Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 37 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Bublehead
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

monkey (resized).jpg
    #1 5 years ago

Ok, lets start the Toy Story Toy speculation list... Let me start off.

Buzz Lightyear in his spaceship shaped box ala Dracula in his Coffin on MB... same toy. Or Prospector in his box who comes out to play mischeif and you have to bash him back into his box...

The Claw! Judge Dredd anybody?, LAH, JohnnyM, DK, BM66, GB? R911?, All similar type toys... nothing really new? Or a different use of a toy claw machine?

Slinky Dog doing something with the ball... forcefield? Magnet toy?

The Big One- some kind of firework/rocket toy...

Emperor Zurg ball lock and cannon launch... another cannon toy?

A TV to play episodes of woody roundup on...

Bo Peep and her sheep ball lock and multiball... just a scoop with a figure of Bo?

Rex tries to grab the ball as it goes past him. Animated little front legs and rotating head who watches the ball and speaks toy. Think Oktoberfest or TSPP Homer... maybe Sasquatch on W2O?

Hotwheels orange loop the loop ramp?

How about some ideas for these:

Big Baby? Or Lotso? The Army men? (was that CSI? No, Stern’s 24- God they looked awful)

Jessy, Evil Professor Porkchop, Mr and Mrs Potatoehead, Etch- (some kind of display toy?)
    Speak and Spell, Weezy, Barbie, Ken, etc... etc...

#2 5 years ago

Hope we get some of those and not a big open playfield Hobbit style.

#3 5 years ago

a really cool (but probably expensive) use of the slinky dog could be to stretch out to grab and bite the ball and then retract to drop the ball into a subway or ball lock

#4 5 years ago

I heard that toy story was a possible re-theme????? Maybe based off Dialed in?? Just a rumor. Definitely need all the main characters like Buzz, Woody, Rex, mr potato head, etc.

#5 5 years ago

3 concentric spinning dis... wait, too soon?

#7 5 years ago

I really hope for some sort of loop the loop ramp in Hot Wheels orange. A toy claw could be excellent, especially if the game has different balls and know which one you pull out. Maybe have Rex eat a ball ala DE Jurassic Park

#8 5 years ago

There is so much potential for this theme, I just hope they don’t bog it down with too many rules... I don’t need to know what mode needs what multiplier selected or not selected, or what action button I have to press to get my gold... that shit is not really pinball to me. Multipliers tied to number of balls on the table, or simple multipliers like bonus and playfield which can be earned, and simple individual scoring modes which can be stacked.
    Part of the discovery of playing a machine was figuring out what modes to stack, what modes to not stack, what order to complete the modes, and what strategies gives the best bang for the risk. But most of the time, you just shoot the flashing lights. Pinball is a physical game of skill, not a Mensa test.

I totally agree with this “quote” from Star Trek, voyage home by Scotty-

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from BOBCADE:

Hope we get some of those and not a big open playfield Hobbit style.

What would any JJP related thread be without a Hobbit basher. I hope it’s the exact same layout as Hobbit just so you have a new game to moan about.

#10 5 years ago

#11 5 years ago

Maybe a mini raised playfield for the bed with a nice ramp off of the upper end of to create Buzz's flying scene.

I think the neighbor's house should be in there somewhere, maybe as a ball lock, and defeating the neighbor releases them. It would be amazing to have a lower playfield, ala Black Hole and Haunted House, that represented the neighbor's, and not successfully accomplishing the goal down there is a lost ball.

#12 5 years ago

The thing with Toy Story, especially the trilogy is that there are so many primary characters (Woody, Buzz, Jessie, Andy), villains (Lotso, Sid, Prospector), and then a million secondary characters (Rex, Hamm, Slinky, Barbie & Ken, Mr. & Mrs Potato Head, and even to an extent Bonnie's existing toys), that there's no way to cram all of them onto a PF. You have to think of what a Lawlor game can hold and then how to get some elements from the game in there, leaving the rest to the display.

I'd personally have 2 ramps feeding the inlanes, one as slinky dog (a la Scared Stiff) and the other as a Hot Wheels track. From there, I'd integrate Buzz in the apron and have his laser beam be a crossbow toy like Walking Dead dressed up as his arm. Therefore Woody now has to be on the PF to make the game instantly recognizable. As he's a flimsy character, and that you shouldn't have to bash him and he has no items which could interact with a ball, I'd just make him a head in an upper corner which narrates to you (think Smaug... but better... or Homer... but less dumb looking). Other corner could be a "Thaaa Clawwww" crane toy positioned like Thing in TAF.

Now I've put 5 characters (Woody, Buzz, Aliens, Slinky, Hot Wheels) in the game, all along the perimeter, while not using up any of the main area of the PF. This is where I'd get the villains involved. As Sid is the oldest and probably the least pleasant to have on the PF, I'd have him rise up like Monger and Dr. Evil. I'd put a Prospector Pete in box bash toy somewhere, and then have Lotso either as a bash or a ramp. Now we're at 8 notable toys from the movie and probably at capacity... unless you can make a Mr. Potato Head "backdoor" scoop if you know what I mean.

For all the secondary characters, they'd be integrated into modes on the display where you have to collect them for boss battles and/or MB's. That would be a jammed packed PF while also making sure all favorite characters are still seen at some point in the game.

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bublehead:

There is so much potential for this theme, I just hope they don’t bog it down with too many rules... I don’t need to know what mode needs what multiplier selected or not selected, or what action button I have to press to get my gold... that shit is not really pinball to me. Multipliers tied to number of balls on the table, or simple multipliers like bonus and playfield which can be earned, and simple individual scoring modes which can be stacked.
    Part of the discovery of playing a machine was figuring out what modes to stack, what modes to not stack, what order to complete the modes, and what strategies gives the best bang for the risk. But most of the time, you just shoot the flashing lights. Pinball is a physical game of skill, not a Mensa test.
    I totally agree with this “quote” from Star Trek, voyage home by Scotty-

I agree with you in principle that there need to be straightforward games, but I don't think Jersey Jack is that company. The price tag primarily limits them to home collectors who want gameplay depth. That said, it would be nice if JJP could make a "cheap" game that appeals to operates and that could sell in quantity. Maybe Toy Story could be that game, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

#14 5 years ago

I wish someone would leak a pic of the playfield already.

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

a really cool (but probably expensive) use of the slinky dog could be to stretch out to grab and bite the ball and then retract to drop the ball into a subway or ball lock

Or make a ramp that runs through slinkys stomach. Imagine shooting your balls up his butthole and then he puke'em out during multiball

#16 5 years ago

Wow, no love from @thelaw, so I’m wondering what about that post dropped a turd in your Wheaties? (Just poking a little fun dude). Just because I am openly bashing the depth of JJPoTC or TH, or just about every other currently produced modern day pin ruleset that is deeper than “10 points when lit”? Maybe? Because I will gladly jump all over ALL the modern rulesets from every manufacturer if you want me to. I like toys. I like making toys do their thing. I like light shows, I like animations, I like funny callouts, I like wizard modes, I like multiballs. I like stacking, I like combos, I like multipliers, I like easter eggs. What I don’t need, however, is thirty seven different ways to play the strategy on a machine, based on a ruleset thats deeper than the Marianas fucking trench. What I consider “deep” is wizard modes like Sperm Attack Multiball, Lost in the Zone, things that require you to complete things but maybe not everything, and yet you can get to the final mode. That is deep to me. Knowing that if I choose character X at the beginning of my ball, that during mode Y this lets me actually finish the mode which I need to get to some final wizard mode Z, and if that pathway is not clear cut, straight forward, and published somewhere, like when I hold up a flipper for instant info or on the apron card, then the rules are more confusing than beneficial. I play to see neat stuff, not so much get a high score (at least not much higher than a replay )

#17 5 years ago

A monkey, they are very trendy in the industry !

monkey (resized).jpgmonkey (resized).jpg
    #18 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bublehead:

Wow, no love from thelaw, so I’m wondering what about that post dropped a turd in your Wheaties? (Just poking a little fun dude).

No offense taken. I just disagree with your narrow view of what a pinball machine is "supposed" to be; of course it's no more worthless/meaningful that anyone else's.
    I think there's room for all types of games. Some are more in depth, some are more rules based, some have multipliers, throwback classic Sterns etc etc.

For me it's always been the constant issue on here for years; people inventing a subgroup of games and putting themselves in a box.

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from adol75:

A monkey, they are very trendy in the industry !
    [quoted image]

Ok, that post got love by me and @thelaw... Yeah, maybe the monkey is the new COW?!?

#20 5 years ago

The moneky could rule. If it had actual cymbals and clanged them while shrieking as a hurryup timer (getting increasingly frantic with a chase animation on the screen) to shoot a target would be potentially hilarious if it was RARE and playing the game did not involve shrieking every 1 minute. I am not so sure what else it would be good for so limited for sure.

The claw would be fun but no idea how it would work unless you had some type of magnet to capture the ball weakly- maybe during multi ball the magnet activates and you use the crane to capture it (if other balls do not knock it loose) and then for each ball captured you get a second multiball with equal balls or a ball save or some reward. That could be pretty damn fun. Trying to manage multiball to avoid knocking loose the captive ball and also shooting for the crane switch would be great. Maybe the monkey could stary screaming if you have a captive ball and thats the hurry up to hit the crane switch.

Whatever- its an amazing theme.

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bublehead:

Yeah, maybe the monkey is the new COW?!?

Thematically it could work. Sexually of course we were milking the cow not the monkey grabbing us so in 2018 I don't know.

#22 5 years ago

@thelaw, yes, I should suffix it with IMHO, and you are right, I have a very specific idea of what a game SHOULD be to me, which is not what the trend is in modern rulesets. And the HUO market has really tainted the rules for the casual player in favor of the depth for long term gameroom staying power. I mean if I got to the wizard mode all the time on a machine, it would not last long in my gameroom either, except its not just my gameroom. So I was done with Pinbot and BOP pretty quickly from that point of view. When you can walk up and score a solar value jackpot and reach the Sun, or turn her human and score a billionaire club shot, or try and turn her over with 10 billion... yeah time to move on. But I am moving up to a MB... which is shallower than FGy, but sometimes more satisfying because you can get to MMP, MOR or LL, or score the Rock before Bash bonus or the super six easter egg, there are plenty of goals for the wizard to try for besides GC, MB champion, or MOR champion. But maybe I am too old school ‘90s for the newer trends...

#23 5 years ago

Story
    - use the characters but use a fresh story line to stop Zerg from taking over the universe

Challenges
    - collect the characters
    - main mission is to collect parts for Buzz's real space ship, depending on parts collected will determine the spaceship's destination and wizard mode
    - collect toy parts from Sid's yard to add to the space ship
    - soliders do a recon mission to find parts (at Stern, Spooky, Americian Pinball, Deeproot, but don't bother with Homepin)
    - definitely go to the arcade and collect the aliens as you need them for the language translation - then may as well dive into a JJP pinball game while at the arcade to retrieve some parts and incorporate JJP's other games on the screen and 3d walk around in the world of that game on the screen
    - fly to say 1 of 3 planets / worlds (depending on the ship you built) to save the planet from Zurg's universe take over, if you defeat the wizard mode and save the planet you then fly directly to another planet as you get spaceship upgrades and you choose the planet.

Characters
    - Buzz, Woodie, Jessie, Rex, slinky dog, potato head, Aliens (Claw Machine), Rex, the green army soldiers , Emperor Zurg

Ramps
    - agree on a slinky dog ramp where the slinky goes around the ramp and maybe the ramp could stretch out to place the ball in a new area once some goals are achieved.
    - also agree on a bright orange hotwheels track with a loop or a jump and depending on the speed on the ramp could be- slow lands on the playfield, medium gets to a lower ramp and high speed gets to a better adventure

The planets could have weird planet names but the 1st letter of each planet can be be from J - J - P (Jersey Jack Pinball)

#24 5 years ago

@swinks, I like the way you are thinking... don’t make it about the movies and those plotlines, because they are all resolved, and that really limits your design to what HAS to happen in all (now 4) films, including TS4:Sporky goes to the Landfill.

Take on a new quest that we havent seen before. I can see Pixar taking this approach to do a mini TS storyline. They love to tell stories, and if they went this way, It would ge a hit because poeple would play to see a 5th mini movie, one cut scene at a time, between modes.

#25 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bublehead:

Take on a new quest that we havent seen before. I can see Pixar taking this approach to do a mini TS storyline.

A transgender Toy Story? Maybe too ground-breaking...

#26 5 years ago

wait..... did i miss something? Is there now confirmation of a Toy Story pin somewhere?

#27 5 years ago

Can guarantee it won't have a toy on a spring.

#28 5 years ago

Potatoe Head: collect his missing pieces.
    Integrate an LCD for his face into a plastic toy. He’d be an awesome narrator too as you collect his parts.

Etch a sketch would also be great for an LCD interface. Two little knobs that wiggle with servos as mission instructions write themselves up...

#29 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball-Pat:

P
    Etch a sketch would also be great for an LCD interface. Two little knobs that wiggle with servos as mission instructions write themselves up...

Etch a Sketch - is a great idea and could give you tips of where to go

#30 5 years ago
    Quoted from swinks:

Story
    - use the characters but use a fresh story line to stop Zerg from taking over the universe
    Challenges
    - collect the characters
    - main mission is to collect parts for Buzz's real space ship, depending on parts collected will determine the spaceship's destination and wizard mode
    - collect toy parts from Sid's yard to add to the space ship
    - soliders do a recon mission to find parts (at Stern, Spooky, Americian Pinball, Deeproot, but don't bother with Homepin)
    - definitely go to the arcade and collect the aliens as you need them for the language translation - then may as well dive into a JJP pinball game while at the arcade to retrieve some parts and incorporate JJP's other games on the screen and 3d walk around in the world of that game on the screen
    - fly to say 1 of 3 planets / worlds (depending on the ship you built) to save the planet from Zurg's universe take over, if you defeat the wizard mode and save the planet you then fly directly to another planet as you get spaceship upgrades and you choose the planet.
    Characters
    - Buzz, Woodie, Jessie, Rex, slinky dog, potato head, Aliens (Claw Machine), Rex, the green army soldiers , Emperor Zurg
    Ramps
    - agree on a slinky dog ramp where the slinky goes around the ramp and maybe the ramp could stretch out to place the ball in a new area once some goals are achieved.
    - also agree on a bright orange hotwheels track with a loop or a jump and depending on the speed on the ramp could be- slow lands on the playfield, medium gets to a lower ramp and high speed gets to a better adventure
    The planets could have weird planet names but the 1st letter of each planet can be be from J - J - P (Jersey Jack Pinball)

Love this post, and think it’s a great approach. Somehow I even forgot to include Zerg in my list of villians (Al as well!).

Funny I forgot Zerg as he was the first toy where my son made a purchase. When we go to Disney, he has to help pay his airfare via piggy bank. It’s started to instill a pretty decent work ethic. He has a set amount he has to earn and anything on top he gets to use for souvineers.

So when he first went, he wanted a foot-tall Zerg toy in Tomorrowland that was the same size as his Buzz toy. I thought it was crazy to waste all his extra money on one toy, on the first day, but holy hell was he right in his commitment to play with it. I think every hero toy in the house had their day with Zerg (I know because I had to be him). Little LEGO figures somehow could take down Zerg.

It’s a huge tangent, but also shows how powerful this title is, and how if done correctly, JJP has a home run license that will transcend multiple generations.

#31 5 years ago

I know it was more of a Woody call out but somewhere I'd like to see a snake in a boot.

#32 5 years ago

@vireland, Touche! Sir. Took me a second. No we dont want no Woody-furter or Franken-year strutting across the playfield in fishnets...

#33 5 years ago

@tractordoc, left kickback... looks like boot, ball rolls past, snake shoots it back in play, Woody says...

#34 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bublehead:

vireland, Touche! Sir. Took me a second. No we dont want no Woody-furter or Franken-year strutting across the playfield in fishnets...

That might be a little too gauche of an interpretation, anyway. At least they wouldn't have to change his pull string recording. It already sounds like "reach for this guy!"

#35 5 years ago

I would really like to see a talking MR potato head ala Rudy in the playfield. They do this at the toy story ride at Disney and I think it would work really well in a pin.

#36 5 years ago

Hurry Up Mode - Collect mr potato head's parts that pops off his body

#37 5 years ago

First completed shot would give him his mouth and he would berate you the entire time especially for missed shots, but every found (completed shot) piece he would say some sarcastic remark, like great, one Leg, like what am I supposed to do now? hop around all day? Ya hockey puck! You get the idea...

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-toys-for-toy-story-speculation-thread?hl=adol75 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.