(Topic ID: 75457)

Playfield Swap Northern VA, have questions.

By jjoravec

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Skins
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-690.jpg
dee7025c.jpg
SS1.jpeg
#1 10 years ago

I am looking to take on my first playfield swap and was looking to see if there are others in the Northern VA area that may have gone through the process that could offer some guidance.

Thanks

#2 10 years ago

never done one but look forward to hearing updates as to how it goes. What game are you doing?

#4 10 years ago

My first will be a Space Shuttle, got a new CPR playfield and CPR backglass for it.

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from jjoravec:

My first will be a Space Shuttle, got a new CPR playfield and CPR backglass for it.

That was my first and only so far as well. It is a good one to start with. Trust me I made some mistakes but it was an awesome learning experience. I took my time with it and didn't burn myself out. Feel free to PM me for any pointers and I'll give you my number.

SS1.jpegSS1.jpeg
#6 10 years ago

I tore my TZ down for touch-ups and clearcoat a few years ago. Basically, I took lots of pictures and marked coils and swiches using a label maker. If you have enough space, it is much easier than trying to cram all the parts into a tiny area. If there's anything I can do to help, just let me know. I'm about 20 minutes from Centreville.

#7 10 years ago

Never done a full swap but every game I get gets a full top-side teardown and removal of all not-permanently-attached things on the bottom side for cleaning. Older games are definitely easier. Like herg said if you have space to lay everything out on a big table or something it will make it a lot easier to get everything back together when the time comes. I'm also happy to help if there's anything you'd like help with. I like to tinker

#8 10 years ago

You should be aware that Ed Cheung lives in Bowie MD and he as done a Space Shuttle already. More over, he was the one that did the art work for CPR's reproduction playfield. Below is a link to his website.

http://www.edcheung.com/album/album06/Pinball/pinball.htm

After meeting with Ed several times over the years, I can honestly say that he is one of the most impressive individuals I have ever met.

#9 10 years ago

Planning the same thing for TFTC in a few months. Take more pictures than what you may need, take your time, and have fun. Good luck!

#10 10 years ago

had to get into this VA pinball thread.
I'm mired in a DW restore that seems to have hit a brick wall. UGH.
Forgot my own advice of working on the game daily no matter how minute the progress.
I've done six swaps at this point and the above is my best advice outside of taking too many pics and take your time to clean everything before putting it back on.

heres a pic of my SC swap…brutal swap.

dee7025c.jpgdee7025c.jpg
#11 10 years ago

Just finished swapping my MB playfield. Happy to report the everything worked perfectly when powered on. Get/make a rotisserie. Can't imagine doing it without one.

image-690.jpgimage-690.jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-swap-northern-va-have-questions and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.