Because this is what can happen.

As much as I love pinball, not a single game comes close to gambling with the possibility of losing everything I own.

#16 2 years ago

made a donation. glad your friend was able to tell you the story & his loved-one was is able to return to him to hear it as well

#17 2 years ago

its a total shame this happened. i hope they get everything back in order soon. as far as the renters insurance comments and how you cant control neighbors, buy your own home. i would sell all of my gameroom to keep my home or get one. priorities..... best of wishes to john and melissa

#18 2 years ago

Sorry to sound like a broken record of thank yous, but I know how much these donations mean to them and how badly they need it, so again, thank you all so much for the well wishes and donations!!!!

#19 2 years ago

Sad that it happened to your friends but good that the fundraiser has passed the target!!

#20 2 years ago

100$ sent!

#21 2 years ago

Hope my $100 will help. Good luck !

#22 2 years ago
Quoted from Monk:

Auto insurance is different based on the state you reside in. Have fun with "No-Fault" auto insurance....

#23 2 years ago
Quoted from TheDrewster:

Because this is what can happen.
As much as I love pinball, not a single game comes close to gambling with the possibility of losing everything I own.

If a single game of pinball ever came CLOSE to being worth losing everything you own -- that would be a damn epic game of pinball.

#24 2 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

If a single game of pinball ever came CLOSE to being worth losing everything you own -- that would be a damn epic game of pinball.

A FULLY working Magic Girl?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 9.95
€ 3.70
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 149.00
$ 8,500.00
Pinball Machine
PinballSTAR Amusements
$ 28.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 35.95
Playfield - Other
MicksPinball
$ 27.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 7,199.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D MODS
$ 19.99
Playfield - Plastics
Docquest Pinball Mods
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 39.95
$ 89.99
$ 6.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
$ 24.95
Playfield - Decals
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 2.00
Various Other Swag
Project Pinball Charity
$ 999.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 279.95

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside