Topic Stats

• 59 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by vid1900
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_2372.jpg
IMG_2371.jpg
IMG_2370.jpg
image.jpeg

There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 3 years ago

My best friend texted me today and writes: I have a friend from town that wants to get rid of their pinball machine for free. it still works. one bad flipper. Do you want it for free?
my response : absolutely. do you happen to know the name?
"no. they don't know. call her monday. very nice people.

so here is what i think (the couple is around 40 y.o): how don't you know the name of your machine?!! so my guess is its an EM. if it were newer, i think the probability of them knowing the name would be much higher. i.e. if it were a "KISS" or an "ELVIS" they would have remembered. one flipper doesn't work and they are aware of that (but not the name? lol): means they hardly play it and once the flipper broke for the 400th time they gave up fixing it. kids don't play it anymore/they need the room so they are tossing it. definitely an EM. maybe an early 90's game that isn't a licensed game, making it possible they don't know the name yet still being a SS? wishful thinking?

just not an EM guy…but maybe this will be my path to the EM world.
give me your best deductive reasoning for why its a solid state game……(or maybe you agree with my hunch?)

#2 3 years ago
Quoted from yoshootme:

My best friend texted me today and writes: I have a friend from town that wants to get rid of their pinball machine for free. it still works. one bad flipper. Do you want it for free?
my response : absolutely. do you happen to know the name?
"no. they don't know. call her monday. very nice people.
so here is what i think (the couple is around 40 y.o): how don't you know the name of your machine?!! so my guess is its an EM. if it were newer, i think the probability of them knowing the name would be much higher. i.e. if it were a "KISS" or an "ELVIS" they would have remembered. one flipper doesn't work and they are aware of that (but not the name? lol): means they hardly play it and once the flipper broke for the 400th time they gave up fixing it. kids don't play it anymore/they need the room so they are tossing it. definitely an EM. maybe an early 90's game that isn't a licensed game, making it possible they don't know the name yet still being a SS? wishful thinking?
just not an EM guy…but maybe this will be my path to the EM world.
give me your best deductive reasoning for why its a solid state game……(or maybe you agree with my hunch?)

Some people just don't care what it's called. Do you know the make and model of your toaster oven or microwave? That's basically how they sometimes see a pinball machine.

There are a boatload of unlicenced SS games, so just because it isn't a recognizable A-list pin, doesn't automatically mean it's an EM.

Personally, I would follow through on it. Even if it's something you're not interested in, I would grab it and try to find another collector who might want it just to save it from going in the trash.

However, there's also the possibility it's a home version or toy.

You never really know until you actually see it.

#3 3 years ago

Odds are a home pin.

Good luck !

LTG : )™

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from yoshootme:

call her monday.

what is wrong with calling them today, unless the number you have is a work number?

#5 3 years ago

Free....my favorite price to pay for a pin.

#6 3 years ago

Its free, why dont you have it on a truck yet?

#8 3 years ago

The "black Elvis" machine......aaahhh!!!!

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

what is wrong with calling them today, unless the number you have is a work number?

my friend seemed to make it a point to "call them monday"…so i am just honoring the request.

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

The "black Elvis" machine......aaahhh!!!!

aghhhhh. it never occurred to me it could be one of those kind of pins!!!!!!!

#11 3 years ago

My buddy had somebody contact them saying they had a getaway and another pin from the 50's. My buddy asked for pics and it was a Bally Frontier.

#13 3 years ago

Its an old pin, maybe it has a Castle on the upper left side. Or another possibility, a large spinning disc in the center.

#14 3 years ago

I kind of like the art on Aspen. If a home pin were free, I think I'd take it even if it were black Elvis.

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from yoshootme:

... how don't you know the name of your machine?...

When I called about what turned out to be Future Spa all they knew was "Bailey-something".

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

I kind of like the art on Aspen. If a home pin were free, I think I'd take it even if it were black Elvis.

you mean there really is a "black elvis"?!

#17 3 years ago

another piece of news. I texted my friend and asked if he knew if it were a toy or not and he said "they (the family) are worth quite a bit of money, I really doubt its a toy"!!!! new hope

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from yoshootme:

are worth quite a bit of money

Oh that clinches it. People worth quite a bit of money wouldn't own the piece of crap they have in store for you.

Good luck.

#19 3 years ago

I am taking a guess: its a Whitewater or a High Speed II.......

#20 3 years ago

I'm guessing CB Charlie or Demolition Derby. Neither working.

Disclaimer : I do hope it is something good for your sake.

#21 3 years ago

"I go to my favorite hot dog stand
And the dude says, "You come here all the time! Here's one for free."
I said, "Man! What I look like? A charity case?"

I took it and threw it on the ground!
I don't need your handouts!
I'm an adult!
Please!
You can't buy me hot dog man!"

If it sucks, "Happy Birthday to the Ground!"

#22 3 years ago
Quoted from yoshootme:

I am taking a guess: its a Whitewater or a High Speed II.......

Dream big!

#23 3 years ago

I got an early Bally solid state under similar circumstances, name wasn't known. It didn't work, etc. Either way, free.

#24 3 years ago

Keep us posted on what the machine is when you call tomorrow

#25 3 years ago

If they are around 40 and rather wealthy I'd guess they got it 10 to 15 years ago... probably 10.

At the time it was probably a 5-10 year old game... so 15-25 years old... 1990-2000 era... so I'm going with Solid state... and probably even a DMD...

Probably has to be kid friendly... I'm thinking TAF just based upon unit volume.

Else... Rocky and Bullwinkle, Apollo 13, BTTF, Batman, Bugs Bunny, Funhouse, Gilligan's Island, Hook, Jurassic Park, Popeye, Space Jam, STTNG, SWT, Tee'd Off, Simpsons, TOM, ... AFM or MM if one is dreaming... and extremely lucky.

Regardless it's free and you can part it out or resell it or salvage the backglass/translite and playfield for wall art if you need.

I'm jealous and anxious to hear what it is tomorrow.

#26 3 years ago

It's probably Medieval Madness. They bought it NIB because the castle reminded them of their family's rich noble history.

#27 3 years ago
Quoted from Geocab:

It's probably Medieval Madness. They bought it NIB because the castle reminded them of their family's rich noble history.

now you're talking! lol

#28 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I'm guessing CB Charlie or Demolition Derby. Neither working.
Disclaimer : I do hope it is something good for your sake.

I knew you would lloyd.... and my guess is you will think this is better than I do but I am still happy to go pick it up....its a Stern, 1978, Memory Lane....
no clue about this era of games . anyone have any comments on it please fire away. she took a picture of the back box and it seemed to be in very good condition there anyway. good game? boring game? trouble keeping running game? anyone?.....thanks, Yo.

#29 3 years ago

Check the archive on pinside. There's a couple reviews.

#30 3 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Check the archive on pinside. There's a couple reviews.

saw those...I think the first review was likely from Stern! lol

#31 3 years ago

Its half a EM, with chimes, but its free. I got excited once, my wife said someone she worked with had a pinball machine that they wanted to get rid of, i got all hyped up, of course they weren't sure what it was, after a few days of anticipation it turned out to be a em elton john.

#32 3 years ago

nice looking bowling pin. expect to replace the mpu because of ni-cad corrosion

#33 3 years ago

whay the heck is a Stern Memory Lane?

#34 3 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

whay the heck is a Stern Memory Lane?

that's what I said! (of course, under my breath, as i was shown the picture of the game! lol)

#35 3 years ago

Memory Lanes is Stern's alter ego of Bally's Strikes and Spares without the smoking girl.
More limited rules, similar layout, less shots but there is a 3bank of drops, and a pretty cool backglass.

Definitely worth $0.00, and is a SS.

#37 3 years ago
Quoted from crlush:

Its half a EM, with chimes, but its free. I got excited once, my wife said someone she worked with had a pinball machine that they wanted to get rid of, i got all hyped up, of course they weren't sure what it was, after a few days of anticipation it turned out to be a em elton john.

You were bummed it was a Captain Fantastic? Thats one of the more highly sought after EMs and a damn fun game.

#38 3 years ago
Quoted from yoshootme:

I knew you would lloyd.... and my guess is you will think this is better than I do but I am still happy to go pick it up....its a Stern, 1978, Memory Lane....
no clue about this era of games . anyone have any comments on it please fire away. she took a picture of the back box and it seemed to be in very good condition there anyway. good game? boring game? trouble keeping running game? anyone?.....thanks, Yo.

Rectifier boards are always trouble on Stern's of this generation, but on a game this old the board may be in the head instead of the cab, which is to your advantage.
MPU Board often corroded with acid damage, but not always. Alltek fixes that right up.

Nice freebie--don't knock it--see what you got!

#39 3 years ago
Quoted from practicalsteve:

You were bummed it was a Captain Fantastic? Thats one of the more highly sought after EMs and a damn fun game.

Sorry can't stand it.

#40 3 years ago

I had a Memory Lane once. It was my first major board work...when I picked it up about half a board was wiped out by battery corrosion. I managed to hack it back to life and that was a cool experience. Learned a lot from that machine.

Beautiful art, especially the backglass (though the reds are almost sure to be flaky from this era). Gameplay is pretty bad. Two spinners but the geometry makes them crappy shots. The rollovers for the pins will give you fits trying to adjust them (at least mine did).

No matter what, free is great. Get it running and cleaned up and it should be a pretty easy few hundred bucks.

#41 3 years ago

Keep us posted when you find out! I have been in this situation before and have always been disappointed, but it's still a rush every time. You can't complain too much about a potentially free machine, but when you are envisioning a popular DMD title and pictures are sent of a beat-up EM, it can be a little disheartening!

#42 3 years ago

IMG_2371.JPGIMG_2370.JPG

#43 3 years ago

That would be in my vehicle in a heartbeat.

#44 3 years ago

If you decide you do not want it
i will take it off your hands.

#45 3 years ago

WOW looks good!!!

#46 3 years ago

Looks like it will clean up VERY well. Congrats!

#47 3 years ago

IMG_2372.JPG

#48 3 years ago

Free, you say?!?! That's for me.

#49 3 years ago

Free is good, now fire it up!!

#50 3 years ago

Sweet find! That's a good game actually! Love the artwork and that Backglass looks pretty nice!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Albemarle, NC
$ 19.95
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 21.00
$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D MODS
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Pinball Machine
Flip N Out Pinball
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside