(Topic ID: 300192)

Playfield wood repair

By DrChrys

2 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 2 years ago

Hello all. I have a Demolition man and right where the ball keeps dropping on the playfield after the jump from the middle ramp, the wood is destroyed. The area is not visible so my problem is not the aestetic part but the fact that the ball get stuck there. I tried to sand the fibers of the wood that were affected and I filled the hole with bondo then a mylar on top of that. It was a temporary fix because after more balls drop there the bondo got destroyed and moved under the mylar and the ball was stuck in the remaining whole.
    My plan is to make a piece of wood 1X2 inch and with the thickness of 1/8 or thinner and cut the playfield so that this piece will go there as an inlay. I never saw any pictures of other people doing this. Did someone else tried this? What wood is the playfield made of? I have some pine and I hope that will be OK. The plan is that if I make a piece big enough and I use some wood glue and maybe some brad nails than that piece will stay there after the ball will keep dropping on it.
    All the repairs I saw on this forum were about cosmetic aspect and some minor cracks and not about filling a big hole in the playfield. After I took out all the splintered wood from there I have a hole with the maximum depth of 1/16.
    Should I try another bondo and see if that works? I can take all ramps out again... hard to doo but very possible.
    Thanks for your help and I hope someone who did replace pieces of wood from the playfield will read this and maybe post some pictures.

2 months later
    #2 2 years ago

Have you tried fiberglass resin? I use it to repair corners and other places on cabinets. Seems that it would work on the playfield.

#3 2 years ago

Playfield is plywood and most likely maple veneer on top. I would not use pine, maple would be closer to the original and harder. Remove the bad and glue the new piece in with wood glue, brads are not necessary as a good wood glue will hold just fine. I would go deeper than 1/16", say 1/8" -3/16". glue and clamp overnight.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-wood-repair?hl=silverstreak02 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.