(Topic ID: 5356)

Playing at home; do you start a new game if your first ball sucks?

By FlipperMagician

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 52 posts
  • 39 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by RobT
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

MAUIVENTS.jpg

There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 12 years ago

Since I am not putting quarters in, I tend to start over from scratch if my first ball is not satisfactory. I have had so many games where it seems like almost all the points come from the first ball+extra ball etc. and it's all downhill from there. On the other hand, sometimes I keep playing, and have had very good games where the first ball sucked bad, and end up with a high score.

So why do I feel the need to start over all the time? Just wondering if this happens to anyone else.

#2 12 years ago

Nope. I play all three no matter how bad the first two were. All it takes is one good ball to have a great game.

#3 12 years ago

Yeah, I restart if my first ball was really crappy too. It just like a Golf Mulligan

#4 12 years ago

nope just makes you play harder on the next 2

#5 12 years ago

It depends on what distracted me

#6 12 years ago
    Quoted from jarjarisgod:

I play all three no matter how bad the first two were. All it takes is one good ball to have a great game.

Hell yeah!

#7 12 years ago

Sometimes it takes two drainers to get me focused. Besides, I hate turning off the machine, just to turn it back on again.

#8 12 years ago

I'm trying to get over it, but still very compelled to start over a lot of the time.

Quoted from jarjarisgod:

All it takes is one good ball to have a great game.

I agree, just can't stop myself sometimes!

#9 12 years ago
    Quoted from donjagra:

Besides, I hate turning off the machine, just to turn it back on again.

+1

Pimptastic!!! I point to my epic (to me) third ball on TOM a couple weeks ago as proof for why I never EVER give up on a game of pinball.

#10 12 years ago
    Quoted from donjagra:

Sometimes it takes two drainers to get me focused. Besides, I hate turning off the machine, just to turn it back on again.

Oh but if you're on free play, all you have to do is wait for the 2nd ball and press start and bam!, new game. Too easy.

#11 12 years ago

I'm trying to get over it, but still very compelled to start over a lot of the time.

MAUIVENTS.jpgMAUIVENTS.jpg

#12 12 years ago

Thanks jarjar, that helps....I think

either way, I'm laughing.

#13 12 years ago
    Quoted from FlipperMagician:

Oh but if you're on free play, all you have to do is wait for the 2nd ball and press start and bam!, new game. Too easy.

Yeah, but most of these circuits were made in the 80s and 90s. It is really bad for the electronics. Every time i get a board fixed it is $100. Not worth the risk.

#14 12 years ago
    Quoted from FlipperMagician:

Thanks jarjar, that helps....I think

Well it is Rob Schneider so... It could have the exact opposite effect I was going for.

#15 12 years ago

I always play a few practice games first to get the feel of the flow especially
    if your going to be playing 2 or 3 different pins.

#16 12 years ago
    Quoted from jarjarisgod:

Nope. I play all three no matter how bad the first two were.

Nope. I play all Five no matter how bad the first four were.

#17 12 years ago

I used to restart quite often after a really bad first ball, but I never do it anymore. I started to realize that this pretty makes all your high scores meaningless. I now will play out all three balls to the best of my ability no matter how bad the first two are. You never know, sometimes you have an insane third ball. In fact, I've gotten some of my highest scores that way.

#18 12 years ago
    Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

Well maybe I should set my machines to five ball, that sounds like high score city to me!

Quoted from donjagra:

Yeah, but most of these circuits were made in the 80s and 90s. It is really bad for the electronics.

I'm no electrical engineer, but I would think turning the power off in the middle of a game would be worse...

#20 12 years ago

Keep going, the next two balls will probably be better than your first.

#21 12 years ago

I go ahead and play it out. My third ball is usually the best, but I needed help from the first two. It's been said before, it only takes one ball.

#22 12 years ago

All my games that I restart after a bad first ball work better now than when I got them...oh thats right I also worked on them to get em to work. I am not an EE but I bet the restarts...hundreds on my machines have not caused any problems...IMHO

And I don't get to play as much as I would like so I hate wasting time...I want to hit the advanced portions of the game to feed my crazed pinball needs

#23 12 years ago

Yeah like I said, I have had a lot of games where the second or third ball is where it's at, and I'm tryin not to start over so much. I guess to me it's kinda like seeing the result on a slot machine, and having a coin return if I don't like it.

#24 12 years ago
    Quoted from donjagra:

Do you actually turn the machine off?

#25 12 years ago

I usually restart, unless I've got something going like balls locked, or a couple modes lit or something. If I've made a little progress I'll keep playing. If I've got nothing heppening, start over.

#26 12 years ago
    Quoted from absocountry2:

donjagra said:

Do you actually turn the machine off?

Seriously....that can't be normal.

#27 12 years ago
    Quoted from HELLODEADCITY:

nope just makes you play harder on the next 2

Pretty much my M.O. As well...
    Knuckle down!
    Restarts are for Video Games!

#28 12 years ago
    Quoted from donjagra:

Yeah, but most of these circuits were made in the 80s and 90s. It is really bad for the electronics. Every time i get a board fixed it is $100. Not worth the risk.

The feature he is referencing is a software game reset. No power off then on. Its a feature of free play. I usually only do it of i am practicing something.

Not all machines have it. I think all the williams do.

#29 12 years ago

Never I always play them all. The next ball could be your best ever!

#30 12 years ago

Nope, I play all the way thru. But if it drains real quick then I play the next ones focusing on a specific technique such as live catch, bounce pass, or a certain shot.

#31 12 years ago

i always play it through.most of the time my 3rd ball is where i come back an have a good game.

#32 12 years ago
    Quoted from mrgone:

most of the time my 3rd ball is where i come back an have a good game

Same story here. Play them all!

#33 12 years ago

I never re-start at home on a real machine, but sometimes if I'm using Visual Pinball or the Wii I'll start over depending on the reason I lost the ball. If it's my own damn fault I carry on, if it's someone talking to me or my phone going off, I'll re-start.

#34 12 years ago

Finish it. I may change my goal for that game, however, if the first ball or two is crappy (i.e. go for a quick, fun multiball vs. trying to rack up points).

#35 12 years ago

I finish the game, but I've also got the ball-saver feature on...

#36 12 years ago

Finish the game!

.. Not like you're limited, now is it?!

#37 12 years ago

I try my best to never restart. You never know when you'll have your best ball ever, and what a story it would be if you quickly lost 2 balls, but had a best ball ever with the third, won a free ball or two, regrouped and got a personal best score. It could happen.

#38 12 years ago

Part & parcel.

#39 12 years ago
    Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

Ditto. Plus, none of my pins are set to free play - costs a quarter just like back in the day.

#40 12 years ago

I've done that at times, but I don't think that it's good practice. Worst case, you just practice ball control or post passes on the second two balls...

Also, even when the first ball sucks, you can still end up having epic game... Last night I was playing TZ... first ball 35m. Last ball ended at 1.6b for a new personal best.

#41 12 years ago
    Quoted from DrAzzy:

even when the first ball sucks, you can still end up having epic game... Last night I was playing TZ... first ball 35m. Last ball ended at 1.6b for a new personal best.

Doc, I couldn't agree more! I always play the game through, you never now what the other balls will bring. A good first ball doesn't always mean a great game, and a bad one doesn't mean a bad game either. A couple nights ago, I had a horrid first ball on Ripley's, under 1 million. I finished the game Grand Champion with 119 million so you never know.

#42 12 years ago
    Quoted from GoneFishinLvMsg:

Finish it. I may change my goal for that game, however, if the first ball or two is crappy (i.e. go for a quick, fun multiball vs. trying to rack up points).

That's what I tend to do, change my strategy and carry on. I have had epic half hour long 200 million + games on LOTR playing the third ball and any awarded extra balls after playing poorly and only racking up a couple of million each on the first two.

#43 12 years ago

I will do a start over, but it all depends on my mood. If I'm playing 4 player, and it's 4 crappy balls one right after another I'll start it over.

It's funny that this topic got started a few days ago because my pin had 20 credits on it,
    and I wanted to run them all off. So I would play four balls, restart, four balls, restart, over and over and over. Played for several hours today, got the pin down to 2 credits. It was a chore to get it down to 2 because I kept on hitting free games with all 4 players, so every time I'd run 4 off I'd win 4 more.

#44 12 years ago

I don't restart my game, but I use the next two to practice other shots. Make them useful!

#45 12 years ago

I must admit that sometimes I do get pissed off and start a new game. No logic to that just pissed offness I guess.

#46 12 years ago

I tend to play it through. Good practice for when playing against a buddy or for tournaments. I like the idea of practicing shots and do that too.

#47 12 years ago

I never restart. Play it out and have an honest game. Use the other balls for practice shots if anything. My high school gym teacher taught me never to quit. He said "Silverballer, if you quit now you always be a quitter and later in life when you own your pinball machines you will quit those bad first-ball games." Ok, maybe those werent his exact words but the point was made.

#48 12 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I used to restart quite often after a really bad first ball, but I never do it anymore. I started to realize that this pretty makes all your high scores meaningless. I now will play out all three balls to the best of my ability no matter how bad the first two are. You never know, sometimes you have an insane third ball. In fact, I've gotten some of my highest scores that way.

ditto, although the odd really crappy ball that doesn't see a flipper chance sometimes gets restarted, but I try not to.

I find when I force myself to play through, I have more satisfying games, as when I used to restart a lot, I was getting more annoyed with bad first balls.

I had my best game on TZ after the f'ing left drain lane took my first two immediately. I then went on to almost do LITZ for a third time, and posted a 2.9B score. Obviously I was awarded a few extra ballls - wasn't just the third ball, but stilll, glad I didn't restart that one.

#49 12 years ago

It's kinda like sex....Do you restart if you get off to a bad start or do you keep going til your done....You keep going until your done.
    You can always go at it again, after a little rest of course.

I can't restart a game. It would be like asking me to stop pissing right in mid-stream...can't be done.

#50 12 years ago

Always finish the game!

There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playing-at-home-do-you-start-a-new-game-if-your-first-ball-sucks/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.