View topic image gallery

jungle6_(resized).jpg
jungle5_(resized).jpg
jungle4_(resized).jpg
jungle3_(resized).jpg
jungle2_(resized).jpg
jungle1_(resized).jpg

#1 8 years ago

Here is the Jungle playfield I've been cleaning. Hosed it down today and got mouse crap mainly off. I know there is the playfield restoration video guide, but wanted opinions first.
Do I follow video and try and restore to original condition, best I can. Lot of work, little reward.
Leave as is, a little touch up and clear coat it.
go nuts with it, use dayglow colors, black light, glow in the dark, psychadelic and make a table out of it. Put in back lights?

jungle1_(resized).jpgjungle1_(resized).jpg

#2 8 years ago

jungle2_(resized).jpgjungle2_(resized).jpg

#3 8 years ago

jungle3_(resized).jpgjungle3_(resized).jpg

#4 8 years ago

jungle4_(resized).jpgjungle4_(resized).jpg

#5 8 years ago

jungle5_(resized).jpgjungle5_(resized).jpg

#6 8 years ago

jungle6_(resized).jpgjungle6_(resized).jpg

#7 8 years ago

Next step is magic eraser, novus 1,2,3 I guess.

#8 8 years ago

It almost looks like water damage in the upper left, and mold under where the apron would be.

You probably wouldn't be able to clean the water/mold stains, but you might be able to strip the topcost and stain the wood (a woodworker would be familiar with this) or seal and paint over it.

Could it be saved? Sure. Is it worth the time, effort, and cost that it will take? That's up to you.

#9 8 years ago

I would clean it up, give it a wax, and play/enjoy it as is for the story it tells.

#10 8 years ago

I would strongly suggest removing what I refer to as the playfield sticks on the left and right side, they screw from below. i'd actually replace those as well they we just soakin up the pee. As mentioned the bare wood areas can be sanded and refinished and the adhesion on the rest of the paint looks pretty solid.

#11 8 years ago

What does the other side look like?

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from jesster64:

go nuts with it, use dayglow colors, black light, glow in the dark, psychadelic

I kinda like this idea

#14 8 years ago

If you've never done a playfield restore before, it would be worth it for the experience.

If it's old news, I wouldn't bother.

#15 8 years ago

Underneath still has some wire attached, I need to break out the soldering iron. Side wood will come off, thank you paintpins. I have decided to go nuts with it, not 100%, but maybe 40%. Is it possible to sand certain areas, such as the top left and right discolorations, paint in neutral color, and apply some jungle stickers in that area? Clear coating should make them part of the playfield. I guess you would need to use a good glue/adhesive on stickers.

4 weeks later
#16 7 years ago

You may be able to bleach the stains out of the clear wood portions of the playfield using Oxalic acid - good luck - its pretty toasty.

Whichever way you decide to go - it's a good learning experience if you try to make it nice.

#17 7 years ago

Its absolutely worth fixing up. I think the stain in the upper left is rust from the rebound rubber bracket. You can use a hand sander to get most of it off on the exposed wood areas only. The rest as noted, should be cleaned with alcohol and magic eraser, then novus. Touch ups are surprisingly minimal, so that should go quick with some acrylic craft colors. After that its just choosing clearcoat and reassembly.

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from jesster64:

use dayglow colors, black light, glow in the dark, psychadelic and make a table out of it.

Quoted from wayout440:

I kinda like this idea

Me too. The artwork colors are already perfect for such an endeavor. It'll go well with the black light lit gun games from the same era. Some may call it heresy, but eh, the game is already pretty dumpy, might as well make something special out of it.

Black light LED GE bulbs from comet would be a fun way to get it looking really sharp.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Santa Clarita, CA
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Apparel - Unisex
ULEKstore
Unisex
$ 20.00
Various Novelties
GC Pinball
Various novelties
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-worth-saving and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.