Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 84 posts
  • 45 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by GrueLurks
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0304.JPG
    IMG_0303.JPG
    f018a8a7540caf8679a1a83c4490f65d.jpg
    flashbackpins1.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider accidental.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#11 11 years ago

I used to love cruising around playing on the pins around my city. As soon as I got my own I realised how sub par those routed pins were and it makes it harder to enjoy them. But it also made me realise how much work it takes to get them playing perfectly.

In terms of pinball's success in arcades, kids do genuinely love to play pinball when they play on mine. They're besotted with it. But in the arcades their coins go straight to the shooting and driving games instead because they're not good enough at pinball to get their money's worth. Evidenced by a local arcade that has free play nights — kids love the pins on those nights because they're not afraid of wasting their money.

I think it's the high barrier to entry that explains why pinball machines can't attract new players. This combined with the fact that most people don't realise that there is far more to pinball than just keeping a ball bouncing around a playfield. The rules are impossible for newbies to understand and instruction cards only help players already well versed in pinball.

One of the things that video game designers have had to do to in recent years is invent ways to teach a player the game and ease them into it without needing to read a manual or work through tutorials. Pinball needs to solve the same problem in it's own way.

#14 11 years ago

That sounds excellent. Awesome idea!

While video games have become good at teaching people how to play, even arcade video games don't have that luxury. But they get by on guaranteed game time and familiar gimmicks. There isn't really any complexity to grasp. The value for money proposition is obvious and convincing.

I noticed a Congo nearby my work has a novice or normal mode to play on. Novice is unlimited balls for three minutes and if you drain after that it's game over. That is a good idea but it fails completely in it's implementation: without approaching the machine, inserting your coins and selecting it, you don't know the mode is there or what it does. That already puts the mode out of the reach of anyone who might benefit from it.

#41 11 years ago

The thing that frustrates me the most about operated pins is when the flippers aren't up to scratch. Half of the pins in my city have a weak or misaligned flipper and so I simply don't go back to play them. Flippers are easy to get to and easy to fix. There is zero chance I'll put more money into a pin that has a flipper issue because there's nothing worse than losing a ball (money) because of a crappy flipper.

A hot dog vendor would never run out of ketchup. A pinball op should never have weak flippers.

#56 11 years ago
    Quoted from Baiter:

A vicious circle originated entirely by op laziness.

It's unfair to assume every issue is due to laziness. There are a myriad of reasons why an issue with a pin might be unresolved.

You're right about the cyclical nature of this phenomenon. I'd describe as more of a chicken and egg scenario. But it is one in which the operator is the only party that can change the situation.

A broken pin is less likely to make money. Operator can fix it but it takes time/money. The decision of a player whether or not to insert a coin into a pin is something that only the operator can change.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider accidental.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playing-pins-in-the-wild-just-isnt-fun?tu=accidental and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.