Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by BorisSWort
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

I swapped out the playfield for my Eight Ball deluxe (and replaced all of the light sockets), but now only a few things light up or work. I am sure there are shorts and other problems. I had a lot of trouble with the ground wire breaking when removing it from the old playfield, and I was not always sure how it was wired. Yes, I did take a lot of photos, but I seem to have missed the important areas, or I just can't tell where the wire went. (This playfield swap was way above my ability.) Would a guy who fixes pinball machines for a living be able to get this fixed? Is there a way for him to check for shorts, etc? Or, does anyone ever part out a machine? If so, I could buy the wired playfield, and then compare it to mine and maybe see my problems.

#2 10 years ago

Where are you located? If it were close to GA I could help you out since I have an EBD.
Bob

#3 10 years ago

I live near Seattle.

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from Big_Bob:

Where are you located? If it were close to GA I could help you out since I have an EBD.
Bob

Hopefully not for long

#5 10 years ago

So, do you think someone who knows what they are doing can ever get my machine going again? It has been almost three years since I started the project, and my wife won't let me buy another machine until I get this one going again.

Also, the roll over switch fell apart when moving the pieces from the old playfield to the new. Does anyone sell new rollover switches that would work?

#6 10 years ago

PBR and perhaps pinballlife have them.

#7 10 years ago

Q: the GI lights are not working, or the CPU controlled lamps?
Q: the game boots, yes?

#8 10 years ago

The scoreboard lights all work. The bumpers flash. All but one of the targets work when I press the test button. None of the playfield ball lights work.

Does PBR stand for Pinball Resource? If so, they said they did not carry the rollover switch for the Eight Ball Deluxe. Although that guy does not seem to like me because I never know what I am talking about when I call him. You don't have a part number for that do you?

#9 10 years ago

Steve just has a way about him. He is a great guy, just been in this a long time and does things the old school way. You might be able to find those part numbers through the Planetary Pinball site and their searchable catalogs.

#10 10 years ago

If you were close, I would help you at no charge. Check out the hi res pics at the link below, maybe they will help.

http://christopherhutchins.com/gallery/album386?page=6

#11 10 years ago

I just PM'd you a present boris .. hope it helps... perhaps take pics of the areas you arent sure are right and someone not local can compare them to a working machine.
Also make double sure the plugs on the lamp board arent off by one pin.

#12 10 years ago

I like those photos, they might help me on some of the bulbs that stick out of the playfield. Are the ball lights like they are on a 1984 machine? Can I retrofit my 1980 machine with those light modules?

I replaced the ground wire on my machine with a green coated wire. That is okay isn't it? I just had too much trouble stapling the original ground wire, and I broke the original in many different places.

I have a copy of the original manual, but that does not have a wiring diagram of the underside of the playfield. Does one exist?

#13 10 years ago

no there is no diagram.. you might have to resort to buying a badly worn second machine to copy if you think you have it entirely wrong.

for future reference you can get a good approximation of the proper wire here. http://www.pinrestore.com/Supplies.html

#14 10 years ago

I have been looking for another machine I can buy to compare mine too. So far I have only found one on the other side of the country. It is a Limited Edition for $900. Are the playfields the same in the Limited Edition and the 1981 version? I have tried to find a machine closer to home, but there is another person on craigslist in my area looking for an Eight Ball Deluxe. The ones on eBay are too expensive right now. Would shipping a pinball machine across the country be too expensive? Are Limited Edition models harder to sell? I would assume once I get my machine up and running again, I will resell whatever machine I buy.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Electronics

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-swap-problems-eight-ball-deluxe and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.