5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Homepin
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

Is it really 1/2" plywood that should be used? I know it's technically supposed to be 17/32" but that's hard to find.

I accidentally bought a sheet of 3/4" plywood because I ended up confusing myself in the store when I saw the 1/2" and thought it was way too thin looking. The 3/4" is in reality only 11/16". Getting 1/2" would similarly be thinner.

I was told to use 1/2" screws, but even with the thickness of the plates on mechs that's going to be awfully close to all the way through and I'll have to be very careful drilling pilot holes. Should something shorter be used?

#2 5 years ago

half inch screws are fine. I guess something like 7/16 would be better but then you've got to find them.

You don't want to go any thicker than 1/2, or a lot of the stock mechs won't work.

I purchased some 'cabinet grade' 1/2" plywood from Lowes. My calipers put it at 0.48" thick. Without a source of 17/32 and a sander to bring it down to 0.5" I think that's your best bet (and my JD for instance still only measures 0.49")

#3 5 years ago

Thanks, I'll have to bring my calipers with me next time I go. I did get lauan plywood from the hardwood section, it had more plys than the other hardwoods. Hopefully, the others are not short a full 1/16th of an inch. On the plus side, I suppose the artwork and finish will thicken it up some.

How are inserts handled than to get rid of the raised numbers? Just a much lighter sanding? Or pre-sanded?

#4 5 years ago

I sanded the top lightly to get rid of the numbers, then sanded the bottom to get them flush with the wood

#5 5 years ago

I've seen some pick up 5/8" baltic birch plywood that comes out closer to the real stuff (have not been able to find near me). I'm using 1/2" plywood and haven't had any issues with 1/2" screws poking through from below, but when mounting really thin stuff to the bottom I do have a supply of 7/16" screws as well. Any decent hardware store should have the 7/16", maybe even Lowes or HD. I think I did end up putting a thin washer spacer under my drop target mounts to get them to sit at the right height since the wood is thinner, easier to add spacers then take out wood.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-thickness and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.