(Topic ID: 191653)

Playfield Slide/Support Rails - Bally SS -early 80's

By Toasterdog

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Does anyone know why the different set up on the playfield support rails? All these would have been 1979-1980 I guess.
My Flash Gordon is pretty awesome (Dah!) in regards to these rails. Full length, I can lift playfield and slide into a serviceable position.

My EBD only has a full length rail on the right side, but a tiny piece on the back on the left side and then another tiny towards the front on the left. I have to support the left side of the playfield and lift from the back and into position.

The Viking I just sold was a combo of the two if I remember, with two mediumish rails on both sides.

Basically, none were identical. Was this simply a case of using what's avialable? I've seen newer cabinets using old games as interior cabinet braces, but not a difference in the playfield supports rails.

#2 6 years ago
Quoted from Toasterdog:

Does anyone know why the different set up on the playfield support rails? All these would have been 1979-1980 I guess.
My Flash Gordon is pretty awesome (Dah!) in regards to these rails. Full length, I can lift playfield and slide into a serviceable position.
My EBD only has a full length rail on the right side, but a tiny piece on the back on the left side and then another tiny towards the front on the left. I have to support the left side of the playfield and lift from the back and into position.
The Viking I just sold was a combo of the two if I remember, with two mediumish rails on both sides.
Basically, none were identical. Was this simply a case of using what's avialable? I've seen newer cabinets using old games as interior cabinet braces, but not a difference in the playfield supports rails.

I think the reasoning was because there were coils, switches and target banks along the bottom edges of the PFs the rails had to be cut in sections for clearance. Williams games are like this as well. Fathom actually only has the pivots (similar to system 11 games) and that is a nightmare to try to get to the upper inline drops, or anything else at the top of the PF. We added a set of rails in our Fathom to be able to work on it.

Phoebe

#3 6 years ago

Thanks Phoebe. That makes total sense.

And yes, I hate the pivots. My T2 and Whirlwind have them. I have to pull the PF to remove the ramps on my WW and I have been avoiding it like the plague.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 99.00
$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

3,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elkhart, IN
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 179.00
Machine - For Sale
Sewickley, PA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 179.00
Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Forest City, PA
5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Houston, TX
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Other
Volcano Pinball

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 69.00
$ 7.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-slidesupport-rails-bally-ss-early-80s and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.