Topic Stats

• 137 posts
  • 50 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by rwredmon
  • Topic is favorited by 357 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_9413 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9417 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_5609.jpg
    IMG_9282 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9636 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7611 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7575 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7582 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7583 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7451 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7579 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7310 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7315 (resized).jpeg
    Pop Bumpers (resized).JPG
    braid-ouch (resized).jpg
    20220115_224232.jpg
    There are 137 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

[quoted image]

Not that far off... Turn the base 1/4 of a turn.
    Pop bumper screw holes line up.
    Pop bumper lamp holes are offset... = normal.

#102 2 years ago
    Quoted from vec-tor:

Not that far off... Turn the base 1/4 of a turn.
    Pop bumper screw holes line up.
    Pop bumper lamp holes are offset... = normal.

Hmm...machine screws have to go in those holes...there's no room for them

20220115_133745.jpg20220115_133745.jpg
    #103 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Doing a Flash Gordon now and the bumper holes are way fucking off...its weird.
    I'm used to a little off here and there but dsmn dog.

I had to redrill several of the bumper holes too, including the ones for the diagonal bracket/plate that goes underneath it.

Next time I'm not pre-drilling anything but lamp sockets that are right next to the inserts.

pop (resized).jpgpop (resized).jpg
    #104 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

[quoted image]

Ooof
    Edit: perhaps not?

#105 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Hmm...machine screws have to go in those holes...there's no room for them [quoted image]

Your base plate is 1/4 of a turn off!
    Look at the inside of the pop bumper body, please.

#106 2 years ago

Attach your plastic base to the plastic body...
    then position the assembly on the playfield.

#107 2 years ago

I think I figured it out...I rotated the thing 1/4 turn and it 'fixed it'

Thanks vec-tor. typical me, going for the wrong hole

#108 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I think I figured it out...I rotated the thing 1/4 turn and it 'fixed it'
    Thanks vec-tor. typical me, going for the wrong hole

#109 2 years ago

FYI it still wasn't perfect but this helps

20220115_224232.jpg20220115_224232.jpg
    #110 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

FYI it still wasn't perfect but this helps[quoted image]

One has to remember that the lamp socket helps snug down the opposing sides to help
    hold down the pop bumper body.

1 week later
    #111 2 years ago

A new step I have added to the process. I layout the old plastics and new plastics, if any, on the new playfield to check the dimples before I do anything else to the new playfield. It's so much easier to check hole and dimple placement with no rails or other components in the way.

9 months later
    #112 1 year ago

What is the preferred PF rotisserie?

#113 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pin_Fandango:What is the preferred PF rotisserie?

There's a thread here for a DIY rotisserie. SkyPilot maybe is the member who posted it.

Otherwise, there's another member in the Marketplace who sells a great one. I have both and they each have their own good and bad. Honestly, though, having 2 is where it's at.

#114 1 year ago
    Quoted from guitarded:

There's a thread here for a DIY rotisserie. SkyPilot maybe is the member who posted it.
    Otherwise, there's another member in the Marketplace who sells a great one. I have both and they each have their own good and bad. Honestly, though, having 2 is where it's at.

Thank you.
    I have a LW3 to restore and just planning ahead.

I have seen the one in the marketplace that has 3 trim levels depending on finishing.
    Is that the one?

I dont want to use a table to stand it up. Wondering if there is anything else that is self contained, that brings it up to working height without a table.

Like a collapsible cloths dryer, you know one of those things our moms used to use back in the 80s-90s lol maybe even before too

#115 1 year ago

Then building this one is probably your best option.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sky-pilots-rotisserie-plans/page/3#post-4435799

I use this one for the original, put a table next to it and deal with cleaning and mech rebuilding. Then I box that stuff up and set up the Table-Top Model you mentioned and mount the New PF to begin prep.

At this point the old PF becomes a defacto table / workspace and reference.

#116 1 year ago
    Quoted from guitarded:

Then building this one is probably your best option.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sky-pilots-rotisserie-plans/page/3#post-4435799
    I use this one for the original, put a table next to it and deal with cleaning and mech rebuilding. Then I box that stuff up and set up the Table-Top Model you mentioned and mount the New PF to begin prep.
    At this point the old PF becomes a defacto table / workspace and reference.

Great, thanks for sharing this!!

#117 1 year ago

I got these a few years ago, they work well. Currently they aren’t available, however there might be other options worthwhile looking at.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BLPBSXG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00

See this related thread

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-rotisserie-bicycle-stand#post-6635782

1 month later
    #118 1 year ago

I saw this video of a guy doing a playfield swap.

In this video he recommended preparing the bottom of the playfield by spraying it with Semi-Gloss clear coat in a can. The idea is to this will make it easier to keep the bottom of the playfield clean.

Does anyone really do this, or is it recommended?

Thanks.

#119 1 year ago
    Quoted from rdrapeau3171:

In this video he recommended preparing the bottom of the playfield by spraying it with Semi-Gloss clear coat in a can. The idea is to this will make it easier to keep the bottom of the playfield clean.
    Thanks.

I did that when I swapped my beaten up Meteor playfield with a new CPR. Very easy to do, only took a few minutes to protect the underside of the inserts and a few more minutes to put on a couple of coats of rattle can clear. Surface is much smoother now.....this was last year and it really hasn't accumulated enough dirt/coil dust to be noticeable, but it does feel like it'll wipe up easier if/when that time comes.

I do the same thing to the interior bottom of any cabinets I'm re-stenciling / painting.

#120 1 year ago

Thanks.

I’ve never done it and it’s never made a difference.

No offense to the guy doing the video but he needs to learn how to spray with a can.

#121 1 year ago

Thanks.

My goodness. The random application is awful.

4 months later
    #122 11 months ago

Added section B5, "widening holes"
    Updated section C2 with more practice ideas for using your tapered reamer ahead of time

1 week later
    #123 10 months ago

So... I had my High Speed out at various friends' homes over the years for proper babysitting, as I progressively fell more in love with 1980-1981 over system 11s over the years...

I just got my High Speed back. Q47 is socketed. It shorted while I was game testing. I replaced it. I found one babysitter had put a fuse breaker on solenoids. Hmmm...

This game does not yet have the great "solenoid saver board" installed on it to know which of the solenoids is causing the issue, even though we all know pops are most likely.

So after Q47 blew, I talked with a friend who said he just hunted down a short to his pops that was blowing solenoids and he recommended to check the vdc on each pop housing and make sure none were hot...

Wouldn't you know it. Every solenoid housing on the machine was roughly .6vdc, other than the center pop resting between 3.8 and 4.4 vdc. Sticking out like a sore thumb!

USER ERROR. I had left a little too much braid on my first ever swap!!!

So it's time to add a blurb in the swap guide on checking all your solenoid housings for vdc after the rebuild! The rest of my components are all coming in at about .6 to .8, this one was up at 3.8 to 4.4... odd man out.
    braid-ouch (resized).jpgbraid-ouch (resized).jpg

#124 10 months ago

Reformatting guide to explicitly have a section for "testing" when you are done.

#125 10 months ago
    Quoted from mof:

USER ERROR. I had left a little too much braid on my first ever swap!!!

It looks like you were using 1/4” grounding braid for the GI bus?

These days I either use the 18 AWG wire like they used on old Sterns for the bus, or just use standard insulated wire. On a restored playfield, if the old braid is OK I’ll just re-use it, but that’s unusual, most times it’s badly frayed somewhere along the line. Insulated wire is nice because it all but rules out shorting.

That said, I like the idea of adding a “post swap testing” section to this guide. Anyone who has done this knows the frustration of wanting to just fire up and play a game but having to do a bunch of troubleshooting before that can happen. A guide to the common problems is a great idea.

#126 10 months ago

I actually like using flat braid for the GI bus, but I use 1/8"

Pop Bumpers (resized).JPGPop Bumpers (resized).JPG
    5 months later
    #127 5 months ago

Wrong thread

#128 5 months ago

I just used this technique to install my T-nuts highly recommend! Over 50 installed, took 2 hours.

#129 5 months ago

Playfield swap complete. Took me 5 1/2 days. First swap I have completed in 23 years. Thanks to this informative thread it was a lot easier this time! That is a ton of work and especially if you’re a rookie like me. Thanks again!

IMG_7310 (resized).jpegIMG_7310 (resized).jpegIMG_7315 (resized).jpegIMG_7315 (resized).jpegIMG_7451 (resized).jpegIMG_7451 (resized).jpegIMG_7575 (resized).jpegIMG_7575 (resized).jpegIMG_7579 (resized).jpegIMG_7579 (resized).jpegIMG_7582 (resized).jpegIMG_7582 (resized).jpegIMG_7583 (resized).jpegIMG_7583 (resized).jpegIMG_7611 (resized).jpegIMG_7611 (resized).jpeg
    #130 5 months ago
    Quoted from Sheev_Palpatine:

Playfield swap complete. Took me 5 1/2 days. First swap I have completed in 23 years. Thanks to this informative thread it was a lot easier this time! That is a ton of work and especially if you’re a rookie like me. Thanks again!

We have a Winner!
    Congrats!

#131 5 months ago

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I gotta ask since your original playfield looked to be in pretty decent shape, what was the driver to do a swap with a new playfield? I have a couple of pins that I am on the fence on swapping their playfields, so interested in your decision to swap. Thx

#132 5 months ago
    Quoted from RickyBobby1:

I gotta ask since your original playfield looked to be in pretty decent shape, what was the driver to do a swap with a new playfield? I have a couple of pins that I am on the fence on swapping their playfields, so interested in your decision to swap. Thx

When I purchased the pin the wear spots on the the playfield were minimal in the pics provided from the sale. I was going to try and touch it up. So I started to follow VID’s thread. Then when I actually got the machine here I had not noticed someone had stuck Mylar over that and other wear spots. I started getting nervous about pulling the Mylar for fear of doing more damage. I thought I could pull this playfield strip it and have a professional airbrush guy touch up the art and re-clear it. But that just seemed like it would take months. So I picked up a Mirco. Well then I started reading about all the horror stories of his playfields. So I researched how to protect the troubles that may occur with his playfields. I am still terrified now because of all the negativity that surrounds these playfields. I thought how could this guy stay in business for more than a decade selling these things if they were truly that bad? So I guess that is yet to be determined.

A buddy of mine just completed a swap on a monster bash so he was fresh with knowledge. He has a home made rotisserie and a manufactured one. I asked him if I could borrow his rotisseries and he said sure. So having two rotisseries is very helpful imo.

I had done a playfield swap 20 some years ago on an Addams with no rotisseries no knowledge I just did it. That one turned out fine lol zero clue how I pulled that off.

mof asked me to share some things:

Couple things I learned. The pops suck to do!!!!

Once you transfer over all the bottom side mechs and boards the wire harness seems incredibly intimidating but it is actually one of the more simple things to do.

Set up extra lights, more lights the better!

The reamer tool is an absolute genius tool to use for the bumper posts and rail guides! Way easier than drilling!!!

I took almost 400 pics and used most of them lol

I used a table the size of my playfield when I disassembled the top. I took a small section off at a time. Bagged it up in a ziplock with all its parts and placed in the table in roughly the same spot as the playfield. Every bag and section I took many pics to use again as a reminder and a reference. So I slowly rebuilt the playfield as I took it off on that table I setup. Don’t be afraid to take 400 pic’s because they will come in handy!

Once I got the bottom off the old playfield assembly and reassembled on the new playfield. I slid the rotisserie over to the cabinet and plugged the wire harness back in. Then I dropped the new playfield in the cabinet. Some I believe suggested that in here. They may have plugged in and left off the rotisserie for testing.

Once I double checked everything and it appeared normal. I turned the machine on and started testing lights, Switches, and mechs. Sorted out the bugs and started rebuilding the top. Every time a section went back on the topside. I turn on the machine tested that.

I haven’t really given it a play test yet but I might tonight or tomorrow. But as of last night everything seems to be functioning well.

#133 5 months ago
    Quoted from RickyBobby1:

Long story short. I hate playfield wear or damaged and it would have drove me crazy looking at it over the length of time I own the machine

#134 5 months ago

This!!! plus a good monitor to look at them while working is bigggg.

If a swap "can" take only 40 hours, it can take 2x that just by not taking enough clear pictures and sweating about every hard decision.

-mof

#135 5 months ago
    Quoted from mof:

This!!! plus a good monitor to look at them while working is bigggg.
    If a swap "can" take only 40 hours, it can take 2x that just by not taking enough clear pictures and sweating about every hard decision.
    -mof

I'm working on a Flash restore right now. Here's a shot from this weekend putting together the wire harness on a new CPR playfield. My trusty iPad is parked in the upper left corner showing my camera roll of 300+ Flash pix. Sometimes I'll hook up the iPad to that TV on the left wall when I'm moving the playfield around a lot on the rotisserie, but mostly I just use the iPad for the reference pix.
    IMG_5609.jpgIMG_5609.jpg

#136 5 months ago

When I purchased the pin the wear spots on the the playfield were minimal in the pics provided from the sale. I was going to try and touch it up. So I started to follow VID’s thread. Then when I actually got the machine here I had not noticed someone had stuck Mylar over that and other wear spots. I started getting nervous about pulling the Mylar for fear of doing more damage. I thought I could pull this playfield strip it and have a professional airbrush guy touch up the art and re-clear it. But that just seemed like it would take months. So I picked up a Mirco. Well then I started reading about all the horror stories of his playfields. So I researched how to protect the troubles that may occur with his playfields. I am still terrified now because of all the negativity that surrounds these playfields. I thought how could this guy stay in business for more than a decade selling these things if they were truly that bad? So I guess that is yet to be determined.
    A buddy of mine just completed a swap on a monster bash so he was fresh with knowledge. He has a home made rotisserie and a manufactured one. I asked him if I could borrow his rotisseries and he said sure. So having two rotisseries is very helpful imo.
    I had done a playfield swap 20 some years ago on an Addams with no rotisseries no knowledge I just did it. That one turned out fine lol zero clue how I pulled that off.
    mof asked me to share some things:
    Couple things I learned. The pops suck to do!!!!
    Once you transfer over all the bottom side mechs and boards the wire harness seems incredibly intimidating but it is actually one of the more simple things to do.
    Set up extra lights, more lights the better!
    The reamer tool is an absolute genius tool to use for the bumper posts and rail guides! Way easier than drilling!!!
    I used a table the size of my playfield when I disassembled the top. I took a small section off at a time. Bagged it up in a ziplock with all its parts and placed in the table in roughly the same spot as the playfield. Every bag and section I took many pics to use again as a reminder and a reference. So I slowly rebuilt the playfield as I took it off on that table I setup. Don’t be afraid to take 400 pic’s because they will come in handy!
    Once I got the bottom off the old playfield assembly and reassembled on the new playfield. I slid the rotisserie over to the cabinet and plugged the wire harness back in. Then I dropped the new playfield in the cabinet. Some I believe suggested that in here. They may have plugged in and left off the rotisserie for testing.
    Once I double checked everything and it appeared normal. I turned the machine on and started testing lights, Switches, and mechs. Sorted out the bugs and started rebuilding the top. Every time a section went back on the topside. I turn on the machine tested that.
    I haven’t really given it a play test yet but I might tonight or tomorrow. But as of last night everything seems to be functioning well.

Awesome - thanks for your write-up! Very helpful. I've done a few topside teardowns to clean the playfield and get everything "right" and there were many times I said to myself, "crap, why didn't I take a before-pic of that area"! LOL. Having the phone out and clicking pics has now become second nature because it saves so much time when putting the pieces back together!

I recently finished an EBD "refresh" - took over 500 pics and it wasn't even a swap (and yeah, the pops were a pain). It probably could use a new playfield (or hardtop) but it came it out pretty nice. When the planking and wear spots start driving me crazy, I'll have to consider a swap.

Next to taking tons of pics, the best advice I have is using a rotisserie - it is the bomb! Being able to rotate the playfield back and forth saves a ton of time compared to having the playfield in the pin.

IMG_9282 (resized).jpegIMG_9282 (resized).jpegIMG_9636 (resized).jpegIMG_9636 (resized).jpegIMG_9413 (resized).jpegIMG_9413 (resized).jpegIMG_9417 (resized).jpegIMG_9417 (resized).jpeg
    #137 5 months ago

As I'm working on the top side of my Space Shuttle playfield swap, I've noted that the 'shaft' on the original #6 t-nuts is longer (nearly 1/8") than the new t-nuts I had installed. For some posts this probably won't matter, but for the mini posts (pointed top with hex base) which have a lock washer underneath (at least they did on the original playfield), the threaded portion of the post doesn't reach the t-nut. I think the simplest solution is just to knock out and re-use the original t-nuts for those 6 posts. Certainly easier than countersinking the new t-nuts. Anyone else run into this?

Randy

There are 137 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-swap-guide/page/3?hl=flipper_mcgavin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.