7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 84 posts
  • 45 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by GrueLurks
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_0304.JPG
    IMG_0303.JPG
    f018a8a7540caf8679a1a83c4490f65d.jpg
    flashbackpins1.jpg

There are 84 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 7 years ago
    Quoted from absocountry2:

I don't think the ops are lazy, just does not make sense to pay a person to spend a lot of time cleaning the pins when they can make more on other stuff.

Pins don't earn well when they are not working / not enjoyable to play, and if they don't earn well there is less incentive to keep them up. A vicious circle originated entirely by op laziness.

#52 7 years ago

Not entirely ops fault. Maybe some to making tough to service games and could have been built with upkeep in mind. Mostly lazy ops though I think.

#53 7 years ago
    Quoted from ab3:

It's more like a labor of love (and all the easy free games are too hard to resist), the great lineup, and my pin addiction keeps driving me back for more, despite their awful condition.

I know that addiction and I feel your pain. I play regularly at the Santa Cruz boardwalk. The maintenance on pins there is horrible. All the Stern's (which is what they mostly have left) are on older software. Flipper rubbers go missing for weeks at a time. I offered my services there to the manager a while back and never heard back from her. Very frustrating.

Still, the ambiance is unbeatable. The arcades are right on the beach. I try to go mostly in the off season, but I'll go in the middle of summer if they get a new game. This Friday, I'll play some AC/DC (2 switches reversed, but turned up really loud), then stroll downstairs to see Eddie Money play for free on the beach. Is it worth to play on mostly sketchy games? Hell yes it's worth it. To me, playing on location is always fun and playing alone at home is always just practice. Huge difference.

#54 7 years ago

I use Twitter to alert followers of code updates, and any pertinent route info. I usually update the day it comes out because I want to check it out. I initially was just servicing my want of a bar or two to play a working pinball machine.

#55 7 years ago
    Quoted from Baiter:

A vicious circle originated entirely by op laziness.

Try telling that to Tim at the PHOF. See what he thinks about that. I think he might disagree.

How often do you play on location?

#56 7 years ago
    Quoted from Baiter:

A vicious circle originated entirely by op laziness.

It's unfair to assume every issue is due to laziness. There are a myriad of reasons why an issue with a pin might be unresolved.

You're right about the cyclical nature of this phenomenon. I'd describe as more of a chicken and egg scenario. But it is one in which the operator is the only party that can change the situation.

A broken pin is less likely to make money. Operator can fix it but it takes time/money. The decision of a player whether or not to insert a coin into a pin is something that only the operator can change.

#57 7 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

Try telling that to Tim at the PHOF. See what he thinks about that. I think he might disagree.
    How often do you play on location?

Not sure I agree with what I think you're saying. I was a phof last week, lots of machines running outdated code, including ACDC! it was bright and beautiful but only music, no voiceovers at all except for the lower playfield. Very disappointing.

Lotsa machines with errors, problematic flippers or worse. JP was a nightmare, and I was playing it for the first time ever! W?D had a broken slot reel. My first time for the game too. Harley Davidson reset on me during the game. The Tron LE was dark and unimpressive. IronMan was beat.

My favorite machine there was TFLE. I have no idea what code it was running. I can see why people have some issues with it, but it's a good looking game with some nice shots and features. And it wasn't broken.

#58 7 years ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Not sure I agree with what I think you're saying.

Are you familiar with Tim's history prior to the PHOF? Let's just say that it wasn't laziness that put him in a position where he can donate hundreds of thousands of dollars to charity every year.

As far as the condition of the games there goes, if you would have done a little research first, you would've understood going in that there are no paid techs there and adjusted your expectations accordingly. It all goes to charity. Did you play any games that were working? Was there enough games there for you? Did you tell anyone about the problems you found?

#59 7 years ago

There is friendly competition in NYC, (especially Brooklyn), between Max Pinball and myself which I believe was a benefit to the players bescuse it has forced out better titles and more maintainence of the games. PinballNYC (for amusement only), started a league on Monday's which has drawn out new players, and has a great website and locator.those players alert the ops of problems and we are quick to fix them. I believe that I address some of these issues on the video that Wall Street Journal did on me a year or two ago. You can google wsj + pinball to find it. Very well done and enjoyable to see.

#60 7 years ago

Maybe offer to repair a couple of games for free and if the operator sees that it's getting played more start charging a small amount to get the others up and working.

#61 7 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Maybe offer to repair a couple of games for free and if the operator sees that it's getting played more start charging a small amount to get the others up and working.

Two things. Operator may not want a stranger in his game. Location that gets a cut of the money may not want a stranger in the game.

Not saying it's a bad idea, just trying to let you know what you are up against.

( plus there is no guarantee they will get played more, consider that when you approach to try and make the pins better )

LTG

#62 7 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Wow, should've recorded some of the lecture for us!

I do it each year at PPE. It was audio recorded by pinball news but it combines powerpoint, video, live demonstration and then breakout groups after the lecture, so it doesn't really work well as audio. I plan to update parts of it with better video and will post it on the web.

#63 7 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

P

Quoted from phishrace:Are you familiar with Tim's history prior to the PHOF? Let's just say that it wasn't laziness that put him in a position where he can donate hundreds of thousands of dollars to charity every year.
    As far as the condition of the games there goes, if you would have done a little research first, you would've understood going in that there are no paid techs there and adjusted your expectations accordingly. It all goes to charity. Did you play any games that were working? Was there enough games there for you? Did you tell anyone about the problems you found?

Feel free to provide a brief history of Tim prior to PHoF. Im interested. I've been to the place twice now, and this recent trip stood out for the condition of a large percentage of the games I played. I still spent 4 hours there. I still had a great time On two or three occasions I looked for Tim and the woman that was also there to tell them about the games I'd played with major issues. Nowhere to be found. It's just disappointing, that's all. I expected better but that's 100% on me. I don't think Tim is lame or lazy (and I didn't use the word lazy, you did), but he could use some help. That place got a lot of traffic the day I was there. At least update the code on recent Sterns.

#64 7 years ago

A business associate just sent me this from the Minneapolis airport knowing that I am into pinball…don’t know if it fits the op’s topic…but wanted to share…pb machines in airports…not too shabby....

#65 7 years ago

darn..it wouldnt upload (says denied size)..how to do? Pic of an IJ, rc and potc...at the airport!

#66 7 years ago
    Quoted from Vyzer2:

A business associate just sent me this from the Minneapolis airport knowing that I am into pinball…don’t know if it fits the op’s topic…but wanted to share…pb machines in airports…not too shabby....

I think the Minn airport is well known for having pins? I know a buddy of mine texted me years ago saying they had a bunch.

#67 7 years ago

Send the photo to tinypic.com and post a link here.

2 months later
    #68 7 years ago

This ones at a place I dj at frequently. Here now, actually, lol...kinda dirty and not my bag, but I still drop a few Q's in it just the heck of it.

$.50 per play.

(never saw a mega touch with this problem before, just noticed it...)

IMG_0303.JPG IMG_0304.JPG

#69 7 years ago

I live less than a mile away from over a hundred pins. They are all cleaned, serviced, repaired on a regular basis and the place is always packed. Playing pins in the wild is awesome!

#70 7 years ago

Everyone move to my area then. All games work great here.

#71 7 years ago
    Quoted from Winball_Pizard:

I live less than a mile away from over a hundred pins. They are all cleaned, serviced, repaired on a regular basis and the place is always packed. Playing pins in the wild is awesome!

Lucky. Wish we had a place like Pinballz around here. My buddy lives in Austin and is always rubbing it in my face.

#72 7 years ago

Man, i was just in Austin, and on my last night I wanted to go to Pinballz. My crew wasn't into it and we wound up at XTC instead....

#73 7 years ago

Anybody can hit a silverball with a flipper, but if when I do it and hit a certain target to start a mode, multiball, jackpot etc. and it does not register, there is no point in me paying to play the machine. When switches are out, flippers have no power, balls are stuck the game obviously can't score or advance the way it should. Most of the games that I have seen in the wild are in bad condition and there is no way that I am going to put money in the pocket of someone who is too lazy to show up on location to fix a simple problem. I once saw a Getaway that was so dirty the playfield was almost black. Supprised that the ball did not need an ATV to travel over the dirt. Sad part is that people were pumping quarters into it. Then why should the operator put any effort or money into the game if it is bringing in income as it is? Playing these machines seems to encourage lazy/uncaring operators. I used to dump lots of money into games that were in good working condition. But if I play one game and find out that a lot of it is not working properly, then it is my last game at that location.

#74 7 years ago

I love putting a GC score on a game in the wild. It's a lot more satisfying than in your home!

#75 7 years ago

I try to play a few games on every pin I come across in the wild. There is usually some notable issues, but I consider it more of a donation to help keep pins out there.
    As far as lazy ops, I'm sure there are some. I help out an op a few hours from me, but he is one of 3 people that still run their family business. I help him with his repairs in exchange for games from his warehouse. I got a nice Judge Dredd from him by doing this. He tells me he just does not have the time to thoroughly go through a pin.

#76 7 years ago

Man, i was just in Austin, and on my last night I wanted to go to Pinballz. My crew wasn't into it and we wound up at XTC instead....

Get a better crew.

#77 7 years ago

Sorry if this is running in another thread, but I have to ask, what happened to the Jersey Shore location for pins? Living in California, it sounds like everything was wiped out. Just wondering if some people were spared amongst the ruin CNN showed on TV.

#78 7 years ago

XTC had its charms.

#79 7 years ago

My crew wasn't into it and we wound up at XTC instead....

I thought XTC might have done a gig that night...

#80 7 years ago

great band. I grew up in SoCal in late seventies/earlt 80's when KROQ was by far the best radio station in the US. That's when I heard XTC for the first time. Didn't even catch the "ecstasy" part then. Stupid suburban punk!

#81 7 years ago

Back on topic, if there is enough demand to play pinball at a location you could arrange something like a petition that players would sign, then show it to the operator and offer to clean and fix it up for a fee. That should assure him the repairs will pay for themselves in no time and the games will make more after the fact, plus they will be enjoyable to play.

#82 7 years ago

XTC had its charms.

Tell the tattooed girl hello next time youre there. I think her "name" is Jill

#83 7 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Back on topic, if there is enough demand to play pinball at a location you could arrange something like a petition that players would sign, then show it to the operator and offer to clean and fix it up for a fee. That should assure him the repairs will pay for themselves in no time and the games will make more after the fact, plus they will be enjoyable to play.

You unfortunately get back to square one.

Operator may not want/trust others in their games.

Location won't trust others in the game.

You have a great idea, I'm just pointing out a huge problem with it.

LTG

#84 7 years ago

Go check out Shark Club in Howell, MI. 32 pins with many A-list titles in superb condition!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 8.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Pinball Haus
    $ 125.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Little Shop Of Games
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 104.00
    Boards
    nvram.weebly.com
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 160.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 219.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    £ 58.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Sillyoldelf Mods
    $ 26.95
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    € 9.10
    $ 34.95
    Playfield - Plastics
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 32.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 165.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pixels Arcade Games
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 60.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Docquest Pinball Mods
    $ 20.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 45.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 7.00
    Electronics
    APB Enterprises
    $ 44.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    There are 84 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside