(Topic ID: 128621)

Playmatic Space Gambler LED's out, No sound.

By logicsound

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 months ago by aeneas
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

decoder.JPG
decoder2.JPG
decoder3.JPG
ipmd.jpg
backglass_front.JPG
backglass_back.JPG

#1 5 years ago

Just purchased a Playmatic Space Gambler for $100. The major issues I need help with are the LEDS scoring and sound (also right flipper but think it just needs adjusting). The game will start and shows ball one, ball gets kicked and you can play, bumpers, targets work and when the ball drains it goes to ball 2 and kicks to shooter so it seems that's all working. What is not working is the scoring or sound. Scoring first, on the backglass there are 4 sections of leds that are suppose to light up, on my back glass only the last 2 digits of players 2-4 light up, as you can see in the pictures I attached they are different section of LEDS that don't work. This is my first SS pinball so not really sure where to start (all fuses look good) I know from my searching that it's hard to get help on playmatics but hoping someone can help.

THANKS!!
pic will all lights on is from IPMD for ref on how it's suppose to look.

backglass_back.JPG backglass_front.JPG ipmd.jpg
#2 5 years ago

Ok so I worked on it a little bit tonight and I think I have narrowed both issues down to the decoder board. What I found is if I unplug the 4 wire sets that run from decoder to leds then the sound starts working, it sounds bad but it does work. I have attached pics of the decoder board and what I unplugged. Any ideas what to do next?

decoder3.JPG decoder2.JPG decoder.JPG
#3 5 years ago

So no progress....actually now the machine is finicky about starting a new game. Seems like the credit likes to reset back to 15 sometimes and wont start a new game, other times it will stay at say 11 but will still not start new game....after pressing button and flipper buttons a bunch of times it finally starts a new game. I found the manual here http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/2250/Playmatic_Space_Gambler.pdf but did not help much...any help would be greatly appreciated

#4 5 years ago

Kinda lonely in here..... Not sure if anyone is listening but writing this out seems to be helping me at least...

I have found that the 2 leds player 2-4 that I thought were working are really just lamps behind them so no leds work.

GOOD NEWS: I have also found that if I disconnect all connectors that go from decoder to LEDS then the game plays perfect besides the LEDS, sound works,credits works, new game, etc, its also keeping score because I manually kept track and got a free ball at the correct score.

BAD NEWS: Not sure what above means and the next step, I am hoping someone can chime in and point me in right direction.

At this point I will take any reply...even a "sorry can't help but good luck" just give me something!!! LOL!! all jokes aside I am hoping someone will reply with some SS LED/Decoder knowledge

THANKS!!

#5 5 years ago

nothing? are all the experts on vacation?

#6 5 years ago

I will suggest that most folks are totally unfamiliar with Playmatic boardsets, as they are not very common in the States.

I would also suggest that your troubleshooting of the decoder board has already borne fruit: your problem lies in that board, and you will need to test all components to verify what is going wrong. I usually start with power - you will need to read the schematics to determine the amount of voltage you should have coming into the board and verify that it matches pretty closely.

I would suspect that based on the bahavior, that it is either a bad diode or set of diodes or some bad transistors/thyristors.

That said, I've never worked on nor seen a Playmatic game, and I would wager that many lurking on the board have not either.

This problem will require patience, a meter and possibly a logic probe to correct. Thankfully the manual does detail inputs and outputs (normal) for each IC. It also has a handy troubleshooting section, which, though not very well translated, is serviceable.

Good luck!
-Nick

#7 5 years ago

Thanks Nick! I am hoping to get nick and familiar with the decoder board this week, I will report back what I find. Thanks again for replying!!

4 years later
#8 11 months ago

So I am finally getting back into troubleshooting this pin. If anyone has any ideas or tips let me know, otherwise, I will continue to use this post to track my progress.

#9 11 months ago

I have some Playmatic documentation scanned at http://www.flippers.be/playmatic.html
I had this machine about 15 years ago, don't have it anymore, don't know more than what I put online many years ago..
but maybe it's helpful for you

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods
$ 14.95
Playfield - Decals
COINTAKER.COM
$ 40.00
$ 115.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
£ 50.00
Cabinet - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods
$ 75.00
$ 1,348.00
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 208.87
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 34.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
COINTAKER.COM
$ 154.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Id Rather Play Pinball
Gameroom - Decorations
Gameroom Mods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 3.50
Various Other Swag
UpKick Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside