Topic Stats

• 137 posts
  • 50 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by rwredmon
  • Topic is favorited by 357 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_9413 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9417 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_5609.jpg
    IMG_9282 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9636 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7611 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7575 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7582 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7583 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7451 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7579 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7310 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7315 (resized).jpeg
    Pop Bumpers (resized).JPG
    braid-ouch (resized).jpg
    20220115_224232.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider brianbannon.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#36 8 years ago
    Quoted from mof:

2. Molex and remove all solenoid components
    Doing this allows you to isolate all these components for easy cleaning, tumbling, and adjusting in the future.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/high-speed-restoration/page/5#post-2132832

First of all, thanks for doing the work to put this guide together. I could have used this info way back when. Excellent way of organizing the information, too.

I think molexing assemblies is nice but in the long run probably overkill. IIRC, in 26 playfield swaps I have had to repair one assembly after the swap, and that was a drop target coil so I had to desolder it anyway. This is over a 12 year period. There just aren't a whole lot of things that have to be reworked again to the point of removing an assembly. Most people just don't put enough plays on a game in home use to wear anything out. If you like working on connectors, there will be plenty of other original connectors that will need to be repinned during the playfield swap, you can be sure of that. To me, this additional step just seems like a personal preference, time available thing.

One more thought, don't forget that each new connection creates a possible failure point.

6 years later
    #78 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

I had a "perfect storm" of things happen on my first pf swap this past year, valuable lessons for the next few I have on tap that I want to share -
    I bought a set of the Harbor Freight drill bit depth stops that tighten onto the drill bits so you can't over-drill through anything, and proceeded to happily drill all the dimpled holes on the bottom of my CPR Evel Knievel pf. This was fine for the lamp sockets, you can see how far the hole is from the insert and would know if something looked amiss, but once I went to attach the flipper assembly mounting plates, the 4 holes didn't match up.

Why bother predrilling the bottom of the playfield? I certainly understand drilling holes on the topside and do that on my own swaps, but underneath? Unless you are seeing some splintering it seems unnecessary to me. Make sure the dimpled holes are marked well, use a good driver and it shouldn't be a problem.

#83 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

I have a good driver but the screws were going in way too tight, stripped a couple, even had one snap when trying to remove it. Still plenty of material left for a screw to bite into after pre drilling.
    I may try it again on my next swap though, got a few in line. At least for the assemblies.

Maybe dial the torque down a bit on your driver? Especially if some are stripping out on you. Do you use the old screws or replace them with a hex head screw? IIRC, EK uses Phillips heads on most if not all of the underside stuff. Did a swap on my EK back in 2004 with an original NOS playfield, so it has been awhile. I replace the old screws with new hex head stuff whenever I can these days.

You could try running the screw in nearly all the way and finishing with a nut driver or screwdriver by hand. I understand that it will take more time that way.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider brianbannon.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-swap-guide?tu=brianbannon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.