• Latest reply 5 years ago by crashpad
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2265 (resized).jpeg
#1 5 years ago

I have a neighbor who has an extra F-14 Tomcat playfield that he says he'll donate to me for wall art. Would it be possible to buy the appropriate LED lights for each insert, then somehow isolate the game ROMs that operate the attract mode and using either an Arduino or Raspberry PI control the LEDs so that the lights flashed like they did in attract mode on the original? Also, maybe I could get the speech/sound too and hook up speakers and it could periodically call out (also the attract mode speech/sounds). Then, if you could program all this to run through a routine and have pauses so it didn't drive you crazy going off all the time, maybe cycle through every 15 minutes or user-defined timing.

I'm just guessing about all this – thought it would be a cool thing to try and do, but wasn't sure where to start.

I'm trying to get him to park his F-14 Tomcat in my game room, but so far he hasn't gone for that. But it's just sitting in his sunroom, covered up and unloved, and unplayed.

He says he's going to pull the playfield out tomorrow, we'll see.

#2 5 years ago
Quoted from crashpad:

I have a neighbor who has an extra F-14 Tomcat playfield that he says he'll donate to me for wall art. Would it be possible to buy the appropriate LED lights for each insert, then somehow isolate the game ROMs that operate the attract mode and using either an Arduino or Raspberry PI control the LEDs so that the lights flashed like they did in attract mode on the original? Also, maybe I could get the speech/sound too and hook up speakers and it could periodically call out (also the attract mode speech/sounds). Then, if you could program all this to run through a routine and have pauses so it didn't drive you crazy going off all the time, maybe cycle through every 15 minutes or user-defined timing.
I'm just guessing about all this – thought it would be a cool thing to try and do, but wasn't sure where to start.
I'm trying to get him to park his F-14 Tomcat in my game room, but so far he hasn't gone for that. But it's just sitting in his sunroom, covered up and unloved, and unplayed.
He says he's going to pull the playfield out tomorrow, we'll see.

It’s possible to do as you ask sort of, yes, but you’re not going to want to go through the trouble, your talking about using a rpi and arduino to control all you ask, and your going to spend weeks writing code, the attract mode from the roms won’t be possible unless you get really creative and spend lots of cash.

Better to order a set of string leds off eBay and wire up something simple... look through my favorite topics and you’ll find a few examples that will get you started

#3 5 years ago

Thanks Chosen_S, I'll take a look. Yeah, if it isn't something pretty simple, I'm not up for spending a ton of cash and/or time figuring it out. I'll post when if I get it and what I do with it.

1 week later
#5 5 years ago

This is what my neighbor gave me – he said it was mine to do with what I want. I didn't know it was populated, thought it was just the playfield. I'm going to disassemble and see if I can restore the playfield. I might end up getting his F14-Tomcat. He sounded like he doesn't really want it anymore, but I don't know the condition. He says he tried selling it for $900 last year and couldn't even get that, so it may be beat. That said, it might be a good restore candidate with this playfield restored.

IMG_2265 (resized).jpegIMG_2265 (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-wall-art-f-14-tomcat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.