(Topic ID: 92881)

playing pinball while high

By Zippee

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0958.JPG
    potzilla.jpg
    image.jpg
    index2.jpg
    index.jpg
    th-4-951.jpeg
    100121-i.jpg
    20140523_215358.jpg
    images.jpg
    image-349.jpg
    image-653.jpg
    think_of_the_children.jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 274 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.
    TILTed post. Sign in to be able to view TILTed posts.
    #2 9 years ago

Good herb and good music often leads to better scoring.

#3 9 years ago

Plenty of people play a little better if they're buzzed in one manner or another, you relax. But it's an all things in moderation deal. You might play better after a beer, but probably not after 3 or 4.

I would not call quicker reflexes a typical side effect of being high. If it gets you in the zone though, why not?

#4 9 years ago
    Quoted from Zippee:

someone told me that when he gets high on marijuana and plays pinball that he is a much better player than when he is not high...he told me he anticipates where the ball is going to be much better and his reflexes are quicker and all this stuff...is this bullshit or no?

it's bullshit... nobody's reflexes "get better" when they are impaired...

he may be a better player for other reasons (i.e. it's amazing how much better you play when you care little about the result), but it certainly isn't because they are impaired...

the "i do 'xyz' better after a few beers" myth has been put to bed many times by controlled testing...

#5 9 years ago

It's true! Video games, too.

#6 9 years ago

" I was gonna eat your pu##y too, but then I got high!"

#7 9 years ago

I agree. I can keep my concentration longer high than not.
    Al

#8 9 years ago

I play better at darts after a few beers but that is only because I never play darts any other time. I learned to compensate my aim for my buzz. My guess is he usually plays pinball (and most everything else) when he is high so that is what he is used to. It feels weird for him to do it while sober. Quicker reaction times is complete BS.

#9 9 years ago

Why is a posting about getting stoned allowed on a forum kids read?

#10 9 years ago
    Quoted from Jasontaps:

i assume you want action taken against people posting in beer threads as well?

#11 9 years ago

Lots of comparisons here between alcohol and weed, but that is not apt. Alcohol is far more impairing and particularly with regard to reaction time. Weed doesn't have the same slowing effect to reaction times and people can perform activities that require quick responses quite effectively while high. Those with a lot of experience with both drugs can corroborate.

#12 9 years ago

THC and other canabanoids have been shown to increase focus.

There is the possiblity that smoking helps some people remove other distractions. I know that my best games are sober and when I get "in the zone" of playing and the outside world melts away.

I have found I often play worse in competitive settings because I am unable to get any focus with all the normal distractions.

Reaction time is not improved with pot but pinball is definately a "feel" sort of thing and pot can help get you in tune with that sort of zen state I suppose. When I was younger I remember really enjoying a little toke and doing activities that required focus, but now that I am older it impacts me differently and I don't care for it when playing pinball. Wish I could but it no longer works in my body like it used to.

#13 9 years ago
    Quoted from Jasontaps:

you do realize that is is legal in 2 states and available medically in nearly half of the 50 states...

#14 9 years ago

You tend to "see everything" when high and more able to focus.
    Try playing with kids asking you questions and then play when they are not. That's about the difference between playing high and not.

#16 9 years ago

Being a former stoner myself who now completely abstains Id have to say that playing on weed vs. playing with a few beers in me vs. playing completely sober are all about the same. What really matters is when you focus and relax enough to get into the game and it usually has to do with other factors (like familiarity with a particular machine and warmup time)rather than substances. I have to admit (and I was guilty of this in the past as well) that stoners tend to say they are better at X when stoned about any number of things to justify an addiction. The drug makes you sort of out of it in a similar way to alcohol but can relax you enough to get into a zone.

#17 9 years ago

#18 9 years ago

jason I can assure you Pot has nothing, I mean nothing to do with the dumbing down of america.

#19 9 years ago

It depends on the person, plain and simple.

Here's an interesting study on drivers reaction times while high.

#20 9 years ago

paul mccartney once said every hit song he ever wrote for the beatles was when he was high on pot...said it brought out the creativity in him...maybe it's the same in pb

#21 9 years ago
    Quoted from Jasontaps:

loosing our edge in the world and now were dumbing down America more

No real view just throwing logs on the fire.

The FBI just changed the rules to be ABLE to higher stoners because.....They could not find smart enough people.

http://www.boulderweekly.com/article-12927-fbi-learns-that-the-best-and-brightest-arenrst-always-the-straightest.html

#22 9 years ago

Id like to try pinball on hallucinogens.

#23 9 years ago
    Quoted from Jasontaps:

Didn't the "average age of pinsiders" poll conclude that the average pinsider is at least above the age of 30? ..

#24 9 years ago
    Quoted from Jasontaps:

if people are allowing their parenting to be done by internet forums, that ain't my problem...

hint: kids already know what pot is...

#25 9 years ago
    Quoted from pinballnut3:

No real view just throwing logs on the fire.
    The FBI just changed the rules to be ABLE to higher stoners because.....They could not find smart enough people.
    http://www.boulderweekly.com/article-12927-fbi-learns-that-the-best-and-brightest-arenrst-always-the-straightest.html

The irony that can be found in your entire post is astounding.

#26 9 years ago

I'm not a pot guy at all, never touch the stuff but I do drink. One time I was really drunk and I put up a 1.2 billion game on TAF. I had witnesses too as it was during a party at my house. I've had way better games sober but at the time I joked that if I could recreate that exact amount of drunk on command then I'd probably do a lot better in our pinball league.

#27 9 years ago

i forget if i play better when stoned

#28 9 years ago
    Quoted from Jasontaps:

If you talk to your kids like I do then you don't need to worry about some internet phantom talking about the pros/cons of playing pinball while high.

There are way worse discussions on here with the way people treat each other than something relatively innocent like this.

#29 9 years ago

Doc Ellis pitched a no-hitter while on LSD. Yes, we all know that certain drugs have the ability to raise performance levels.
    I want to make a motion for mandatory drug testing this year at PAPA. Have a level playing field (no pinball pun intended).

#30 9 years ago

Posting on pinside while high

#31 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

you do realize that is is legal in 2 states and available medically in nearly half of the 50 states...

Umm... it's not "legal" anywhere. Federal law makes it illegal. Just because some states have decriminalized it doesn't make it legal.

#32 9 years ago
    Quoted from robx46:

Doc Ellis pitched a no-hitter while on LSD. Yes, we all know that certain drugs have the ability to raise performance levels.

i hope you're not intending to imply that LSD improves a pitcher's performance. Dock was a hell of a pitcher and managed an amazing game despite being on LSD, not because of it. by all accounts he was both wildly inaccurate and lucky that day.

#33 9 years ago

Marijuana was basically legal in Ann Arbor in the 70's. The college dorm pinball machines (and I suspect their high scores--Tim Arnold might know) were ruled by the pot smokers. To a person, they claimed to play better stoned, especially for anticipating the ball's course and nudging the game. Games were slow and rules were simple back then--- modern games could be a different story. The billiard room at the student Union was the other place the stoners ruled. The best mainstream article about reflexes while stoned was in Car and Driver where the writing staff drove slaloms at a proving grounds. As I recall, they actually did better after the first and second joints. They thought they did better after further smoking, but actually did worse. A similar article was later done with ethanol. My brother is a champion darter and alcohol is a definite advantage in that sport. Do the Seattle or Denver pinball leagues want to light up for the sake of science?

#34 9 years ago

I'll drink to this!

#35 9 years ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

Umm... it's not "legal" anywhere. Federal law makes it illegal. Just because some states have decriminalized it doesn't make it legal.

that might be changing too
    http://congress.org/2013/09/19/doj-to-back-off-enforcement-in-pro-pot-states-new-legalization-battles-expected-in-2014/

#36 9 years ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

irrelevant post of the day.

#37 9 years ago

It's totally legal in Colorado and the Feds could care less, I haven't noticed a difference in anything around here since it was legalized either. Would rather have a bunch of stoned people around than a bunch of drunk idiots.....

#38 9 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

irrelevant post of the day.

is that one of those fun facts!

#39 9 years ago
    Quoted from robx46:

I want to make a motion for mandatory drug testing this year at PAPA. Have a level playing field (no pinball pun intended).

Great idea. You hold the cup and all 400 of us will pee in it!

#40 9 years ago

The better reaction time is bullshit, but I do find that I am more able to concentrate and do play better.

If I were to smoke that is....

#41 9 years ago
    Quoted from robx46:

Doc Ellis pitched a no-hitter while on LSD.

Yeah, but he walked 7 people!!!

#42 9 years ago

Only seems to work when I'm playing High Speed ...

#43 9 years ago

It definitely doesn't make you worse.. I think it helps your game while you're high and makes it harder once you start coming down.

#44 9 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

Posting on pinside while high

That's why they call it 'dope'.

Jk

#45 9 years ago
    Quoted from Jasontaps:

OH NO THE KIDS!!!
    How does it feel to live in the stoned age?

But back on topic, I wouldn't know, I don't ever smoke. Though I usually play better if I'm not concentrating on goals, that could be part of the same concept.

#46 9 years ago

I could have sworn I was doing better playing pinball the other night while stoned out of my mind until.... I realized the machine was unplugged.

#47 9 years ago

i don't smoke pot and have never been a regular pot smoker, and i do love good beer - drink it almost every day. but the double standard is pretty silly. Alcohol is far more dangerous. For example, 1000 Americans per year die of acute alcohol poisoning. The all-time death count from marijuana overdose remains at zero.

#48 9 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

i don't smoke pot and have never been a regular pot smoker, and i do love good beer - drink it almost every day. but the double standard is pretty silly. Alcohol is far more dangerous. For example, 1000 Americans per year die of acute alcohol poisoning. The all-time death count from marijuana overdose remains at zero.

If I did smoke, it would be because I don't drink anymore. As I get older, the after effects of alcohol just take too long to recover from. If I get really drunk, I do stupid shit that night and feel like crap for 2 days after. Not to mention the alcohol shits.

I've never had a hangover from weed.

#49 9 years ago

Smoking pot is a terrible idea.

You should use a vaporizer, it's much healthier for you.

#50 9 years ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

it's not "legal" anywhere. Federal law makes it illegal.

Federal really does not have a legal authority.....we have just let them walk all over our right.

Look into the warped interstate commerce law.

Ps. its been "Legal" in Alaska for 20 some years. In alaska they have a stronger right to privacy law that trumps federal and state drug laws.

There are 274 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playing-pinball-while-high and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.