6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 134 posts
  • 63 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by gweempose
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 13 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

abandon_(1).gif
    images_(2).jpg
    images_(1).jpg
    imagesa.jpg
    P4150054.JPG
    popcorn_eat_good.gif
    popcorn.gif
    P4080026.JPG
    P4080025.JPG
    P4080008.JPG
    P4080039.JPG
    P4080023.JPG
    P4080034.JPG

This topic is closed.

There are 134 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 6 years ago

What I dont get is what was going through his mind. I think we all agree Mike knows enough to not clear over badly raised inserts and horrid touchups. He knows once he does its permanent. He knew I was waiting 10 months for this. He knew I restored my cabinet. He knew he asked me to post pics of this on pinside. So then why? Yes there are two side to every story. I really want to hear the other side. And no, I dont think giving me my own money back plus $100 is fair compensation. I honestly don't know what is.

#52 6 years ago

That playfield looks like the ones I hang up on my walls.....unrestorable. Sorry to hear about this

#53 6 years ago

maybe youve been punked??? is it the same pf you sent him?

#54 6 years ago

Damn! That's some ugly touch ups right there. I'd really like to hear GAP justify that. How could he think that was acceptable? Doing it for free is irrelevent.

I just read the original thread and couldn't help but laugh (pity) at your excitement and optimism at having a perfect High Speed. I resisted posting a reply because then there would basically be 2 threads active on the same subject although I was partly thinking GAP might be alerted if that old thread was posted in again.

Hope you get this all sorted somehow TPF. Are you saying that no one will retouch that PF now? It sounds like you really need to just scrap it and get a rerun. Especially if it's cheaper than a pro retouch.

#55 6 years ago
    Quoted from scottc:

maybe youve been punked??? is it the same pf you sent him?

I though the same thing.

"Is this a joke?" as I open the box.

#56 6 years ago
    Quoted from chocky909:

Damn! That's some ugly touch ups right there. I'd really like to hear GAP justify that. How could he think that was acceptable? Doing it for free is irrelevent.
    I just read the original thread and couldn't help but laugh (pity) at your excitement and optimism at having a perfect High Speed. I resisted posting a reply because then there would basically be 2 threads active on the same subject although I was partly thinking GAP might be alerted if that old thread was posted in again.
    Hope you get this all sorted somehow TPF. Are you saying that no one will retouch that PF now? It sounds like you really need to just scrap it and get a rerun. Especially if it's cheaper than a pro retouch.

I dont know if NO ONE wil touch it but I think we all agree it will cost more than replacing it.

#57 6 years ago

Is it possible that the touchups did not look "that" bad before the clear? Could the clear have spread the paint used for the touchups? Vid has mentioned that some paints change color under clear.

Not trying to defend poor work. He still should not have sent you the playfield in this condition. Maybe the clear could be sanded and leveled to some extent and you could salvage it? I feel really bad for you. I know I would be really torn up about it. Getting my money back would not be good enough. I think GAP should replace your playfield. Thats what I would do if I effed up someone's playfield.

#58 6 years ago

Ive got to get some work done for a bit. You guys keep it civil and my thread open. Thanks for the support. Honestly, I was so excited to have such a beautiful machine I was crushed when I saw the PF.

#59 6 years ago

So much of this hobby is about trust. We ship pins and parts far away on a verbal or email agreement. It sucks that this happens. I think this type of stuff happens a lot and most people are quiet after they get burned.

#60 6 years ago

Someone has to have a pf for this guy....wish I did.

#61 6 years ago

If you get stuck, and can't move past this one, buy another HS with wear, swap PF's, sell that one as is, as a better than the PF that was pulled with issues (someone will be happy with it), and have a new canvass to work with.

It would be nice in fact if GAP did this part for you, as you shouldn't have to go through that amount of work.

#62 6 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

I don't know much about GAP, but those touchups look amateurish.

That's charitable, they look worse than that to me. I'd consider that level of work completely unacceptable at any price and speed.

#63 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pafasa:

Is it possible that the touchups did not look "that" bad before the clear? Could the clear have spread the paint used for the touchups? Vid has mentioned that some paints change color under clear.
    Not trying to defend poor work. He still should not have sent you the playfield in this condition. Maybe the clear could be sanded and leveled to some extent and you could salvage it? I feel really bad for you. I know I would be really torn up about it. Getting my money back would not be good enough. I think GAP should replace your playfield. Thats what I would do if I effed up someone's playfield.

You are correct to some extent. Some of the paint did bleed after the clear was applied. Not all the bad touch ups are a result of that though. Either way, If your going to work on other peoples stuff you should know this is a possibility and take the steps to prevent it. Then if you fail at taking those steps and it still happens you should correct it. Not over charge me and send it anyways.

#64 6 years ago

This can't be good for business...

#65 6 years ago

From the other thread:

Quoted from GAP:

I will have three guys doing the artwork restoration with me. I will be over seeing the whole process as well as doing artwork myself.

#66 6 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

Dosen't matter...he agreed to do it for free. Doesn't mean you should do a crappy job...

This just proves my point. What should you expect for free? GAP should not have done this obviously they have no expertise in this field. But honestly, if you expect it to look even close to nos for free you're kidding yourself. Pay little, get poor work. To get good work its very labor intensive and therefore costs money.

#67 6 years ago

had a couple of thoughts

imagesa.jpg images_(1).jpg

#68 6 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

If you get stuck, and can't move past this one, buy another HS with wear, swap PF's, sell that one as is, as a better than the PF that was pulled with issues (someone will be happy with it), and have a new canvass to work with.

He's right. Someone will still want this for $200-$300. That will get you halfway to the CPR repros.

I had a couple of Funhouse playfields that I cleared that had decent but not perfect amateur restorations (done by a family member) and the buyers were happy with them for $300 rather than paying the $800 it would cost for the repros that were available at the time.

#69 6 years ago

If you have a few more PF's

images_(2).jpg

#70 6 years ago

Wow.

The biggest shame is that the PF didn't look TOO bad in the before shots...definitely something that someone could've spent the time on to get near perfect.

Just curious...what is your expected/ideal outcome from both your transaction and this post?

#71 6 years ago

Maybe the "free" work is to test the skills of his newly hired artists.

#72 6 years ago

while the job is shitty lets refrain from piling on here fellas.

#73 6 years ago

Sorry,I'm off the meds, I'll try to behave.

TILTed post. Sign in to be able to view TILTed posts.
    #76 6 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

It would be nice in fact if GAP did this part for you, as you shouldn't have to go through that amount of work.

There is a HS for sale in Lincoln NE if that is of any help
    lincoln.craigslist.org link

#77 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballrus:

This can't be good for business...

To further your point:

#78 6 years ago

Really sorry to see this man. Thanks for posting all of this in a detailed and tactful manor. Really unfortunate.

TILTed post. Sign in to be able to view TILTed posts.
    #80 6 years ago

Looks like a 2nd graders school art project. Fail.

#81 6 years ago
    Quoted from NJGecko:

Lots of folks have said "you get what you pay for, and it was free" here.
    Yes, that's normally true, but I need to point out that the work was done under the premise that GAP is a professional and he was looking for some work to work on touchups. If a car dealer is asking for candidates to hone their skills, you don't expect show quality, but you also expect professional work.

Which brings up another often used phrase

"if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is"

#82 6 years ago

In for updates...sent GAP an email about restoration of Mars God of War with a touch up and clear coat but never heard back.

#83 6 years ago
    Quoted from Chitownpinball:

sent GAP an email about restoration of Mars God of War with a touch up and clear coat but never heard back.

Looks like its a good thing you didn't hear back.

#84 6 years ago

If the playfield would have landed in the range of fair to decent I would have been happy. I would have asked if he wanted me to post pics first and I would have put it in the cabinet. That is not what I got. Yes its was free touchup work but the clear was not and its just as bad and should not have even been done. The touchup work may have been free but was solicited by mike himself and was in return for promoting his work. There was no reason I should have expected this. Even if "I got what I paid for" as some of you feel, it should not have been cleared. He should have told me its not ready to be cleared and sent it back. Can any of you honestly say if GAP made the same offer to you you would have turned it down. I feel like im defending myself and piling on so im done posting. Please leave the thread open so Mike can explain himself if he wants. Please keep it civil so they can keep the thread open. Thanks again for the support.

#85 6 years ago

And to think you almost paid MORE for it!

#86 6 years ago

The way I see it is that if GAP has any integrity and wants to keep a good reputation around here he needs to man up admit his poor work and buy this man a playfield that is in at least the same condition as what was sent to him.(repro would be better) I honestly cant believe that the guy doing the clear would even be willing to clear over that mess

#87 6 years ago

I did take this on as a free project and I did use several different paints which some were not water based and didn't know it would react with the clear. I did refund the money for the clear and more to have it sent off to get fixed. I am committed to making this right. I will talk to a few of the playfield restoration guys and see if they can fix it. Again, this is not the customers fault and I it will be addressed. Our intentions was not ruin the playield. Again I will reach out a couple professionals to have in fixed.

#88 6 years ago
    Quoted from ssbodyman:

I honestly cant believe that the guy doing the clear would even be willing to clear over that mess

Fact!

#89 6 years ago
    Quoted from GAP:

I did take this on as a free project and I did use several different paints which some were not water based and didn't know it would react with the clear. I did refund the money for the clear and more to have it sent off to get fixed. I am committed to making this right. I will talk to a few of the playfield restoration guys and see if they can fix it. Again, this is not the customers fault and I it will be addressed. Our intentions was not ruin the playield. Again I will reach out a couple professionals to have in fixed.

EXCELLENT!!!

#91 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

No, those are the worst touch ups in the world.

I have a better story of the HS I'm working on (Previous owner slabbed a paintbrush over the mylar)
    http://homebrewpinball.blogspot.com/2013/04/high-speed-project.html

#92 6 years ago
    Quoted from GAP:

Again, this is not the customers fault and I it will be addressed. Our intentions was not ruin the playield. Again I will reach out a couple professionals to have in fixed.

cant ask for a better reply....

#93 6 years ago
    Quoted from NJGecko:

Lots of folks have said "you get what you pay for, and it was free" here.
    Yes, that's normally true, but I need to point out that the work was done under the premise that GAP is a professional and he was looking for some work to work on touchups. If a car dealer is asking for candidates to hone their skills, you don't expect show quality, but you also expect professional work.

I totally agree and was not being heartless when I said "You get what you pay for." It just seems like these statement are true more often then not. "If it's too good to be true it probably is."

It sucks and I feel bad for The Pin Family, especially to wait 10 months for that.

#94 6 years ago
    Quoted from GAP:

That's how it should be done! Good Job.

#95 6 years ago
    Quoted from GAP:

#96 6 years ago
    Quoted from the_pin_family:

Can any of you honestly say if GAP made the same offer to you you would have turned it down.

I would not accept an offer like that for the exact reason of what you ended up with. I'm not trying to beat you up on this just consider it lesson learned. Now, you can sand the clear and do the proper touchups and fix the playfield. It won't be cheap though. That's all I'm trying to say. I've seen so many playfields butchered by bad, cheap, touchups that I just want to make sure everyone knows good touchup services are expensive and worth it. Of course like you mentioned earlier I wouldn't pay 1200 in touchups for a 1200 dollar game. But that's another subject.

#97 6 years ago

The main thing is that GAP came through like a champ and will fix the problem. Now it's between the two of them.

#98 6 years ago

Sucks this was started 10 months ago, CPR is getting close to the reproductions for half the cost. I know some people want "original original", but in my opinion if it's touched up it's still not original.

#99 6 years ago

Nice Gap!

#100 6 years ago
    Quoted from lowepg:

cant ask for a better reply.

No you cant but the better thing to do would have been to tell the pin fam that he fu--ed up before sending it back and trying to charge him $350 I mean $250 . This says a lot about GAP and his business. I am a small businessman and I know that sometimes things dont go as planed but I know that my customers are usually a lot more forgiving when I am upfront about the fact that I made a mistake and I want to take care of it. If you screw up and hope they dont notice or care it will always hurt you and your business through loss of repeate customers and word of mouth. Just my 2cs

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 15.00
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 49.00
    $ 65.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Texas Pinball
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 64.00
    $ 209.99
    $ 209.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 399.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Top-Notch Target Shields
    $ 249.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 29.95
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 58.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 34.95
    Playfield - Other
    Hookedonpinball.com
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    $ 34.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 5,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Ghostbusters Pro Out of stock
    Operation Pinball
    $ 235.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 99.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    There are 134 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

This topic is closed.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside