(Topic ID: 196818)

Playmatic, How good are their pinball machines?

By Grayman_EM

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by KenLayton
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Fiesta left flipper (resized).JPG
DSCF2683 (resized).JPG
Square Bumpers00202_crTznALMYjD_1200x900 (resized).jpg

#1 2 years ago

I am trying to find out anything about Playmatic pinball machines and how good they are made to the other brands. I have located an EM made by them and thought about offering an amount. I have heard talk about how bad Chicago Coin is from some of you and wondered is Playmatic is any better?

#2 2 years ago
Quoted from Grayman_EM:

I am trying to find out anything about Playmatic pinball machines and how good they are made to the other brands. I have located an EM made by them and thought about offering an amount. I have heard talk about how bad Chicago Coin is from some of you and wondered is Playmatic is any better?

I have two CC machines, they are the most reliable out of the 20 here.

Just saying.

Playmatic used Williams parts on several of their machines if I recall correct, most stuff will be easy to find or adaptable, plastics and back glass being the exception of course.

#3 2 years ago

Back in the day, when you encountered new games by all the big brands I always felt Playmatic was playing in the second league. Our local arcade had a Playmatic, The 30s, which I played sometimes. It was kind of okay and I liked the slot machine in the backbox, but most of my 10ps found their way into the Gtb, Wms or B pins.

That said, I haven't played most of them, so if the price is right...

#4 2 years ago

The only problem is getting used to those square bumpers.

Square Bumpers00202_crTznALMYjD_1200x900 (resized).jpg

2 months later
#5 1 year ago

Oooh that's New World. Is it still for sale? I want it. I currently own Conquest, the single player version and this game rocks. I dropped a power ball in my game and it plays so damn fast. Game has a skill shot, super fast spinners, drop targets, and a sweet right return shot through the spinner that is so satisfying to hit. Let me know if it's still for sale.

#6 1 year ago

Square pops are the best part! I'm still looking for a fiesta or fandango. The artwork is the draw for me.

#7 1 year ago

I have worked on both Fiesta and Fandango. When working, Playmatic games are fun to play. Playfields are always in pristine condition because they are all clear coated from the factory.

Pros:

Uses clones of mostly Williams assemblies and a few Gottlieb ones too.

Clear coated playfields.

Cons:

Bad light sockets. The sockets they used are all literally falling apart now. Be prepared to replace a bunch of light sockets throughout the machine. I had a Fiesta come in for service which had the light socket in the square pop bumper short circuit and melt some wires before it blew the fuse. On that machine I also had to replace 25 light sockets that had fallen apart beyond repairing them.

Coil wrappers. Invest in a roll of double sided Scotch tape. Many of the coil wrappers fall off because of the poor glue they used. Pay particular attention to the coil wrappers on the relays because when the wrapper falls off, it can jam in the relay armature and/or relay contacts causing problems.

Metric hardware. Every screw, nut, and bolt are metric.

Square pop bumpers that are sort of like Gottlieb assemblies. Zero parts are available for these. If the skirts are chewed up, your only choice is to convert the assemblies to all Gottlieb or all Williams parts. You'll also need to install Gottlieb pop bumper spoon switch assemblies too.

Playfield switch assemblies. The switch assemblies on the playfield use riveted together parts. Somehow, the factory over-crimped the rivets causing the ends of the rivets to shear off over time. This causes the switches to literally fall apart. You have to drill out or punch out the rivets, thread the holes in the brackets to 6-32 threads and install 6-32 machine screws in whatever length is needed for the particular switch thickness. Picture of a repaired target switch added.

Flipper assemblies. This is a really weird unit. Sort of a cross between a Williams EM and a Zizzle toy pinball. The Playmatic flipper assembly uses a large modern style sized flipper coil. Take my advise and convert the flippers to full Williams system 11 assemblies and reuse the Playmatic flipper coil in it. I've added a picture of the original Playmatic flipper assembly (this is a left flipper unit).

Invest in some time to fix the problems I mention above and the game will be reliable and fun to play.

DSCF2683 (resized).JPG
Fiesta left flipper (resized).JPG

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 24.95
Playfield - Decals
Hookedonpinball.com
Playfield - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 84.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
$ 74.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Id Rather Play Pinball
$ 199.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
$ 7,999.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 5,599.00
Pinball Machine
Ghostbusters Pro Out of stock
Operation Pinball
$ 40.00
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 59.00
$ 7,499.00
Pinball Machine
Nitro Pinball USA
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 9,000.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 125.00
Lighting - Backbox
Great American Pinball
$ 29.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 15.75
Cabinet Parts
Tilted Pinball
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside