pin_031.JPG
pin_030.JPG
100_4910.jpg
photo_post.JPG
photo_pre.JPG
RKpost.jpg
RKpre.jpg
#1 11 years ago

I finally got enough courage to try my hand at playfield touchup on my Road Kings which had significant wear when purchased. After reading many forum posts I picked up some Testors enamels and gave it a go figuring that any touchup would be better than the bare wood spots. I am considering this a test run and a form of preventative maintenance to keep the rest of the affected area from chipping away and plan to touch it up again when I do a deep cleaning on the PF sometime in the future. I'm fairly pleased with the results considering matching the paint pattern dithering by hand is impossible and I am by no stretch an artist. To the untrained eye the touched up areas are not noticeable from playing distance which brings a smile to my face. The first photo shows my touchup about 60% done with the areas that were down to bare wood circled in blue. The second photo is about an hour after drying and a quick light buff with a magic eraser. I also have to touchup a large area around the bonus lights which I am not quite ready to tackle without some practice on paper first, maybe some of my fellow pinsiders have some suggestions before I take that on.

RKpre.jpgRKpre.jpg RKpost.jpgRKpost.jpg

#2 11 years ago

Nice work! Came out good!

#3 11 years ago
Quoted from phillips11103:

Nice work! Came out good!

Thanks Phillips, I was nervous enough giving this a try but just like performing the first repair we all have to get our feet wet sometime.

#4 11 years ago
Quoted from 72Devilz:

Thanks Phillips, I was nervous enough giving this a try but just like performing the first repair we all have to get our feet wet sometime.

Haha, I feel you. I recently did my first touch up job on my '69 Gottlieb Road race. Needless to say I was a bit scared looking at my hand holding a paintbrush anywhere near the play field haha. Keep up the good work! Please share the bonus light touch up when you get to it!

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from phillips11103:

Haha, I feel you. I recently did my first touch up job on my '69 Gottlieb Road race. Needless to say I was a bit scared looking at my hand holding a paintbrush anywhere near the play field haha.

Haha yep, not sure what got more paint on it, the PF, my hand or the vinyl floor where I dropped one of the bottles (oops) damn that testors is hard to get off your skin!

#6 11 years ago

Looks good as you say unless you told someone they would not notice. Always good to see a game get someone who wants it looking, playing better.

#7 11 years ago

Looks good!

#8 11 years ago

Wow looks awesome! My problem was having some bubble up and paint lifting when I used clear coat

#9 11 years ago

Thanks GizzArd! I used enamel so I wouldn't have to clearcoat the repair. The magic eraser helped in smoothing out all the brush strokes. I hope after curing and waxing it will retain its look. My local store didn't have testor clear enamel so I may have to pick some up if the paint scuffs.

#10 11 years ago

Decent! (Bubbles,trailer park boys)

#11 11 years ago

Oh man you really did your research! If I decide to touch up my wizard I will def use your technique! Actually the guy I got my wizard from did a rough touch up and perhaps ill use magic eraser on that! I'm not sure how long ago it was done but it sure would be nice to have it smoother. You made my night!

#12 11 years ago

If you use a magic eraser make sure the paint is cured at least an hour and buff very lightly on the repaired area at first to smooth out, a nice side effect is that it also removes the excess paint on intact PF. I'm a newbie to PF touch up as this is my first one so others probably have better ideas but the magic eraser is a happy accident for me.

#13 11 years ago

looks good! i did some touch up on my deadly weapon. it's been holding up okay but it's chipping a little, still looking a lot better than it did. i probably should have used some super fine sandpaper to get rid of the the left over paint debris chunks. i'm planning to go back and touch them up. i've heard it does better if you let it sit for several days after painting but i was too excited to play it! mylaring over it might also be a good option, though i don't know if there would be issues with bubbling later down the road.

#14 11 years ago

I went for it this afternoon and tackled the bonus light area. Paint color matching was very difficult (once again) due to the dithering pattern but I think it came out pretty good. I added more distressing (black dots) to breakup the difference between the original and touched up area. The first picture was after I painted in gun barrel outlines that were missing, half of the middle gun barrel band, guide lines, 1/8th of the barrel assembly at the bonus #1 light and rough bonus light blackouts with the exception of #1 which were completely gone. After the paint is fully set I will detail out the bonus light blackouts.

photo_pre.JPGphoto_pre.JPG photo_post.JPGphoto_post.JPG

#15 11 years ago

That barrel looks great! You've got quite the knack.

#16 11 years ago

These look great! I'm touching up my Pinbot currently... no bad wear spots but lots of cracking in the lacquer and top layer of color. Tough going but definitely worth it.

#17 11 years ago

Very nice work, I hope I can do asmgoodmamjob as you when I decide to tackle some touch up!

#18 11 years ago

Damn... no doubt, that's awesome looking. really nice work

#19 11 years ago
Quoted from joestro78:

That barrel looks great! You've got quite the knack.

Well considering I never took an art class in HS I kind of surprised myself! Halfway through I was starting to wonder if I just totally screwed up my playfield as it was looking pretty ugly, the distressing really brought out the detail.

Quoted from GListOverflow:

These look great! I'm touching up my Pinbot currently... no bad wear spots but lots of cracking in the lacquer and top layer of color. Tough going but definitely worth it.

Please post pictures and share your tips and tricks, I've got lots to learn!

Quoted from Gnatty:

Very nice work, I hope I can do asmgoodmamjob as you when I decide to tackle some touch up!

If you can keep a steady hand and can do a decent job matching color by eye then I don't see how you can do any worse than me. Oh and BTW never ever use blue masking tape even for a few seconds, I used a thin strip for guide lines on the barrel and it started to lift the PF paint after being down for less than 10 seconds. That was a lesson learned the hard way, good thing I kept the tape inside the barrel!

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from APOLLO_13:

Damn... no doubt, that's awesome looking. really nice work

Thanks APOLLO_13! Thanks to all the forum posts here on Pinside regarding touchup. Without the lessons learned here I would have never even tried to do this project and most likely would have buggered the job had I tried before researching!

#21 11 years ago

ya, my Black Hole was pretty rough... I was actually looking for another pf to replace it, but in the end I thought, well, I'll try it... anything was better than bare wood right? I think it will look okay once it's back together and the lights are off... lol

#22 11 years ago

Hopefully some fellow Pinsiders can chime in as to how long I should wait before waxing, I did a light wax on the first touchup today which was 24 hours after painting and the paint started to smear requiring me to do a little re touching of the area. From what I've read the Enamel should be safe to wax without smearing in about two weeks. Please chime in guys!

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from APOLLO_13:

ya, my Black Hole was pretty rough... I was actually looking for another pf to replace it, but in the end I thought, well, I'll try it... anything was better than bare wood right? I think it will look okay once it's back together and the lights are off... lol

Thats where I remember your username, I read your original post on the BH machine. How is your restoration coming along? I'd love to see progress pictures as it comes together.

#24 11 years ago

I found 3 of the 4 paint colors last week and did some touch ups over the weekend, well yesterday I need to take some more photos of it at this stage... like I said, it's not even close too what I think it should be, but I just had to come to grips with "it is what it is" and it should look okay from 6'... lol a 6 foot paint job ( it looks good from 6 feet away)

#25 11 years ago
Quoted from APOLLO_13:

I just had to come to grips with "it is what it is" and it should look okay from 6'... lol a 6 foot paint job ( it looks good from 6 feet away)

Those were almost the same words I used when I called the wife down to judge my work! Haahaa!

#26 11 years ago
Quoted from 72Devilz:

Those were almost the same words I used when I called the wife down to judge my work! Haahaa

lol, mine said she thought it looked fine as well, and once it was together you prob wouldn't even be able to notice the touch up... we'll see yours look really nice from here though, seriously. nice work

#27 11 years ago

That is looking great in the photos. I hope mine ends up that good.

I am currently repainting a Fire! machine, I wish I would have tried the enamel paint. I have been using acrylic and coating it with varnish to harden it. I'm not sure how well it will hold up, but if it chips away I guess I can always redo it with enamel.

#28 11 years ago

here are some before... I don't have any after right now... I'll take some pics tomorrow and post them... it'll be from 6ft though lol

100_4910.jpg100_4910.jpg pin_030.JPGpin_030.JPG pin_031.JPGpin_031.JPG

#29 11 years ago

I bought this machine about a year ago and have never even played it... I have installed all new boards and by the time I got them in I had the pf torn apart to touch-up, then got caught up in the "perfection thing"... I have finally started to get on this so I can play it and hopefully it works with the new boards and ribbon cable

#30 11 years ago
Quoted from APOLLO_13:

here are some before... I don't have any after right now... I'll take some pics tomorrow and post them... it'll be from 6ft though lol

That PF has a lot of promise, not bad looking at all. It doesn't look like you have really large areas to fill but quite a bit of color toning. She's gonna be a beauty when finished!

#31 11 years ago

I hope so... I feel like I need to sand it some more though... lots of low spots under were the pop bumper mylars were, and the yellowing from the clear I guess, or maybe just age... I just didn't want to sand the paint off trying to get the yellowing out of it.

#32 11 years ago

So far I have just been touching up the black, which is pretty easy. Since the main issue is just the cracking I thinned down the paint some and the capillary action helps to carry it through the cracks. Have not had to do any color matching yet, but that is coming. The Testors enamels are REALLY close to the Pinbot colors, but just different enough that I will need to adjust them a bit or it would be pretty ugly.

I have been letting the paint sit overnight and then wiping with a paper towel soaked in 91%. It takes the excess paint off of the good surface while leaving it in the cracks. Just have to be careful not to drag it over other cracks that shouldn't be black inside, as it does smear a bit until it is fully wiped up.

I have read some other people talking about Testors enamels coming off with naphtha even after a long cure time, but I have found that in about a week it seems to be pretty much impervious unless you are really scrubbing on it.

Here's an in-progress pic, it should be clear if you click to zoom in what has and has not been touched up so far. Pretty much the whole playfield had this cracking in the color to some degree, it shows as white because I guess the under-layer is white.

2012-12-30_17-25-24_404.jpg2012-12-30_17-25-24_404.jpg

#33 11 years ago

So it looks like you have touched up the area to the left/bottom left of the sun, very well done! Looks like a very tedious job though, lots of colors to fill on that one!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 22.50
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-touchup-first-attempt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.