4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by jackd104
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

I have started to embark on my first playfield swap and can’t help but to think about how some people say that repro playfields should be recleared before installing. I am not looking for a debate for or against reclearing a repro playfield but rather thoughts and observations from people who have swapped without doing anything extra to the playfield. How is it holding up after many plays?

#2 4 years ago

Edit: For my own machines, as delivered playfields, all have held up up ok with the use they’ve seen equally. My Getaway from Peter www.buthamburg.de has been holding up the best.

I know we talked in PM’s and I’ve shared here but having one re-clear TAF that has seen a good amount of play still looks great. Personally, unless it’s just a ho-hum game I’d recommend sending out if it’s truly your keeper game(s). Seeing stock and redone alone in person for two swaps was enough for me.

...but I’m particular so most may not even notice what the difference is.

#3 4 years ago

Been a while since I've installed them, but the following are the results: (No additional clearing)

Mirco AFM, it's fine. Might have some dimpling, but it's steel vs. wood, steel is going to win.
    Black Knight CPR, also fine.
    Flight 2000 CPR, fine
    Firepower, CPR rescreen of original, fine
    Doctor Who, WMS original, fine

Now, these were all swaps from years ago (probably 2013 would be the latest). so, if something has changed in their clear formulas since then, ignore my results since they wouldn't be valid.

All of them are holding up the same as or better than original clear (the doctor who still looks great, as well)

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from slochar:

Been a while since I've installed them, but the following are the results: (No additional clearing)
    Mirco AFM, it's fine. Might have some dimpling, but it's steel vs. wood, steel is going to win.

For a Mirco yes this is normal and expected. For a Kruzman clear job dimpling is not normal. In fact it's non existent.

#5 4 years ago

Forgive me but I’m unfamiliar with playfield swaps etc. why is it necessary to reclear a new playfield? Do they not come with a good enough quality clear coat in the first place? And if so that don’t seem right.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-swappers-thoughts-wanted and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.