(Topic ID: 103340)

Playfield wax to use in basement with limited ventilation?

By Renouart

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Frax
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20140915215058758.jpg
    20140915215224364.jpg

#1 5 years ago

Having had my JP for a couple of months now, I am finally getting around to cleaning it up. This is pretty much my first pin I am working on, so very glad there is not much required. I have been avidly scouring the posts to figure out what is the best way to clean, wax, etc. After much reading, I decided to buy the Kit carnauba wax - it is cheap, and recommend by several people. Having finished with the Novus 2, and gotten off all the grime, I opened the Kit can, and was practically knocked over. This might be great for waxing a car out in the driveway, but in my basement, seems like a real bad idea. Maybe because it is a soft paste with lots of aromatic softeners? Well, I would like to find a wax that I feel comfortable using. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks for your help.

#2 5 years ago

If it is a soft paste it likely has lots of petroleum distallites, in which case you don't want it on your playfield anyway.

You want a hard wax for playfields.

Chris

#3 5 years ago

Wow, the Meguier's carnauba wax I bought smelled really nice. Maybe there is something wrong with me.

#4 5 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Wow, the Meguier's carnauba wax I bought smelled really nice. Maybe there is something wrong with me.

I have the same thing, though I haven't used it on the playfield yet. I didn't realize it was a petroleum product. I may have to rethink about using it if I want to preserve my pins.

#5 5 years ago

Yes, Kit is definitely a soft paste. I read a lot about Mequier's - it is a hard wax?

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from Renouart:

Yes, Kit is definitely a soft paste. I read a lot about Mequier's - it is a hard wax?

Apparently not. I just read off the can of Gold Class that I have that it has petroleum distallites.

#7 5 years ago

If you have limited ventilation, I highly recommend raw ether. It makes polishing the playfield so much more fun.

#8 5 years ago

I use this and I like the smell, is this what you guys are talking about?
    http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotive/products/g7014j-gold-class%E2%84%A2-carnauba-plus-paste-wax/

I don't see anything about petroleum distillates.
    Just polymers.

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from KloggMonkey:

http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotive/products/g7014j-gold-class%E2%84%A2-carnauba-plus-paste-wax/
    Just polymers.

That's exactly what I used after much internal debate in the car wax isle of Wal-Mart.

#10 5 years ago

I use this wax and all these cleaning products:

http://www.pinballsupernova.com/cleaning.html

#11 5 years ago

I'm in the same boat as you...I've read for hours...and everyone contradicts each other....I still haven't cleaned them.....how was the novus results...?....and if you dig deep enough...you novus lovers will see//read novus has petroleum in it.....small amount but it's there...good luck op........Joey

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from Renouart:

No, it wasn't a paste, you didn't squeeze it on from a bottle. It was a wax and came with sponge, and it went on real nice.

The plus part worried me, but it was one of the only products in the isle that said clear coat safe. Since diamond plate is an automotive clear coat, from what I understand, hopefully it was a good product to use. I did not get Turtle Carnauba wax because it said cleaner. I read on this site that you should not use that one.

#13 5 years ago

Got a lot of dirt off with the Novus 2, seemed like a good way to go. And did not smell much - but an open window was still probably a good idea.

#14 5 years ago

I love the wax smell in my basement. It's like marking my territory- wife comes down and wrinkles her nose and I take a big exaggerated whif and say "WHAT?!"

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from Breaking_Dad:

I'm in the same boat as you...I've read for hours...and everyone contradicts each other....

Yep, kinda frustrating, actually. Especially when there's a cheerleading section for each type of product. However--you also have to take into account the age/type of pin, since different materials were used in its manufacture, so that's probably where some of the disagreements come in.

Quoted from KloggMonkey:

Just polymers.

It's on the bottom of the can, where it says "CONTAINS" in yellow bold letters.

20140915215058758.jpg
    20140915215224364.jpg

#16 5 years ago

P21S concours is the only one to use. No odor. No abrasives. Not a "cleaner" wax. Hate both mothers and mcguiars. As a car guy I wouldn't put either of that mass produced crap on a Schwinn. And for a quick clean without stripping existing wax use Einzette 1z spuhwax.

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pinchroma:

P21S concours is the only one to use. No odor. No abrasives. Not a "cleaner" wax. Hate both mothers and mcguiars. As a car guy I wouldn't put either of that mass produced crap on a Schwinn. And for a quick clean without stripping existing wax use Einzette 1z spuhwax.

$40 for 6oz of P21S? Yikes.

#18 5 years ago

I have Gold Class, Meguiars Cleaner Wax, Surf City Garage Barrier Reef Wax, Turtle Wax, Mothers Cleaner Wax, ICE Synthetic Wax, Zymol, etc. I love to Wax games lol! My favorite wax is Meguiars Gold Class. I don't generally use Novus on the playfield except for the first cleaning, as I have found the wax to be effective for keeping the games clean if applied regularly. I think I will go wax a machine or two now lol......

#19 5 years ago

Thank you Alex.

Ill stand in the cheering section. 43 years of waxing playfields. The only thing IMO better than Meguiars, (in general)
    is P21S....Phenomenal product and worth every penny. No chalky residue, does not stain rubbers, plastics, etc.
    Takes 1/3 the time, as I dont have to hunt down missed wax.
    There is a 2 oz. for $15-$20, that will last you years of waxing on 1 game....You simply have to try this!
    Games play exceptionally fast. This is noticeable.

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

It's on the bottom of the can, where it says "CONTAINS" in yellow bold letters.

Interesting, didn't have the can near me. Why is it so hard to find that info online, about any wax. Come on ingredient list please.

I'll keep on using it, even with some petroleum distillates. Heck Naphtha IS a petroleum distillate and people don't worry about pouring that on their playfields.

When it runs out on to one grand for me.

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from KloggMonkey:

Interesting, didn't have the can near me. Why is it so hard to find that info online, about any wax. Come on ingredient list please.
    I'll keep on using it, even with some petroleum distillates. Heck Naphtha IS a petroleum distillate and people don't worry about pouring that on their playfields.
    When it runs out on to one grand for me.

I've seen Naptha recommended if you're stripping down a game for restoration and need to clean off the wax or any other residue on the playfield--it doesn't eat the clear coat or soak into the wood. Supposedly, petroleum distillates damage/disintigrate plastic, rubber, and vinyl materials over time and with repeated exposure, but leaves oil-based products (ie, clear coat and paint) alone.

#22 5 years ago

How about plain old fashioned Johnsons paste wax? Is that any good and safe?

#23 5 years ago
    Quoted from DnDPins:

How about plain old fashioned Johnsons paste wax? Is that any good and safe?

That's what I used on my 1964 River Boat and it worked out great. I would do more research before using it on my Maverick though as it's clear coated and has several pieces of Mylar.

#24 5 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Supposedly, petroleum distillates damage/disintigrate plastic, rubber, and vinyl materials over time and with repeated exposure, but leaves oil-based products (ie, clear coat and paint) alone.

So as long as I don't wax my ramps, plastics, or rubber. I'm good ....
    What a minute nobody should wax that stuff, I guess people flipping out about petroleum distillates in their wax need to relax a bit.

In seriousness I think the petroleum distillates are in wax are there so that the carnauba wax isn't hard as a rock. Which is why they can be used to remove wax when applied in larger doses.

#25 5 years ago

amazon.com link »

This is what I've been using for years. Smells great.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 12,500.00
    $ 26.95
    $ 7.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 23.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    £ 20.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 42.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Pinball Pro
    $ 499.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    € 60.00
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 38.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    € 9.95
    Playfield - Other
    Multigame
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 99.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Sales

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside