Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by APOLLO_13
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20180108_191817_resized (resized).jpg
20180108_191801_resized (resized).jpg
20180108_191744_resized (resized).jpg
20180108_191734_resized (resized).jpg
20170706_161958 (resized).jpg
20170706_112157 (resized).jpg

#1 1 year ago

So I've been in the process of swapping my Whirlwind playfield for the last 3+ years and with the recent weather, I've finally committed. I have torn down the old PF and am in the process of cleaning, rebuilding mechs, etc. As for the new PF, I am in the process of re-drilling all of the holes and installing the new T-Nuts on the new PF.

So my question is once I am ready - is it better to populate the top first? Or is it better to populate the bottom first?

I'd think it would be better to do the bottom first to ensure switch/mech alignment, but I have seen other restorations where they have done the top first.

Anyways, any advice or lessons learned would be greatly appreciated as this is my first PF swap and I have a very nice HSA playfield that I'd prefer not to screw up

#2 1 year ago

I did bottom first. Mostly because I don’t have a rotisserie and I needed the topside flat so I could lay it across sawhorses while doing the bottom. After the bottom was done, I put the playfield back in the machine and did the topside with the playfield in the service position. ...my System 11 didn’t have a service position, but propping the playfield up a bit with a deck of playing cards on each side between the bracket and the lock down bar accomplished pretty much the same thing and made it pretty level.

#3 1 year ago

I'd do the reverse of how you took it apart. Personally, I tear down as much of the top as I can, flip over, remove all the mechs, loosen anything I need to complete the top. Remove wiring harness. Polish everything and install in reverse.

No matter what I'd get those wiring harnesses in first. Good luck!

#4 1 year ago

Agree with all the advice above. Do it in reverse of how you took it apart. Reinstall the bottom and then populate the top.

#5 1 year ago

Awesome, thanks for the responses.

My next step is to get some tracing paper to map the original dimples and verify the new PF dimples. Then I will start with the underside as I too do not have a rotisserie yet.

#6 1 year ago

Sometimes dimples are off a bit. Put things where they need to be and don't sweat the dimples so much. I see you are in Cary. You can use my rotisserie if you need.

#7 1 year ago

I just laid both my pf's down on a flat surface, side by side and moved everything across. Also, you can NEVER have enough PICTURES... the gallery here helped me with the top of my games pf but there are no pictures of the bottom... take pictures, a lot of them lol also youtube is a great resource,

good luck, lets see some pics

#8 1 year ago

Do the bottom first and install it back inside the cabinet. You can connect now the cable harnesses and do a check of all switches and lights BEFORE you install the top side. It's much easier in this situation to handle with "bugs".

#9 1 year ago

I install the wood trim around the playfield first so when you do the under side first the playfield is not touching anything .After that lay both playfield on top of two pinballs and stand between the 2 pins to swap parts. I start by swapping everything that does'nt have a wire . Having new or good used light sockets helps. Then i do light sockets , braided wire and soldered , any wire that is not on harness . When i remove wire from old playfield i'll identify some stuff , the light i'll remove with the braided wire (it gives me a map of where everything goes).

Good luck

Denis

#10 1 year ago

20170706_112157 (resized).jpg

20170706_161958 (resized).jpg

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from Travish:

Sometimes dimples are off a bit. Put things where they need to be and don't sweat the dimples so much. I see you are in Cary. You can use my rotisserie if you need.

Thanks Travish! I'm traveling until late next week - so let me get back home and assess if I think I will need it.

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from APOLLO_13:

take pictures, a lot of them lol also youtube is a great resource,

Yes, you are so correct on this.

Unfortunately I don't think I have enough pictures. I actually started this about 3 or 4 years ago and took a lot of "general pictures", but I kept on procrastinating on doing it and everything just sat in boxes waiting for me to commit. Now years later, I don't really remember my disassembly and I didn't take any notes or detailed pictures of the wires at xyz location.

In the years since, I have learned how to properly take pictures for a tear down.

With my MB and TOTAN, both were filthy and I learned to take 3 pictures for every step (what it looks like, taking it off, what it looks like after). It's a lot of pictures, but when it came to reassembly - it was extremely easy. With my WW, I don't have that, so I've been grabbing pictures from other members and downloading HEP's pictures to help as reference.

Hopefully I can get this back together - otherwise I may have to bite the bullet and have one of the pro's finish it for me.

#14 1 year ago
Quoted from Dante:

Yes, you are so correct on this.
Unfortunately I don't think I have enough pictures. I actually started this about 3 or 4 years ago and took a lot of "general pictures", but I kept on procrastinating on doing it and everything just sat in boxes waiting for me to commit. Now years later, I don't really remember my disassembly and I didn't take any notes or detailed pictures of the wires at xyz location.
In the years since, I have learned how to properly take pictures for a tear down.
With my MB and TOTAN, both were filthy and I learned to take 3 pictures for every step (what it looks like, taking it off, what it looks like after). It's a lot of pictures, but when it came to reassembly - it was extremely easy. With my WW, I don't have that, so I've been grabbing pictures from other members and downloading HEP's pictures to help as reference.
Hopefully I can get this back together - otherwise I may have to bite the bullet and have one of the pro's finish it for me.

A rotisserie makes it so much easier. My first couple I took a million picture. Last couple I only took a thousand. I actually had to look back at 2.

#15 1 year ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whirlwind-face-lift -Here is my original thread of redoing the cab

Here are some picts of where I'm at.......

20180108_191734_resized (resized).jpg

20180108_191744_resized (resized).jpg

20180108_191801_resized (resized).jpg

20180108_191817_resized (resized).jpg

#16 1 year ago

everything looks nice except that harness in a box lol, so is the last photo where your at now? if so, nice work... if not then, sorry for the confusion on my previous post... thought everything was still on the bottom of the original and then you could just lay them side by side and move from one to the other. If you had that like that for 3 years and now have it back together, that's awesome work going to be sweet when a ball is rolling around on it again and the wind is blowing in your hair
just looked at your other post... really nice work.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 839.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside