Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180108_191817_resized (resized).jpg
20180108_191801_resized (resized).jpg
20180108_191744_resized (resized).jpg
20180108_191734_resized (resized).jpg
20170706_161958 (resized).jpg
20170706_112157 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dante.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

So I've been in the process of swapping my Whirlwind playfield for the last 3+ years and with the recent weather, I've finally committed. I have torn down the old PF and am in the process of cleaning, rebuilding mechs, etc. As for the new PF, I am in the process of re-drilling all of the holes and installing the new T-Nuts on the new PF.

So my question is once I am ready - is it better to populate the top first? Or is it better to populate the bottom first?

I'd think it would be better to do the bottom first to ensure switch/mech alignment, but I have seen other restorations where they have done the top first.

Anyways, any advice or lessons learned would be greatly appreciated as this is my first PF swap and I have a very nice HSA playfield that I'd prefer not to screw up

#5 6 years ago

Awesome, thanks for the responses.

My next step is to get some tracing paper to map the original dimples and verify the new PF dimples. Then I will start with the underside as I too do not have a rotisserie yet.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from Travish:

Sometimes dimples are off a bit. Put things where they need to be and don't sweat the dimples so much. I see you are in Cary. You can use my rotisserie if you need.

Thanks Travish! I'm traveling until late next week - so let me get back home and assess if I think I will need it.

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from APOLLO_13:

take pictures, a lot of them lol also youtube is a great resource,

Yes, you are so correct on this.

Unfortunately I don't think I have enough pictures. I actually started this about 3 or 4 years ago and took a lot of "general pictures", but I kept on procrastinating on doing it and everything just sat in boxes waiting for me to commit. Now years later, I don't really remember my disassembly and I didn't take any notes or detailed pictures of the wires at xyz location.

In the years since, I have learned how to properly take pictures for a tear down.

With my MB and TOTAN, both were filthy and I learned to take 3 pictures for every step (what it looks like, taking it off, what it looks like after). It's a lot of pictures, but when it came to reassembly - it was extremely easy. With my WW, I don't have that, so I've been grabbing pictures from other members and downloading HEP's pictures to help as reference.

Hopefully I can get this back together - otherwise I may have to bite the bullet and have one of the pro's finish it for me.

#15 6 years ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whirlwind-face-lift -Here is my original thread of redoing the cab

Here are some picts of where I'm at.......

20180108_191734_resized (resized).jpg20180108_191734_resized (resized).jpg

20180108_191744_resized (resized).jpg20180108_191744_resized (resized).jpg

20180108_191801_resized (resized).jpg20180108_191801_resized (resized).jpg

20180108_191817_resized (resized).jpg20180108_191817_resized (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 90.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

4,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greenwood, IN
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dante.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-swap-question-1?tu=dante and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.