Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by EMsInKC
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3738 (resized).jpg
    #1 1 year ago

This will be my first time attempting applying touch up paint to a playfield. What are the steps to be taken to correct this area? DecoArt acrylic by brush, or Createx by airbrush?

IMG_3738 (resized).jpgIMG_3738 (resized).jpg
    #2 1 year ago

Are you trying to do a spot repair, or are you doing the whole playfield + clearcoat?

Do you have a vinyl cutter (Silhouette Cameo etc.) to cut paint mask?

#4 1 year ago

For that I would brush and and finger it (ha), then cover with Mylar.

#5 1 year ago

You can dilute an acrylic to help minimize brush marks, then spot clear.

#6 1 year ago

First make sure there's no wax on it. Acrylic paint as mentioned, then after dry, Krylon Colormaxx Satin clear. At least it works for me, the satin clear will match much closer to the rest of the playfield.

#7 1 year ago

I give it a good cleaning to get rid of old wax and dirt, then I use bondo to level it, then airbrush the whole circle so the color is uniform.

With a mylar plate over it and in a home use environment, you are good to go

Alberto

#8 1 year ago

All good info, thanks! I was concerned about using the DecoArt acrylic paint because of what I read on Vid's restoration page.

#9 1 year ago
    Quoted from Playdium:

I was concerned about using the DecoArt acrylic paint because of what I read on Vid's restoration page.

Don't be worried at all

#10 1 year ago

To mask off the black line, I use narrow Tamiya masking tape as it's easy to shape to the curve of the circle.

#11 1 year ago
    Quoted from Playdium:

All good info, thanks! I was concerned about using the DecoArt acrylic paint because of what I read on Vid's restoration page.

What exactly is supposed to be wrong with DecoArt paints? I have DecoArt touch-uos that still look good over 30 years later.

#12 1 year ago
    Quoted from Playdium:

Yeah, well, don't be.

#13 1 year ago
    Quoted from edednedy:

What exactly is supposed to be wrong with DecoArt paints? I have DecoArt touch-uos that still look good over 30 years later.

Just from what I've read on Vid's page. I will try the DecoArt paint as it looks easier to work with.

#14 1 year ago

The only problem I have with the acrylic paints, DecoArt or others, is that they change color so much between wet/dry and when you clear them. Makes color matching a beyotch.....um, excuse me, problematic.

#15 1 year ago

I exclusively use craft paints like Americana DecoArt and Michaels Craft Smart. I make a mix, paint a sample stripe of the mix on a wood craft stick (basically a tongue depressor or a popsicle stick), dry it for 60 seconds with a blow dryer on the “cool” setting, then compare against what I’m touching up. If not close enough, I add a drop or two of paint to try to improve the mix, and make a new sample stripe of paint next to the last sample and blow it dry on “cool” again, and see how that looks. Repeat until satisfied. This way you take into account color changes that occur while drying.

#16 1 year ago

Wolverine - do you notice any color change when clearing over the craft paints?

#17 1 year ago
    Quoted from paulace:

I clear with Minwax Polycrylic, and I haven’t noticed any color change.

#18 1 year ago

I wonder if it depends on the color... I cleared a Jungle Queen with Minwax Polycrylic, and the purple/pinks darkened significantly for me. I used One-Shot enamel paints on other parts of the pf and they didn't change color at all...but they're terribly expensive.

#19 1 year ago
    Quoted from paulace:

We clear with auto clear, and no color change at all.

#20 1 year ago

How do people get thru life without Deco Art Parchment!?!
    Best EM color ever.

#21 1 year ago

Acrylic paint always dries darker. If you put the paint on and it looks like a perfect match while wet... It's too dark.
    I always shoot for it to be a tad lighter.

After it dries, I've never seen any color change with DecoArt or Plaid paints when I clear coat with lacquer.

#22 1 year ago

Prior to applying paint, can acetone be used to remove any wax? I'll need to fill and level the area as well. Has anyone ever used the DecoArt clear coat for finishing?

#23 1 year ago

Acetone's pretty strong stuff - VM&P Naphtha will get the old wax off without hurting the existing paint.

#24 1 year ago

I'm concerned about the health hazard of naphtha. I already had kidney tumors from an unknown source.

#25 1 year ago

I know acetone is a pretty nasty carcinogen...but I'm sure breathing a bunch of either one isn't good for you. I wonder if mineral spirits would remove old wax? That seems to be a relatively safe product to work with. Maybe someone out there knows.

#26 1 year ago

I may just lightly sand the area that needs repainting. I need to level it anyway.

#27 1 year ago
    Quoted from paulace:

I know acetone is a pretty nasty carcinogen...but I'm sure breathing a bunch of either one isn't good for you. I wonder if mineral spirits would remove old wax? That seems to be a relatively safe product to work with. Maybe someone out there knows.

Use acetone and your playfield problems are over. You won't have one any longer.

Use naphtha

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-touch-up-3?hl=peruman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.