(Topic ID: 321939)

Playmatic Fiesta Flipper Wiring (Looking for some photos)

By dpapclare

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by dpapclare
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

k-DSC_1796 (resized).jpg
flip (resized).png
302322916_1105471740378337_1961603133311958874_n (resized).jpg
303241746_1782221468795493_1183615064924857598_n (resized).jpg
#1 1 year ago

Hi everyone! I recently aquired a Playmatic Fiesta for free (Woohoo! First free game!)

Unfortunately the previous owner had his hand at trying to repair the flippers when they stopped working and left the wiring a bit of a mess when it comes to the wiring on the coils, cabinet switches and even the jones connector in the front of the cabinet (near the tilt mechanisms).

I managed to clean the machine up nicely and have everything else working perfectly, but I cannot seem to figure out the flipper cabinet switch wiring and the way the coils should be wired. I was hoping to get some photos of the front Jones connector and the associated wiring for the cabinet switches. Id also love some photos of the wiring for the coils as well as the wiring has lost some of its colour over time and isn't super easy to see what is supposed to go where.

I've scoured all over and have had no luck finding any clear photos or videos and the schematics aren't very clear about plugs either. So here I am, begging for someone to share some quality photos so I can finally play my first free game. Thanks all!

Here is the short list of photos I would be very grateful to receive from another Playmatic EM owner.

- Detailed images of the wiring in the front of the cabinet, along with quality photos of the Jones connector showing all connections on both sides
- Images (or a diagram) of how the flipper cabinet switches are wired for power and ground (seems like a strange setup.)
- Images of the left and right flipper mechanisms with clear views of the wiring on the coils and EOS switches.

Thanks so much in advance!

302322916_1105471740378337_1961603133311958874_n (resized).jpg302322916_1105471740378337_1961603133311958874_n (resized).jpg303241746_1782221468795493_1183615064924857598_n (resized).jpg303241746_1782221468795493_1183615064924857598_n (resized).jpg
#2 1 year ago

Greetings.
Regarding the flippers, I made an animation video that explains the flipper wiring and operation here:
https://rumble.com/vtu4lr-technical-animation-of-an-electro-mechanical-pinball-machine-flipper.html

It is also covered in great detail in my "Basics to not so basics" thread here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-pinball-circuits-basics-to-not-so-basic/page/3#post-3511733

It is good if you completely understand the how's and why's of the circuit, but if you are just looking for a quick cheat here it is?

Your flipper coil should have 3 terminals.
One terminal, usually the center terminal will have two coil wires soldered to it. One wire will be fatter than the other.
The other two terminals will have one wire soldered to each. One fatter than the other.

The end of stroke switch is connected across the two terminals on the coil that have the thinner wire.
It is important the end of stroke switch be adjusted so it is closed during the duration of the solenoid travel, and opens almost at the very end of its stroke.
If the end of stroke switch is adjusted incorrectly then the flipper won't have much power, or you can burn out your flipper coil if it is held on for more than a few seconds.
I made a cool diagram for you.
Refer to the links above for a complete understanding of what you are doing to your game.flip (resized).pngflip (resized).png

#3 1 year ago

Hi Steve, thanks for the reply!

I do understand how flippers and flipper wiring work, but I just need some photos of the physical machine so I can see which connection point on the Jones connector the wire for the cabinet switch is coming from. Thanks for the information though!

1 week later
#4 1 year ago

hi

I have a playmatic at home. I'll try to photograph the things you' ve mentioned.

k-DSC_1796 (resized).jpgk-DSC_1796 (resized).jpg
#5 1 year ago
Quoted from dnmt_ch:

hi
I have a playmatic at home. I'll try to photograph the things you' ve mentioned.
[quoted image]

Hey thanks so much! I actually forgot to post an update to say that I managed to sort the wiring out and everything is working as it should be now. Thanks though!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playmatic-fiesta-flipper-wiring-looking-for-some-photos and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.