(Topic ID: 267528)

Playfield restorations is 100% caught up and taking new work again.

By CaptainNeo

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by EJS
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7245[1] (resized).JPG
    IMG_7244[1] (resized).JPG
    WXOT8123[1] (resized).JPG
    indy (resized).jpg
    #1 3 years ago

With everything going on, i've finally been catching up on playfields again. For the 3rd time in 13 years, i'm getting to the point where i'm finishing up the final stages on the last ones in house for customers. So if you want a quote or need something restored, and don't want to have to wait 6-8 months. Now is the time. Playfields are put in my queue in the order they show up at the door. Sometimes playfields show up 3 in a day. Which can push the worklog back. Currently if something showed up at my door tomorrow, with minor touchups, turnaround time could be 4-5 weeks.

If you want a quote. Email me pictures to:

[email protected]

send a pic of the Top, middle and bottom sections overall. Close ups of problem areas.

I have 3 levels of restoration work.

Level 1 is just clearcoating. no touchups or minimal black insert edge work only.
    Level 2- touches up the visible areas of the playfield when together from players perspective. Areas under plastics, posts, ramps and what not are not touched up.
    Level 3- Touches up everything.

All clearcoating is the same on all 3 levels. I use automotive clearcoat for clearcoating. Been using the same clearcoat for 13 years. Proven to hold up well for playfields. Just finished playfield number #429 last night.

#2 3 years ago

btw, my website is

www.playfieldrestoration.com

The website is currently being completely rewritten and has been in hiatus for the past 4 or 5 years as I can't get into it to edit it. So the info in it is old, but still has info. It will be completely different once the new site is complete.

#3 3 years ago

turnaround time is about 4-6 weeks currently. With light to medium touchup work needed.

1 week later
    #4 3 years ago

Last one going out the door monday. Now is the time if you want something done fast.

#5 3 years ago

I figured everyone would be finally getting their games ready for restoration with all this downtime. Usually i'm booked up 3-6 months.

#6 3 years ago

i'm going to bump this every day. not sure if playfields are on the way, a lot of times they just show up at my door without me knowing they are coming, But i'll keep bumping this till more come in. out of 13 years. Never been fully dead. (I do have robot cabinet rescreening projects i'm currently doing, but then back to playfields (maybe)). Been caught up 2 other times, in 13 years.... only for it to last about 2 days and then buried again. With the shutdown and extra time. figured people would be breaking down games they didn't have time to get to in the past.

#7 3 years ago

If I still had my Space Mission torn down I probably would have sent you that. It's a bit of a roach inside. The playfield wood actually has a pop up bubble where the ball would land from the right scoop so it may be too far gone to be worthwhile.

#8 3 years ago

I have a Time Fantasy PF you CC/touched up many moons ago. Still looks incredible. I wish I had something to send to you...

#9 3 years ago

I'm so thrilled with my Indy resto, its beautiful! I wish I had another for you. I'm searching for a TAF to do next. I know there are a several replacement options for playfields now but I really love having an original playfield whenever possible.

indy (resized).jpgindy (resized).jpg

#10 3 years ago

Wish I had something to send now!

#11 3 years ago

Dang, it's the catch 22. I haven't bought any games that would need PF restorations because nobody was taking them in anymore. Now that is opening back up I'm betting I can't find any games that would need it. If I can find a local "300", Top Score or Space Mission I'm in!

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from EJS:

If I still had my Space Mission torn down I probably would have sent you that. It's a bit of a roach inside. The playfield wood actually has a pop up bubble where the ball would land from the right scoop so it may be too far gone to be worthwhile.

i'd have to see it. nearly everything is fixable (aside from major twisted warp, or cracked in half), it comes down to if it's worth it to spend the money to fix whatever is wrong with it. Show me a pic of this bubble.

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

i'd have to see it. nearly everything is fixable (aside from major twisted warp, or cracked in half), it comes down to if it's worth it to spend the money to fix whatever is wrong with it. Show me a pic of this bubble.

Cool I'll text you a short video this weekend. It's almost impossible to detect unless it's pressed upon.

2 weeks later
    #14 3 years ago

Nice, a got a Stingray that I would like to get do e.

#16 3 years ago

CaptainNeo I have a Stargate I need a #1 on.

#17 3 years ago

Stargate that just needs clear? How is that even possible? I've never seen a stargate without some kind of wear somewhere.

#18 3 years ago

shot you an email with pics. Thanks!!

#19 3 years ago

I'll send a PM when off work.

#20 3 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Stargate that just needs clear? How is that even possible? I've never seen a stargate without some kind of wear somewhere.

Why do you think I want it cleared!?!?

#21 3 years ago

because you said number 1. That's just clear.

#22 3 years ago

do you do touch ups without clear?

#23 3 years ago

I could, but it would be very difficult. Since when doing playfields. You touch stuff up. clear, then retouchup things you missed. Spots that reveal themselves you didn't see before, and sometimes have to change colors that changed after clear hit them.

2 weeks later
    #24 3 years ago

Do you accept playfields with factory mylar? Its a Radical by Bally? Reproduction playfields are un-likely for this. Removing the mylar will most likely remove alot of art I would assume.

1 week later
    #25 3 years ago

yes, I do. With system 11's, it's tricky because the lacquer reacted to the plastics of the inserts. SO many of them would create airbubbles and crack the lacquer and flake off. Hence, why so many system 11's are epic failures when removing mylar. Many of them the art is already off the playfield, and stuck to the mylar before you even try to lift it up.

3 months later
    #26 3 years ago

I just got a Sky Jump playfield back from Captain Neo. It had planking and Neo was able to get it perfectly smooth and looking great. This is the first clear that Neo has done for me and I just wanted to say that it turned out beautiful, great communication, fast service and a reasonable price.

2 weeks later
    #27 3 years ago

TY. That one did a have a ton of graining. Glad we got it smooth. should last a lifetime now.

#28 3 years ago

Not sure how I missed this thread. You have some awesome WI referrals and your work looks impressive. Will be reaching out soon.

1 month later
    #29 3 years ago

Just got my Knock Out back from Neo today! Looks amazing.

(close up is a before)

To clarify a couple things; yes the playfield was from Wade as a reproduction, BUT this was not part of his production run so it did need work. Experimental clear and wood was used and had some damage from being handled as such. Neo did a great job with the inserts and removing a few scratches. I think there are a couple artistical differences between this one and the official reproduction but I sure can't tell a difference at first glance. This is a major upgrade to the blown out playfield I have installed right now on my game.

great work CaptainNeo and Wade!

WXOT8123[1] (resized).JPGWXOT8123[1] (resized).JPGIMG_7244[1] (resized).JPGIMG_7244[1] (resized).JPGIMG_7245[1] (resized).JPGIMG_7245[1] (resized).JPG

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-restorations-is-taking-work-again?hl=yellowghost and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.