• Latest reply 14 years ago by jar155
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCF0209.JPG
#1 14 years ago

I shelved the Spiderman refurb for now and stored it at my brother-in-laws. I am going to do the Phoenix playfield swap on my almost month long vacation. If anyone has ever done this extensive kind of thing please post your suggestions etc.

I'm including a pic of the machine and the playfield I want to put in it. Thanks for any help/suggestions.

DSCF0209.JPGDSCF0209.JPG

#2 14 years ago

I am in between classes so I only have a moment.... Yet holy-shnipee that is going to look great when it is done!!!!

#3 14 years ago

Is the original playfield worn or otherwise damaged?

On the replacement playfield, with all the hardware removed gives you a great opportunity to put a hard wearing, long lasting finish on it. What were you planning to do in that regard?

Once the playfield is prepped, I guess it's just a matter of systematically moving all the parts from the original to the replacement. Assembly is the reverse of disassembly, as they say in the automotive workshop manual.

Finally, once you've got this phoenix resurrected, the Spiderman game will become a phoenix of sorts itself, if you can get it restored. So good training!

#4 14 years ago

Yep that's gonna look sweet, I like to take pictures to help me dissasemble/reassemble parts. If you need them and haven't already got them you could get new posts and lane guides, bumper caps, target and spinner decals, maybe experiment with different colours. Polish up like mad on every metal part, maybe get new nuts,bolts and screws for the parts that show. Take you time and enjoy, happy holidays.

#5 14 years ago

Yes plugger the playfield that is in it now is VERY worn. See those wings on the bird ? Those are completely worn away on the existing surface. Not to mention many other worn areas. I got that replacement playfield for $15 from a guy who found it in an abandoned NJ warehouse he was being paid to clean up and empty out. It will be cleaned and polished before I start. It isn't yet.

Functionally the machine is working perfectly. I already tackled all the circuit board and playfield component problems.

#6 14 years ago

I saw that game going for $800 on craigslist in N.J.
and I think also on ebay -but not sure what it sold for.
strange how you dont see a pin for years and all of a sudden they pop up everywhere.

#7 14 years ago

I paid $150 for the machine (plus a tiny delivery bonus) and probably spent that fixing it's problems. I wish I could find a better backglass that's more perfect. It's a slower older classic machine but that means it's relaxing to play when you get tired of all the glitz of the newer ones and don't want to think about what goal has to be accomplished next. Heck .. I got a nice marble/ivory inlaid pool/billiards cue with it as it was inside the cabinet in a rotting leather case. I guess it was being used to prop up the playfield as the bar is missing.

You can also restart the game at any time unlike the newer ones. So if you didn't do well on ball one it's no problem.

#8 14 years ago

With the older machines its kind of like hot rodding an old V8.
tricks we all use in getting our games to play faster n faster like MAX- PERFORMANCE !,
and some tricks wont even cost you a dime-

#9 14 years ago

Rob Craig's Life After Death 2 video shows him doing a playfield swap on a Bride of Pinbot. He shows some excellent tips for staying organized and making a playfield swap pretty easy to do.

Check it out, it's a GREAT video even if you're not doing a swap. If you are, it's pretty valuable info.

http://www.popbumper.com/popvideo.html

You may be able to find the video a little cheaper from some of the online retailers, but this is direct from Rob.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-swap-out-advice and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.