You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

J120_Connector.jpg
insert.jpg
scenes.jpg
#1 10 years ago

I finally have some time to get serious about cleaning up The Shadow that I bought a couple of months ago.

First question is about playfield inserts. Looks like a previous owner tried to put down some clear liquid (superglue?) on the scene designators then cover it with squares of mylar. There is also a chipped insert below upper right ramp. Can any of these be replaced fairly easily or do I need to consider a new playfield? (The rest of the playfield is in pretty good shape, IMO)

Also, just a couple of weeks ago the bottom half of the general illumination on my translite went out. A study of manual led me towards J120 and it looks like all 4 wires have burnt spots on the 11 pin connector. Should my first attempt be to just replace the connector? Never done that before so wondering if it is easy to do. Also curious about what might have caused this recent issue.

As always, I really appreciate all of you helping me to learn this hobby. I love working on these but as you can tell, it is still a work in progress. THANKS!

#2 10 years ago

sorry, I will have pics in a few minutes

#3 10 years ago

Pics needed for playfield.

Do you own a meter for backbox?

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from wannabewiz:

sorry, I will have pics in a few minutes

Ha, we posted at the same time

Quoted from vid1900:

Pics needed for playfield.

#5 10 years ago

You can see the mylar squares. Some of the "bubbles" under it are indeed bubbles. However, there is also some bumps from the hard, clear "superglue" stuff. Looks terrible! Actually doesn't seem to affect game play too often but even the few occassions are too many.

scenes.jpgscenes.jpg insert.jpginsert.jpg

#6 10 years ago

Yes, I have a meter. I checked all fuses before I noticed the J120 connector.

#7 10 years ago

Connector Pic. Let me know if any other pics of playfield, etc. may help.

J120_Connector.jpgJ120_Connector.jpg

#8 10 years ago

Check and see if you have AC at the connector and then test on the board. Voltage on board, none on connector: rebuild it.

Best to rebuild it anyways, but at least you'll know if that's your problem.

It's pretty easy, you can pick up an IDC kit at Pinball Kit including the insertion tool. Or just buy the connector you need and the insertion tool.

#9 10 years ago

Per picture, there are 4 wires on this connector. The 2 left pins on the board test at 7.4v while the two on the right test at .4v. When I check the same spots on back of connector when plugged in they are slightly and relatively lower. Like 6 something on left and .1 or so on right.

Lights will come on and off as I move the connector. For example they may all come on if I slide it back just a little bit but then may blink or look dimmer than normal.
I can tell that the connector is getting hot. At least two of the four spots seems to be more burnt after messing with it and warm to the touch. I have the connector completely unplugged now.

Does any of this narrow it down to either the board, the connector, or the wiring?

#10 10 years ago

Yes. You need to rebuild the connector. Then either clean and inspect the male board connectors and solder joints (fix as necessary) or just replace them.

#11 10 years ago

Connector is toasted. Cut a new connector and terminate wires with trifurcon's. Replacing the male / board header pins would be a good idea as well.

#12 10 years ago

Ditto. Don't use IDC connectors. Get the connector housing and Trifurcon pins and rebuild that connector. Practice on some old wire with crimping the pins on the wire correctly. There are some good crimping tools out there but frankly, I've had really good success just using wire strippers and needle nose pliers.

Also a good idea to replace those header pins, but not absolutely necessary.

#13 10 years ago

Ok. I will plan to replace the connector with trifurcon and also the header pins.
Just curious, we're the voltages what you expected? (I had neg/black probe to ground strip)
Thanks!

Also still interested in anyone's thought about the playfield. Always nice to order everything I need at once to save on shipping.

#14 10 years ago

J120-9
J120-10 both 6.8 volts AC

#15 10 years ago

I would post your question regarding the playfield on Vid's guide:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration

#16 10 years ago

I had a PF in fairly similar condition. It was a major job to get it back to an acceptable level. Full strip down, touch ups and repairs, followed by automotive clearcoat.

I suppose I could have got it playable by taking a few shortcuts, but I would rather do the job once and properly.

Not for the feint-hearted.

#17 10 years ago

Hi I almost bought that shadow, it was in St Louis...is that where you got it? I actually contacted vid1900 for advise on it, but being an amateur to any pf repair I passed on it but posted the ad here and another pinsider bought it...hope you can restore it with minimal headache. GL

#18 10 years ago

It is likely the same machine but I actually got it in Springfield. The seller was a good guy and disclosed everything and I just couldn't pass on a title that I wanted that was also so close to home.

Wife and I have love it and it plays well enough for us. I am actually just more interested in learning how to fix this sort of thing to better "learn the craft". Not sure we want it out of commission that long though.

Does anyone know how to find a decent Shadow replacement playfield? I have done a few informal searches with no luck. Replacing it would also be a great experience and I could then take my time restoring this one.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 16.00
Playfield - Other
Slap Save Creations

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 58.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Louisville, KY
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

€ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

5,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Thornton, CO
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-repair-and-gi-question-the-shadow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.