Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Q Relay (resized).png
ACD (resized).png
#1 3 years ago

Looking for some advise. I recently did a playfield swap on my Abra Ca Dabra. Before I did the swap, everything was running perfect. I had no issues with the swap. I used the same screws etc... My issue is, as soon as I load the ball, it keeps scoring 5,000. Here is what I've check: every switch to see if it is grounding out. The tabs on the switch making sure they are not touching. I've checked the ground wire to see there are any issues. I've touched everything switch on the playfield and in the drop targets to see if they stuck somewhere. All this checks out. Ive had the game on and while it is scoring 500, I started unsoldering switch by switch, but still couldn't find the problem (I have to admit, I gave up on unsoldering ALL the switches). Any other suggestions on things to try? Thank you for any ideas.

#2 3 years ago

How many switches score 5000 points? Look closely at those switches - put a small piece of paper between the contacts or slip a piece of shrink tubing over one of the contacts for each of those switches. If that doesn't clear it, look closely at the wiring loom to make sure you did not run a staple thru one of the wires.

#3 3 years ago

On most other games, the first suspect would be the 5000-point relay. Abra Ca Dabra, however, does not have one of those.

Here’s the first step in isolating the problem: you need to find out what is running the score motor, which is the only way 5,000 points can be scored continuously. Here are the relays that can run the score motor: E, G, C, D, S, W, AX, score motor 1C. Not all are likely culprits, especially not the last one on the score motor. My hunch is it’s E or G. Anyhow, let us know which of these is engaged while the 5,000 points are scoring non-stop.

#4 3 years ago

Ok. Thank you, I will report back. I also want to look at my ground wire again....maybe I stapled the wrong wire at some spot

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from bicyclenut:

Ok. Thank you, I will report back. I also want to look at my ground wire again....maybe I stapled the wrong wire at some spot

That braid is only used by the light circuit, so it’s unlikely to be a factor in the issue you are experiencing.

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from leckmeck:

That braid is only used by the light circuit, so it’s unlikely to be a factor in the issue you are experiencing.

right! I just realized that. I also just re-read what I wrote and I ment to say its scoring 500 points NOT 5000

#7 3 years ago

G is the 500-point relay and there are a lot of switches that can engage it. I highlighted G’s circuit on this excerpt from the schematic.

ACD (resized).pngACD (resized).png
#8 3 years ago

Thank you for this. I looked it up on the schematic. Today I pulled out every switch today and verified northing is touching. I also checked that the drop target switches were not touching. I also looked over the switch bank that controls the rollover advances. Light ground wire checks out ok.

#9 3 years ago

It’s a given that the G relay is engaged when the game is scoring 500 points continuously, but is the Q relay also engaged? It’s a series relay involved in tripping the 1-4 sequence via a smaller concentration of switches. It also makes G engage to score 500 points. If Q is engaging, it will help you isolate your problem to just eight switches.

Any observation of other relays engaging when the score motor is turning would be helpful. Are you hearing a buzzing sound from any relays? You should definitely hear a buzzing if Q is engaged, because one of the trips on the sequence bank will be constantly pulling, which is very noisy.

Q Relay (resized).pngQ Relay (resized).png
#10 3 years ago
Quoted from leckmeck:

but is the Q relay also engaged?

Hmmm good question. Let me look at it. Ill report back later today Thank you

#11 3 years ago

Q relay is NOT engaging.
G relay is working and the score motor. Thats all that is moving

#12 3 years ago

Now that you’ve ruled out the Q relay from engaging, let’s rule out one other thing on this relay: one of its two switches engages the G relay, so you want to look at the switch that is normally open. Make sure it is not gapped too closely. Its contacts could be touching, which would explain what is happening.

#13 3 years ago

Found it! It was one of the tension blades in the switch stack of the right drop target bank. It was bent ever so slightly that it was touching the blade underneath it. Thanks for all the help.

#14 3 years ago

Lastly, Im just having an issue with the drop targets resetting. Im confident its a switch issue. I jumpers from the replay on the bottom and it works that way, but not from when all the targets are down....Ill spend some time locating it tonight.

#15 3 years ago

got it all dialed in. Plays so good

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Downingtown, PA
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

2,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Barnstable, MA
$ 12.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-swap-now-has-a-stuck-switch and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.