You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMAG0702.jpg
IMAG0703.jpg
IMAG0693.jpg
IMAG0691.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider billybob.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 12 years ago

Just got a Gottleb Sinbad. the playfiled seems to be clearcoated. Did they clearcoat PF's back then? Iv'e done 2 PF restorations now and clearcoated and they came out great but i am unsure how to proceed with this one.

The Color is really good under the coating so paint T/U will be minimal. Is there a way to take off the coating without effecting the paint? The coating seems to have yellowed a little over the years. I would like to take it down to the paint and then recoat.

thanks

IMAG0691.jpgIMAG0691.jpg IMAG0693.jpgIMAG0693.jpg

#5 12 years ago

I started working at it with a straight razor and big flakes came off right away. Very yellowed. It must be Lacquer or Varnish but I have to say it was expertly put on and preserved the paint very well. I'm a little leery to go any further as the bigger flakes pull off pin head size flakes of paint every so often but I’m not sure some kind of solvent would be any less messy. I will try an dissolve some of the pieces tonight. My bet is Lacquer.

Now the only real problem is getting the portions of the field that had lost their cover over the years to look as good as the color underneath

not sure if you can see it close enough but look at the variation in the color of the blue and pink. you can really see the color brighten up.

IMAG0703.jpgIMAG0703.jpg

#6 12 years ago

Wrong picture. here is the right one.

IMAG0702.jpgIMAG0702.jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 89.00
Electronics
That Old Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider billybob.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-restoration-see-pictures?tu=billybob and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.