Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by EM-PINMAN
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

hank_and_iggy.jpg
    HauntedHouse.jpg
    HountedHouseShotCounter.jpg
    #1 9 years ago

I've got some vacation time to burn and would love to tinker with my Midway Haunted House project. The game is complete except for the score motor... It was MIA when I bought the game so I have nothing to work with.

Does anybody have one or know a friend of a friend that might have one? The motor assembly I need is circled in the picture, there are several different Midway gun games that used this part, it sits between the score motor and shot counter...

I tried PBR and Coin Op Warehouse. Any other likely sources?

HountedHouseShotCounter.jpgHountedHouseShotCounter.jpg HauntedHouse.jpgHauntedHouse.jpg
    #2 9 years ago

I would be curious if it can be repaired instead?

You might want to consider a donor machine as well. Another Midway game possibly for a few hundred bucks.

#3 9 years ago

I'd be very interested in a donor game, any Midway with the same configuration. I combed the Chicagoland Show looking for one but no joy...

No options are off the table, if some other motor would work, or if there's a hack to bypass the motor to get the game going I'd love to hear about it.

Unfortunately my game is missing the whole assembly, just some wires hanging where the motor used to be (the picture above is from another game). So repair isn't an option

#4 9 years ago

Contact Pinball Resource. I got a brand new Midway motor from them for under $100 a couple of years ago. He has some new motors and is the official repair shop for those.
    good luck.

#5 9 years ago

OP said he contacted PBR with no luck!!

#6 9 years ago

Thanks Izzy,

I tried PBR already... I even had the part number

I tried CoinOp Warehouse too, no parts or donor machines right now. I'm hoping someone in the community has one in their parts stashes somewhere...

I have some trade bait, I'd trade a project Sinbad for the motor or a donor game with the motor? I'm in the Chicago burbs btw...

#7 9 years ago

Unfortunately, when the motors failed, it was quite common for an operator to pull one from a warehouse game, never bothering to put the bad one back in the donor game.

It was also used in some Midway Wall games (Hank and Iggy Darts, Mini golf etc.)with the rolling score reels. Not that they are any cheaper than a gun gallery but it will expand the possibilities for finding one.

#8 9 years ago

I'm pretty sure flippers.com has your motor, but its a small fortune from him. Did you tell steve the part number on that motor? I'd be surprised if he didn't have it. The transfer cams (the white nylon parts that connect the motor to the reels) are very difficult to find. Try Steve young on those, or john at flippers.com. I do believe I have an extra motor. I'm very hesitant to let it go, as I own 3 games that use this motor, but if it will bring a dead game back to life, and you have truly exhausted your sources, I can be convinced. PM me if so. I do not have any extra nylon transfer cams, you will have to source those elsewhere.
    Phil

#9 9 years ago

If its 40-2105 on flippers.com's website, I don't think $250 is totally out of line for this motor. Before Multiproducts stopped selling the old motors, we had to pay $250 each and a minimum order of 10 to get them to build any motor. And that was for a single frame motor, not sure what they would have wanted for a double frame unit. The days of a $75 M/P motor are long gone unless you get very lucky.

Not sure of the OP's budget or game condition but it seems that a number of these Midway games are very desirable and typically sell for north of $1000 when fully working. $250 to help complete a game is not out of line, not even for this cheap bastard doing the typing. I know John's pricing can be high at times but at least he has this old stuff and makes it available to others that a missing that one part to get their game functioning again. Steve at PBR does the same thing but his prices were typically much lower which is why he is not out of stock now on a lot of those kind of items.

If you are willing to sell one for less, I commend you!

#10 9 years ago

$330 & $390 were the first two motors and prices I saw under Midway and did not have a part number to reference quickly, and those seemed pretty steep. 40-1899 is the correct part number according to my records. I would contact John first, if not hit me up.

#11 9 years ago

PhilC- Thanks!

40-1899 was the part number I gave Steve at PBR when I talked to him. As I recall we had a conversation and there was some confusion as to whether this was the correct part number for the assembly or just the motor itself? I can't remember what was said. In either case, he said he had them at one point but his inventory was exhausted...

John at Flippers.com had replied to an October post I started on RGP looking for this motor and he said he didn't have it. Here's that post:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/rec.games.pinball/midway$20haunted$20house$20motor/rec.games.pinball/xjbLlTP1Otc/DIg4rNvFILAJ

Although I did browse his site afterward and I found a similar looking motor for a Dog Fight game? I had emailed him for clarification but I never got a response. He knows more about these games than I do, and since he said he didn't have one I was reluctant to buy the similar looking one and ship it overseas only to find it won't work in my game...

I'll PM you shortly PhilC. Any other info/leads are much appreciated!

#12 9 years ago

Wow, I didn't realize these were getting so hard to find.

Time for somebody to adapt something from Granger.

Does anybody know the specs on the motor, RPM, etc?

#13 9 years ago
    Quoted from gearheaddropping:

That's why I went with a Williams Gun game, plenty of parts and easier to service. I do love the Midway Haunted House Gun game though and would love playing it again, just don't want to own any Midway games with motorized Score Wheels for reasons stated.

Ken

#14 9 years ago
    Quoted from gearheaddropping:

Time for somebody to adapt something from Granger.
    Does anybody know the specs on the motor, RPM, etc?

The problem is that it is a Bi-Directional AC motor with a shaft sticking out both sides. I has one lamination to go CW and a 2nd for CCW. Plus, you have the short but thick shaft lengths and also, as I recall, a double D cut on the shaft ends to mate with those Nylon joints. This one is not so bad. The worst one is the one for Twin Pirate Guns since its different all together and built less robust (more plastic parts).

I suppose if needed, someone could replace the motor with a shaft and toothed pulley and then run a toothed belt to a single shaft motor with a bi-directional winding. The pulley sizing could help to adapt a stock RPM to the required speed. But that would depend on if there is room to mount another motor. Suddenly, even $400 doesn't sound all that bad for plug and play. I can't see someone putting together a motor, belt, pulley and mounting bracket kit for less.

#15 9 years ago

40-1899 is the part number for the motor, not the entire assembly.
    Someone seriously needs to step up and reproduce these transfer cams/gears, as they are unobtainium. With 3d printers being as popular as they are, is there someone on here that can make a batch of them? I would be willing to loan one out to have it reproduced if so. Sure, you could machine one out of solid plastic stock, but there have been enough people looking for these over the years that its a part that should be made.

#16 9 years ago

I know it is pretty close quarters but, can't a flex coupling like this be used:

http://www.mpja.com/Shaft-Coupling-Aluminum-1_4in-to-1_4in/productinfo/31190%20HD

10 months later
    #17 8 years ago

Yes, I know this topic is pretty old, but did anyone in the meantime come up with a motor source? Just for sake of argument, how would one get a motor like this reproduced and what would be an extremely, super-rough, ballpark cost?

#18 8 years ago

ebay.com link: Vintage Arcade Pinball Double Score Reel Assembly

this looks pretty close , sure you could get this to work

#19 8 years ago

Thanks. I was asking though as I was going to see how feasible it was to maybe reproduce the midway score motors.

I think getting those made, as well as the nylon transfer cams, would save a lot of games. If someone could send me the dimensions of one of those cams, as well as some photos from different sides, I could probably get a buddy of mine to take a look to see how feasible it would be to fully repro the part.

#20 8 years ago
    Quoted from parkway:

Thanks. I was asking though as I was going to see how feasible it was to maybe reproduce the midway score motors.

I think getting those made, as well as the nylon transfer cams, would save a lot of games.

Yep.

That's why I didn't buy a Midway Haunted House and instead got a Williams Phantom Gun, plenty of parts available, even restored a 2nd one for a buddy.

You should talk to Steve at PBR and see what he can and would be willing to do.

Just my 2 cents.

Ken

#21 8 years ago

Yup I saw your game. Super nice job and made me go on the hunt for one of my own. I'd like to try to make HH not so "scary" from a parts perspective though (pun intended).

Thank you for the suggestion about Steve. I will reach out and see what he can tell me.

#22 8 years ago

Has anyone tried the forum KLOV, those guys are video game die hards and I recall going there once and they were really into reproducing stuff for 8 track tapes and all kinds of parts being discussed.

http://forums.arcade-museum.com

#23 8 years ago

Yup been a member there since 2007. I have not asked about repro'ing the motor there though. Good idea. I will throw it out there to see. As for the transfer cams, just waiting to hear back to see if it's a go.

#24 8 years ago
    Quoted from parkway:

I have not asked about repro'ing the motor there though.

I thought Steve at PBR had Midway Motors already?

Ken

#25 8 years ago

He has some of them but I don't think he has the 40-1899. At least it's not listed on his page. If he's already repro'ing them, then that would definitely save me some trouble. I haven't gotten around to calling him to inquire yet.

#26 8 years ago

gesh if its the same motor from the hank and iggy dart game you should be able to find one of those easy enough. I have seen 2 or 3 and I have one myself that I picked up for under 200. most of those dart games don't have the controllers and are serving as wall art.. motor wouldn't even be missed if that was the case. id check the motor number its just mine is in an awkward spot for access.

hank_and_iggy.jpghank_and_iggy.jpg

#27 8 years ago

A little tangent here but what is a fair market price for a HH in avg or above avg condition?

#28 8 years ago

In so cal at auction. Complete working with very good cosmetics, I would say in the $1K range.

#29 8 years ago
    Quoted from CactusJack:

In so cal at auction. Complete working with very good cosmetics, I would say in the $1K range.

A nice one on eBay just sold for $1600.00. I have seen them sell for over $2000.00 if near cherry.

ebay.com link: Midways HAUNTED HOUSE Gun Game Coin Operated Arcade

Ken

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/plea-for-midway-score-motor-for-72-haunted-house-gun-game and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.