Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Azmodeus
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

Or basically you DONT play pinball in south OC these days...

I am a pinball fan and father of three. In my youth I played a great deal of pinball in the Detroit area in the 80s. After leaving Michigan I played some pinball in the 90s at an amazing arcade in Fountain Valley California called Golfland. (now a street of condos)

I recently started becoming interested in Pinball again, and my kids and I restored a few older machines but had to sell them due to a pending divorce. (Strange Science & Jungle Lord, respectively)

My 3 kids really dig pinball now, like myself. The sad thing is there is no pinball near us. There are a couple games here and there, but nowhere - can one play the good games in South OC, in public. Or in LA for that matter it seems. It is a real bone of contention with me.

I contacted the OC pinball league a few weeks ago, but have not heard back yet... I have heard that might be the only way to play in my area.

I hope to get a nice pinball soon for my apartment. Hopefully Tron Pro.

My question is, am I wrong about LA and Orange County? Is there a place to actually play here. Help me out...

#2 10 years ago

Not sure about Orange County, but there are a few good places to play in SoCal. Gable Bowl in Torrance has an ACDC and Tron. Pinz in Studio City has a few Sterns. Check out this link and see what's closer to you:

http://www.pinballmap.com/la

#3 10 years ago
    Quoted from Azmodeus:

Orange County? Is there a place to actually play here.

#4 10 years ago

There are places, but LA kinda sucks for pinball. Some great private collections, but public ... not so much. Pinball map is definitely your friend!

#5 10 years ago

You might try Chuck E Cheese! No, really south OC is a wasteland for our kind of fun (unless you like to surf). There used to be places everywhere, but not any more, which is what led me to get my own collection.

#6 10 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

You might try Chuck E Cheese! No, really south OC is a wasteland for our kind of fun (unless you like to surf). There used to be places everywhere, but not any more, which is what led me to get my own collection.

OC is a pinball Mecca compared to up here, one busted blown out filthy LW3 at the pizza place in the village and that is it.
    Not worth putting on the PB map.
    I told the owner for a pizza and a pitcher of beer I would haul it off for him.

#7 10 years ago

I see my support here is low as always, thanks guys, but I have a pinball arcade in LA and I'd be happy to accommodate you and your family. If you liked Strange Science and Jungle Lord, you'll probably find something you enjoy at Pins and Needles, but if you're an A title fanatic I'd skip it. We're open most evenings and I do some Saturday daytime sessions as well when I can. Feel free to email [email protected] if you'd like to swing by or conversely set something up outside my regular hours, which I'm doing for Pinsiders more and more! As far as the OC goes look for Hardy's Arcade, Kenny is doing a lot for location ball in OC; he's put several games out just in the past month and he knows his stuff.

#8 10 years ago
    Quoted from tracelifter:

OC is a pinball Mecca compared to up here, one busted blown out filthy LW3 at the pizza place in the village and that is it.
    Not worth putting on the PB map.
    I told the owner for a pizza and a pitcher of beer I would haul it off for him.

Don't forget that beat to hell TZ over at the Alpine Slide place in Big Bear...

#9 10 years ago
    Quoted from PinballMolly:

I see my support here is low as always, thanks guys, but I have a pinball arcade in LA and I'd be happy to accommodate you and your family. If you liked Strange Science and Jungle Lord, you'll probably find something you enjoy at Pins and Needles, but if you're an A title fanatic I'd skip it. We're open most evenings and I do some Saturday daytime sessions as well when I can. Feel free to email [email protected] if you'd like to swing by or conversely set something up outside my regular hours, which I'm doing for Pinsiders more and more! As far as the OC goes look for Hardy's Arcade, Kenny is doing a lot for location ball in OC; he's put several games out just in the past month and he knows his stuff.

Just saw this thread... was going to say.. Molly in LA... I dont know of many other big collections that are open to the public... I know of Gene in Glendale... but he is more of service and sales than an arcade per se..

There are many great private collections in and around OC. Become a member of the league and come to the monthly meets..First Sunday of every month at a different members house... you'll get to see some stuff that you probably wont see anywhere else in the pinball universe if you stick around long enough... and I am pretty sure kids are welcome also..

#10 10 years ago

I see my support here is low as always, thanks guys, but I have a pinball arcade in LA and I'd be happy to accommodate you and your family.

Doh, sorry Molly. I still haven't made it out to Pins and Needles, but you're totally right, you should always be brought up in these conversations!

#11 10 years ago

LOL it's okay, I'll just bring myself up! Pinsiders generally aren't into my mishmash of lower-end games, it's quite fine though! I do what I can.

Gene at Vintage Arcade Superstore has a retail showroom, so you CAN play there but you're going to be hawked over and sorta expected to be in purchase mode. Gene's a hell of a guy, but alas has the retail thing going, not an arcade.

After that dumb, dumb auction my buddy and I went to a place called Pallazzo Pizza in Yorba Linda where they had five nice pins AND an IJ4! There were two dead flies in my salad but The Shadow was playing pretty nice, would go back. Just not for the fly salad.

Try again with Chris at OC League too, it's worth it. Their ranks are usually pretty full but I think some patient persistence should get you at least through the door. Good peeps, and collections like you just don't see in public.

#12 10 years ago

Pallazzo Pizza in Yorba Linda

The pizza's not bad!

#13 10 years ago

Its good to know I'm not the only one that feels the pain of finding pins on location in South OC.
    I find busted ones here and there, one or two gems.... but they are not always easily accessible and have to drive all over town, which is not always fun in OC.

Molly I have to make it up to your place, I love that your collection is older and eclectic.

I really took it for granted back in the day when my local arcade would bring in new games as soon as they were released.
    I wish there were a place that stocked and maintains a modern line of pins. The new pinballs coming out now are seriously getting exciting, having them all lined up ready to play in public.....can only dream.

#14 10 years ago
    Quoted from DragonPin:

I really took it for granted back in the day when my local arcade would bring in new games as soon as they were released.

Remember Camelot?

#15 10 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Remember Camelot?

I know! what happened? I believe Camelot currently has none. Lots of redemption machines though.

#16 10 years ago

From what I could tell OC games bought them up one at a time, then sold them at jacked up prices when the economy was booming. They recently went out of business. Camelot was left with a couple of beaters in the back room. But in their heyday, they had them all!

#17 10 years ago

If anyone isn't familiar with Pins and Needles check the site: http://www.pinsandneedlesla.com/

These are the machines Molly has, and she's really being too modest about it, probably from getting crap from where-is-your-big-bang-bar-and-cactus-canyon snobs:

Alien Poker (1980)
    Bazaar (1966)
    Black Rose (1992)
    Centaur (1981)
    Embryon (1980)
    Funhouse (1990)
    Future Spa (1979)
    Genesis (1986)
    Gold Wings (1986)
    Grand Prix (1976)
    Hollywood Heat (1986)
    Jack*Bot (1995)
    Jungle Queen (1977)
    Laser War (1987)
    Monte Carlo (1987)
    Mustang (1977)
    Mystic (1979)
    Rollergames (1990)
    Scorpion (1980)
    Sing Along (1967)
    Spanish Eyes (1972)
    White Water (1993)

I just haven't found the time to make it out myself, but absolutely on my to-do list.

#18 10 years ago

I'd like to check out Molly's some day. I don't get to LA much any more. Usually it's just passing through on my way to Magic Mountain.

#19 10 years ago

I see my support here is low as always, thanks guys

I'd have given you a plug Molly, but you got me all excited about coming out my way and then completely fell of the grid with nary an email, so I am officially mad at you...

I would vote for making friends with some of the local pinheads and bringing over some beer and/or a bottle of gentleman jack in exchange for some pin playing time. Far better pins in personal collections than out in the wild.

Also...Pins and Needles has some nice pins

#20 10 years ago

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit, DD! I just dug through my mailbox and you are totally right! F! I was out of town for the seventh time in the past two months, I totally didn't see your note! If you still have that puppy I'm in, it's PNN-y, screw it! Want.

Now as for the rest of you, what do you say we throw together a little party? A Pinside event. Or is that dumb? I'm going to Moscow for a couple days and then Morocco but maybe sometime in June?

#21 10 years ago

If you still have that puppy I'm in

I'm taking her down to a buddies in trade tomorrow night so that's a no go. Probably better though as you may be nearing capacity

I am in for a party. Come up with a date and I'll try and make it work

#22 10 years ago
    Quoted from dapperdan24:

I'm taking her down to a buddies in trade

Which pin are you getting for her?

#23 10 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Which pin are you getting for her?

Ah son of a...

By "her" I mean a pinball machine, not a pinball Molly . I am sure she is priceless!

#24 10 years ago

The Ice Palace off of Bake looks like it has an interesting lineup.

#25 10 years ago
    Quoted from dapperdan24:

By "her" I mean a pinball machine, not a pinball Molly

I thought you were talking about a real puppy.

#26 10 years ago

Hmmm considering all of us that would like to get to Pins and needles but have not found the time.... Molly you should just come to Orange County!

#27 10 years ago

Now as for the rest of you, what do you say we throw together a little party? A Pinside event. Or is that dumb? I'm going to Moscow for a couple days and then Morocco but maybe sometime in June?

Make it happen, so long as you don't pick a date that I absolutely can't make I'm in.

#28 10 years ago
    Quoted from gibbous:

The Ice Palace off of Bake looks like it has an interesting lineup.

Nice! I was not aware of this location, thanks for mentioning it. its a short drive from me, I will have to check them out.

2 months later
    #29 10 years ago

Thanks for all the responses. I am going through a divorce and separation sold the house etc etc and things have been crazy. To say the least.

Pinball is trickling into some places here in of after all.

I was able to get my 1st good pin. A theatre of magic. Loving it and so are the kids.

Hoping to go to the event in corona tomorrow.

See you all around here!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playing-pinball-in-south-oc-california and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.