1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by smokedog
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 1 year ago

Let me lead with this: I need to be a better player. This topic is a total non issue if I’m a better player. Fine. I get that. So, here goes...

I travel for a living, and currently find myself in a fairly large midwestern city with a thriving craft beer culture. This is good. What makes it even better is that many of the local brewpubs have 8-10 pins. And still better, the pins are in excellent condition, most of the time. So here’s the rub: $1 per game, the outlanes are wide open, and the tilt mech is set extremely sensitively. I played a GOT the other day that gave me a tilt warning every time I hit a flipper combo. I get it, somebody spent 8 grand on that machine, and doesn’t want it abused. But a gaping outlane and zero opportunity to nudge doesn’t seem fair to me.

I hope the op makes a small fortune, or at least enough to keep him doing this. But I think he’s better off with a little bit more liberal approach to game settings.

Thoughts?

#2 1 year ago

I agree.

Perhaps they run a lot of tournaments there and the settings dont get changed back. Sounds like the GOT tilt adjustment was a mistake or oversight though. We usually leave our outline gaps factory at The Pinball Lounge.

#3 1 year ago

On one hand, vote with your wallet.

On the other hand, it's very possible that you're more rough with the machines than you think you are. It's pretty common to hear "it tilted when I flipped" when the player doesn't realize that every flip is accompanied by a small or medium nudge. And those nudges aggregate and keep the tilt bob swinging, especially on newer games.

#4 1 year ago
    Quoted from bobnatlanta:

I get it, somebody spent 8 grand on that machine, and doesn’t want it abused. But a gaping outlane and zero opportunity to nudge doesn’t seem fair to me.

You got 1/2 way there... but you also need to remember that the operator wants your game over as quickly as possible-- so that you'll either drop more money in or move along to let some other player have a shot at the game. Wide outlines and tight tilt mech help the operator get there more quickly.

#5 1 year ago

Wide outlanes are fine, but a tilt mech so tight that it affects game play negatively, rather than just preventing abuse to the machine, is no good.

#6 1 year ago

Is it taboo to leave a note taped to the machine where the OP will find it but others would not see it? Maybe around back by a key slot or by the power switch. Something like "Hey, love the game and it's in great condition, but your TILT is too strict. Thanks!"

I've never done this, but if it's a machine you play (or want to play) a lot, this could be an option?

#7 1 year ago

There's certainly a fine line between making money as an op and giving customers their money's worth. A good operator will look at audits and see if the ball times and plays indicate that the game is not playing too long, but that it is still enjoyable where a customer will come back. And of course, it certainly depends on the game itself. Opening up outlanes is fine, as a few good nudges usually won't give you a warning; med tilt is reasonable. It should appeal to casuals (that usually don't know you can nudge anyway) but also be challenging enough for pinheads, and yeah, there are people that bash machines, which is probably why the tilt bob is set tight to begin with.

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from stevevt:

On one hand, vote with your wallet.
    On the other hand, it's very possible that you're more rough with the machines than you think you are. It's pretty common to hear "it tilted when I flipped" when the player doesn't realize that every flip is accompanied by a small or medium nudge. And those nudges aggregate and keep the tilt bob swinging, especially on newer games.

Exactly. I love seeing guys protest a tilt vehemently when every time they flip the backbox moves.

#9 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I love seeing guys protest a tilt vehemently when every time they flip the backbox moves.

I don't, because I have no idea what to tell them other than something not very nice.

#10 1 year ago

Depends on the game. A buddy and I run 3 locations around our city and the goal is absolutely not for players to have the shortest ball time possible. It's for them to have a bunch of fun so they want to come back and perhaps bring friends. We usually aim for 3 min average game times and will adjust the table in either direction to achieve that. Easy games like Congo and WCS94 have wide open outlanes and the rules modified to make it a bit more difficult, otherwise decent players will get bored with them. Then games like FT and BBH have closed outlanes and increased ball saves to keep players from getting too frustrated and not enjoying themselves. Tilts can be tricky though, newer games are a lot lighter and floors on location are not always stable and level. We try to keep them very fair where you can still do some saves with just a warning. However as people slide them around they aren't always in the exact position they were set up in and a wonky part of the floor can have a pretty big impact on tilt sensitivity.

#11 1 year ago

It's tough to find the appropriate balance for players skill levels.

Too hard, new players won't come back.

Too easy, the baller comes in and spends $1 and plays for 2 hours.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 62.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 149.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 87.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    £ 99.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinballToys
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 8,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    Various Other Swag
    Shoot Again Pinball
    $ 69.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 209.99
    $ 109.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 53.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 10.50
    Playfield - Decals
    The MOD Couple
    $ 24.50

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside