Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by billybob
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMAG0702.jpg
IMAG0703.jpg
IMAG0693.jpg
IMAG0691.jpg

#1 8 years ago

Just got a Gottleb Sinbad. the playfiled seems to be clearcoated. Did they clearcoat PF's back then? Iv'e done 2 PF restorations now and clearcoated and they came out great but i am unsure how to proceed with this one.

The Color is really good under the coating so paint T/U will be minimal. Is there a way to take off the coating without effecting the paint? The coating seems to have yellowed a little over the years. I would like to take it down to the paint and then recoat.

thanks

IMAG0691.jpg IMAG0693.jpg

#2 8 years ago

Do you think that is a clear coat, or is it mylar? Can you peel it up without affecting the paint? Maybe a bit of a scrape underneath.

steve

#3 8 years ago

It looks like someone clearcoated it and the clear has popped. If its water based clear I assumed you can take some naptha to it and it will soften it. This would be better answered by Jim or Bryan.

#4 8 years ago

good luck! tatman and I are in the process of restoring a HS. Alot of work but its fun

#5 8 years ago

I started working at it with a straight razor and big flakes came off right away. Very yellowed. It must be Lacquer or Varnish but I have to say it was expertly put on and preserved the paint very well. I'm a little leery to go any further as the bigger flakes pull off pin head size flakes of paint every so often but I’m not sure some kind of solvent would be any less messy. I will try an dissolve some of the pieces tonight. My bet is Lacquer.

Now the only real problem is getting the portions of the field that had lost their cover over the years to look as good as the color underneath

not sure if you can see it close enough but look at the variation in the color of the blue and pink. you can really see the color brighten up.

IMAG0703.jpg

#6 8 years ago

Wrong picture. here is the right one.

IMAG0702.jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
$ 289.00
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
1,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Port St. Lucie, FL
$ 49.00
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
COINTAKER.COM
$ 2.50
Various Novelties
Pinball Wheezer
$ 199.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 24.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
$ 229.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 24.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
$ 84.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
$ 55.95
Boards
Allteksystems
$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside