Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Parker_tz
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

What is everyone's method for "defeating the power" on the mini playfield of Twilight Zone?

I am conservative on button hits. I usually hit one, watch the ball and then try to hit it again when it is back over a magnet. I am only about 50% successful in defeating the power though.

A friend hits the buttons like a super hyperactive little kid. There seems to be no calculated strategy and I am afraid it may break the machine. However he is successful about 75% of the time.

So how do you battle it?

#2 11 years ago

Hammer it

#3 11 years ago

So hyperactive button hitting is the best method?

#4 11 years ago

No, there is a science to it. I try to time it so that the ball sling shots down off the rubber then up past the magnet. I've gotten pretty good with it, but only around 30% successful I'd say.

#5 11 years ago

hit them fast as I can, like you said I hit it 75% of the time.

#6 11 years ago

I just worry that the hyper flipping will fry a board or something. However it is hard to argue with success.

#7 11 years ago

It will not 'fry the board'.

#8 11 years ago

Nothing gonna fry.. Not even leaf switches, if you wear out a transistor... It had it coming.

#9 11 years ago

Okay thanks! Now I just feel bad that someone can just pound the buttons like a three year old and have more success than me.

4 months later
#10 11 years ago

My strategy has always been to pound away like crazy, at first, to hit the bumper switches and rack up big points. Then I will carefully time my hits so that I'm only pressing when the ball is at the bottom of the magnet to try to hit the hole to double the points. This results in about a 60% success rate but gives really high point values.

#11 11 years ago

Unrelated question but... is it harder to get the balls out the top during powerball mania than during the battle the power? It seems like the magnets are weaker during the mania on every machine i've played. Just curious.

I time mine by flipping once just after the ball gets past the middle of the targets.

#12 11 years ago

When I had my TZ, my best strategy was an "all or nothing" type shot. As soon as the ball dropped into the mini play field, it travel towards the right magnet so once I nailed the timing down, I would hit the right flipper and it would shoot it straight into the power. It took some practice but would work, 70% of the time. I say its an "all or nothing" shot because if I didn't get it on that initial first flip into the play field, I would waste the next 10 seconds floundering the ball. Best of luck.

#13 11 years ago

This, usually on the right side, unless I see it going towards the left and need to knock it back over.

#14 11 years ago

I just bat the ball back and forth until its lined up over one of the black circles, then shoot for the opening, and if it comes back down on the circles again, shoot again. I typically don't try racking up switch points, rather I just go for getting an door panel award. Love the powerfield, its one of the reasons TZ will never leave.

#15 11 years ago

Another pinhead friend goes ape sh%t ( no offense, gorilla ) on it when on that playfield.I tend to thing a little more strategy is involved.

#16 11 years ago

I play the mini-playfield the same way as PinJer. When the ball first enters the mini-playfield I let it drop into the right side magnet area then try and lob it back to the top of the playfield straight away. Normally works for me about 50/50. As davewth says, timing is everything, you need to add momentum to the ball, not kill it, so it's better to press the flipper button as the ball is travelling back off the rubbers at the bottom rather than towards them. Sometimes you can bounce the ball hard off the rubbers and get to Defeat the Power that way. Try to avoid getting the ball moving from side to side on the mini-playfield, as once it starts doing that you will struggle to control it.

Yes the upper playfield magnets are weaker during Powerball Mania, as all the flippers are also in use. You can disable the upper flippers as an option during Powerball Mania, which makes the magnets more powerful again.

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from Outlane-Avoider:

Yes the upper playfield magnets are weaker during Powerball Mania, as all the flippers are also in use. You can disable the upper flippers as an option during Powerball Mania, which makes the magnets more powerful again.

I've had the game for 19 years and had no idea you could do this!

/off to adjust my TZ menu settings...

#18 11 years ago

I figured that was the case but was never certain. Thanks for that bit of info. I never knew about the disable, however. That was one of the things about the game that really pissed me off and made me sell it. Wish i had known... Meh, there are more out there.

#19 11 years ago

You can disable the upper flippers as an option during Powerball Mania, which makes the magnets more powerful again.

I did not realize this either. I will also change mine, since during Powerball mania the upper flippers are of little gain.

#20 11 years ago

Just checked in the manual:

Option A.2 29 Low Line:

If the game is being operated where low line voltage occurs, then this adjustment should be set to "Yes". It will disable the upper flippers during POWERBALL MANIA and LOST IN THE ZONE.

#21 11 years ago

It will disable the upper flippers during POWERBALL MANIA and LOST IN THE ZONE.

Then again, maybe I won't make that change. This has the potential of lowering your LITZ score by losing the upper flipper shots. I've been trying to beat TEX LITZ champion score for years now and don't need to make it more difficult.

#22 11 years ago

Wow, I never knew that either. Cool.

Also, you can adjust the playfield angle by turning the locknut on the right side up or down. There is a spring under the nut/washer. I have mine set to where I can hit the hole like 8 of 10 by hitting just one right flip when the ball first comes down.

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from Garrettw:

My strategy has always been to pound away like crazy, at first, to hit the bumper switches and rack up big points. Then I will carefully time my hits so that I'm only pressing when the ball is at the bottom of the magnet to try to hit the hole to double the points. This results in about a 60% success rate but gives really high point values.

+1

This is the best strategy. You definitely want to trigger a lot of switch hits before defeating the powerfield, particularly when you've got that thing maxed out at a million per hit.

#24 11 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

+1

This is the best strategy. You definitely want to trigger a lot of switch hits before defeating the powerfield, particularly when you've got that thing maxed out at a million per hit.

I would take the sure victory over the power to collect the door value. That's just me. If you can do both, great. That's one of the great things about TZ, different strategies and such.

#25 11 years ago

Different on all machines.

#26 11 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

I would take the sure victory over the power to collect the door value. That's just me. If you can do both, great

Same here. Door's more important to me. As for power level during Powerball Mania, I don't really notice the magnets being weaker at all. Then again, I usually get two, if not all three balls up there and eventually one gets up out the top hole.

As for strategy for the normal Battle the Power mode, I usually do a "double tap". It's a move I saw a guy do at PPE this year and he was consistently draining that top hole with it. What you do is you actually wait until the ball is almost on top of the "Flip Here" on it's way towards you and you hit the flipper button twice in succession pretty quickly. The first hit directs the ball toward the switch and after it bounces off, the second button hit will help accelerate it away. It helps to hit the button BEFORE the ball is actually on the "Flip Here" as if you hit it when it's on it, it'll be a little late and actually slow the ball down. I have had very good luck with this method since I got my TZ and I firmly believe it to work. My percentage of defeating the power is probably about 70% or more.

#27 11 years ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

My percentage of defeating the power is probably about 70% or more.

On my machine my rate is probably around there or 85%. Another machine I play it's like 10%...crazy.

#28 11 years ago

Horrible advice. That setting is known as the cheap reset fix. If your game is working properly, the upper playfield should have plenty of power during LITZ.

If this setting is enabled on a location game, players complain. Intentionally disabling flippers is never a good idea. As the manual says, it's for if your supply voltage is low. If your voltage isn't low, I strongly suggest not enabling it.

#29 11 years ago

To get a door panel, I will do pulse (short) flips when the ball is at 4-7 o'clock in "flip here" circle. It tends to get a better sling up the mini pf. Longer flips will grab the ball before it can escape the magnets pull. Still, I'm probably only successful about 2/3s of the time.

#30 11 years ago

I hammer it for points and I usually do get a door panel 3/4 times. I just can't get the hang of hitting the buttons slow, the ball always falls out of th Power when I try.

#31 11 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

Horrible advice. That setting is known as the cheap reset fix. If your game is working properly, the upper playfield should have plenty of power during LITZ.

If this setting is enabled on a location game, players complain. Intentionally disabling flippers is never a good idea. As the manual says, it's for if your supply voltage is low. If your voltage isn't low, I strongly suggest not enabling it.

Before I bought my TZ I used to go and play one that was located in a shopping mall. The top flippers were disabled on that game. When I bought my TZ I originally left it as standard with all flippers working during Powerball Mania & LITZ.

I did try disabling the top flippers for a while, as I had noticed the upper playfield magnets were a bit weaker during Powerball Mania. I returned the game back to standard soon afterwards, as I prefer the upper flippers working. My mains supply is at the correct voltage.

7 years later
#32 4 years ago

I used to get it 70% of the time when I hammered it. I stoped doing this when after it reset on 10 different Occasions during lost in zone and Powerball mania. Every time it happened I would reseat all of the connectors on the z-connector harness and it would be fine. Now I have a weird issue I can never get it up now I can only get it 10%. It is way too weak. It is like the magnets lost power I don’t know if the is from hammering it but I would not recommend that strategy because now my mini playfield is good as dead. If anyone knows how to fix the low strength on the mini playfield it would be great.
Parker

#33 4 years ago

Have you tried replacing the thermistor in the line voltage box? I did this after someone posted that as they age they can reduce current flow through it... I did mine about a month ago and can say I'm seeing some improvement , but a pain to change...just tight space and all...but cheap

#34 4 years ago

I got I to work a little better by cleaning the optos on the flipper opto boards but I will order a new thermistor in the line voltage box

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 1,059.00
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

10,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 14.95
$ 12.95
Gameroom - Decorations
pinballmod

$ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 145.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playing-the-tz-mini-playfield?hl=monkfe and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.