(Topic ID: 4644)

Playmatic Fandango Knockers

By oldskoolbob

12 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 12 years ago

Another good question for HelloDeadCity. The replay knocker on my Fandango is a little lack luster. I have serviced the chimebox and checked the coil resistance. Additionally, I checked the "A" replay switch stack. The chimes are nice and loud and they share a common 30 volt feed with the knocker. It could be a bad plug as there a couple between the chime box and the backbox. I thought I would ask you, or anyone with a Fandango. What does the PLM knocker sound like? Before I started going deeper. I expected the good ol' Chicago "Thwaack" I have a sad "thud" sniff sniff.
Thanks in advance

@HDC BTW: I see you have a "Team One" Is that an Add A Ball version of Abra Ca Dabra?
I always liked ACD

#2 12 years ago

I'll have to get back to you on the knocker Question OSB -heading out the door

I think Team One had a sister game but it was only for export to Italy forget the name?

#3 12 years ago

Thanks HDC. When ever you have time. It is clearly not mission critical. It is nice to be getting down to the little details on this project. I was a little burnt out at one point and had to back away and get some perspective.

I believe "Kicker" is the Italian version of Team One that you mentioned.
Abra Ca Dabra is the same playfield on a whole different theme. Sorta like El Dorado and Target Alpha I guess.

#4 12 years ago

Yeah I know what you mean it can burn you out,
funny for a long time I had Fandango set up next to a Wms. Big Ben
what was cool you could compare both games playing side by side
Fandango's chime unit was a higher pitch then the Wms unit and I think the knocker was more of a pop^ then the Wms. slightly lower v knock.

I know the side cabinet has a lot to do with the sound using thicker screws & washer will give it a little more.....?
can't find the right word I'm looking for (need to find a drummer on pinside)
also by placing plastic or vinyl between the chime unit and cab it tends to water down the note -a lot of trial and error testing you can do +/-

#5 12 years ago

Thanks HDC. You always have the answer. You have mad repair skills. I did not consider the fact that the PLM games have particle board side panels. Pre-dates MDF. I know better which makes this a little sad.
It seems to me many games have the knocker in the backbox. Perhaps that imparts the killer tone.
I thought the chimes had a different note than the US pins.
I like the little nuances that make this machine different.
It always nice to date a bird from across the pond, innit?

Cheers mate

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playmatic-fandango-knockers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.