Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by ChrisLIX
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

So I need to clean my playfield
    Haven’t done it in a while.
    I like using carnuba wax
    But what’s safe to wipe it all done with first.
    Obviously it’s like a car
    You don’t run wax onto a dirty area first without cleaning it
    Anything local I could get to spray on and wipe playfield down with

#2 5 years ago

For light general cleaning Novus 1 works great.

#3 5 years ago
    Quoted from Only_Pinball:

For light general cleaning Novus 1 works great.

Thats what I use also. Then wax. Works well

#4 5 years ago

Ok I thought novus 1 was a polish more than a cleaner.
    The current carnuba is black and dirty on my PF so wanted to clean it off
    Wasn’t sure if like simple green or anything like that was good to use
    Then a fresh coat of carnuba wax

#5 5 years ago

Keep away from anything water based if you can. Water will raise the woodgrain and can cause planking.

I think generally, the safest accepted cleaning product to use on a playfield is Naphtha, as it won't harm the paint, any clear coats (be it lacquer or automotive style), is non abrasive, and since it doesn't have water in it, it won't cause planking. Plus it'll remove old wax residue, leaving your playfield fresh and ready to accept a new coat of wax. Just keep the stuff away from mylar, as it'll breakdown the adhesive.

#7 5 years ago

I like to clean my safes with Leftfield safe cleaner.

#8 5 years ago

Yes I read his tips
    But didn’t have what I was looking for really.
    Was mainly looking for what to clean all the old wax off and make it nice and clean before applying new wax
    Guess I’ll just use the novus 1

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from Jwblocal701:

Yes I read his tips
    Was mainly looking for what to clean all the old wax off and make it nice and clean before applying new wax

Want to clean off the wax completely, use naptha. He talks about it in every other post.

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from Jwblocal701:

Naphatha should be your go-to. Don’t mess around with Novus 1 for this type of thing. Novus 1 is going to be more expensive, and FAR less effective at removing wax residue—if it’s even effective at all. Naphtha’s job is literally to dissolve wax, and it leaves absolutely no residue. Use it with a nice terry cloth, and you’ll be in business.

Save the Novus 1 for your ramps and plastics.

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:Naphatha should be your go-to. Don’t mess around with Novus 1 for this type of thing. Novus 1 is going to be more expensive, and FAR less effective at removing wax residue—if it’s even effective at all. Naphtha’s job is literally to dissolve wax, and it leaves absolutely no residue. Use it with a nice terry cloth, and you’ll be in business.
    Save the Novus 1 for your ramps and plastics.

Got cha

#12 5 years ago

Nap or Novus 2.

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from Jwblocal701:

Yes I read his tips

Right on the first page:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-and-waxing-pinball-machines-vids-guide#post-2656104

4 months later

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-safe-cleaner?hl=chrislix and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.