8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by mbaumle
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 8 years ago

So I'm shipping out a playfield to have it restored, I've followed Vid's guide to near perfection for packing procedure, but now I need a box. I can't seem to find the standard 48x22x6 size at either UPS or Fedex stores, and the closest thing I could find was a guitar box at 50x20x8--which is slightly too big for my actual dimensions.

The playfield I'm shipping is a whirlwind playfield, and it's actual dimensions with packing is roughly (and rounded up) 49x25x6. How do you guys go about getting a proper box?

Thanks

#2 8 years ago

When I was at Expo I bought one from Pinball Life. The expensive part was the foam corner/side protectors

#3 8 years ago

I buy sheets of corrugate, score the folds and make my own carton.

#4 8 years ago
    Quoted from PjM:

I buy sheets of corrugate, score the folds and make my own carton.

I'm not sure if I'd trust myself to make something like that, but at the rate things are going, it looks like it'll be my only option. The only boxes I can find of decent size are made for bikes and guitars, and they're simply too big.

#5 8 years ago

For the last playfield I shipped, I made my own box for it.

1) Put pool noodles / pipe insulation around all the edges of the playfield.
    2) Shrink wrap the playfield
    3) Get 1" thick foam board insulation, cut it to size (leave a 1" gap around all sides), and sandwich the playfield.
    4) Pack some newspaper around the edges of the playfield and start shrink wrapping the foam board around the playfield. Stuff the edges with padding as you go.
    5) Put duct tape around the corners to help them from getting squashed.
    5) Get some cardboard and packing tape and wrap it up.

That will probably be about $35-$40 to ship. $16 or so for packing materials, plus $20 for a roll of 80 gauge shrink wrap (if you don't already have some).

#6 8 years ago

Thanks for all the advice guys. Here's what I ended up doing:

I packed the playfield up using Vid's guide. I didn't have shrink wrap, so instead I bought piles of plastic wrap from the dollar store and really went to town on it.

FedEx claimed they could make a custom box, but that was going to be expensive. Instead, I took the packed playfield into the UPS store and the lady there offered a picture frame box would be the closest thing. The box was the right thickness and length, but the width was much too wide--again, to fit a square-ish picture frame/painting. Very kindly, she had a tool that allowed us to cut down and perforate the box, and my dad and I were able to cut it down to the perfect dimensions in the store (we brought our own packing tape and box cutters, but they were happy to provide us with their own). My dad gets a pretty hearty shipping discount, so it only cost $25 to ship, but I insured everything which brought the cost up to $35 or so.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-shipping-box-size and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.