(Topic ID: 3259)

Playfield touchups....

By Schusler

13 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 13 years ago

As far as restorations go, this has to be my weakest link! I've seen some people when there work was done look absolutely stunning. Unfortunately, I don't fit into that category!

So, how good are you? Any pointers or advice for the non-artist in me?

This is all related to the Bally Spectrum I just picked up which I will soon start it's own thread....

#2 13 years ago

Unfortunately, I don't fit into that category

It's been my experience that you never know if that is true until you try. You may actually surprise yourself with what you can do. I don't consider myself to be extremely talented in that regard either, but I can follow directions well and I think that's what's most important.

So, how good are you?

Electronically, pretty good with a lot of experience in troubleshooting. I do all of my own circuit board repairs (which is one of my main reasons for the hobby). Playfield restoration, so-so. I'm getting ready to attempt my first clear-coat (Gorgar). Backglass, so-so. I've done a few touchups that look great and one recently that didn't turn out so good (Star Trek).

I'm working on several projects now (off and on with school and other things). I'm in no hurry to complete any of them. I'll share as I go.

G

#3 13 years ago

Well, I have touched up a couple playfields now, and I think 2 things are key. #1 is getting a really good close up picture of what the area should look like that you're painting....... and #2 is color matching. Maybe that should be #1. If the colors aren't an exact match, it'll stand out and you want it to fade in to oblivion. That's my bestest tips so far.

#4 13 years ago

I've done some playfield restoration. I'm graphic artist and screen printer by trade. I've gone as far as screen print directly onto the playfield to duplicate detailed lacework. But this is what I do everyday except is on other products.

#1 is color matching. A perfect restoration starts and ends with color matching. It must be perfect or even the best work is wasted. I do color matching everyday by trade and it takes years to master if you want to do it quickly. I use 2 part epoxy based inks for my trade so I use these on my restorations. These are very expensive inks some as much as $300.00 a quart or more but they are extremely durable and do not need to be covered with a clear coat or mylar to protect it, even in high wear areas. And they mix really good for getting the right shades of color. Unfortunately due to the cost this is not feasible for the average person to use.

Sometimes it's easier to recolor a whole area rather than try to match just a spot of it. I reccomend this when you can.

Also very important! The inks I use don't change color when they dry but some of the other paints in craft stores do...This makes color matching a tedious task because you have to wait for your color to dry before you know if it's correct.

One more thing....Take your time. Rushing a restoration is asking for trouble.

#5 13 years ago

In case you were wondering...They are Enthone epoxy screen inks.

#6 13 years ago

Thanks fellas! I'll heed your advice!

#7 13 years ago

i agree with these guys give it a shot. i started restoring a bally playboy about a month ago started with playfield touchups and even complete redraws of certain parts. i am no artist at all but i am doing well. keep in mind if its a machine you plan to keep then its worth a shot. the work you do to it if you take your time will look alot better than it is in its current state. goodluck

#8 13 years ago

The only advice I can give is that Paint Thinner, and Paint Retarders are your friends, learn to love them. 10 super thin coats look way better than one fat blobby coat. Also invest in good brushes if you are using a brush.

#9 13 years ago

good brushes are so expensive

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-touchups and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.