• Latest reply 8 years ago by vid1900
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC06380.jpg
#1 8 years ago

When I first saw the KISS machine I thought is was very cool and want one but was a little concerned when on one of the first videos they released you could see dimples after just a few plays. See the screen shot from their video - look in the glare spot. I have heard that apparently they have rectified a few things and one being the playfields are alot tougher now and won't dimple. Can anyone confirm that the games going out now have a higher quality playfields are holding up better from a dimpling perspective. My concern is I was wondering if maybe the playfields were screened on the wrong side - soften ply side or the clear coat was still very fresh.

Can people share their observations and pics if it is still happening. I know dimpling happens but some of the older machines seem much stronger in not having alot if any dimples.

#2 8 years ago

Older machines usually have so many dimples that you can't see them anymore. Happened with all the diamond plate playfields that I owned and every clear coated restored playfield that I've seen.

#3 8 years ago

paging vid in three, two, one...

(in the meantime, I'll reiterate what he will say, metal > wood. steel "air" balls pounding your playfield is always going to leave some sort of impression on the wood. as time goes on, the number of dents will increase to the point where that top layer of wood is compressed to the point where it appears practically [smoothed] out again.

#4 8 years ago

I have pinballs that have it and some that don't. It's obvious all the newer ones have it. My SS, tranformers and CSI don't have it at all. NBA is such a good playfield too, doesn't have it at all. All the others have it. Some more than other. I always put my coils and slingshots on soft. Some people say that "if you play enough it gets flat again." Well that's all talk. That could only happen if all spots got equally smashed... I've seen games on location with 1000's of games and they were not flat at all, only looked worse...

#5 8 years ago

I guess it depends on how long the playfields have been sitting around before they were installed. The clear has to have time to cure. The longer the better. I bet the playfields of these brand new titles haven't been sitting for very long compared to a NIB of an older title.

#6 8 years ago

I have owned over 100 games. I have purchased every new Stern since 2001 other than Mustang and CSI. I have NEVER had a playfield that didn't dimple. Not from Stern, Not from Bally/Williams, Not from Sega, Not from Data East.

#7 8 years ago

God da---it...this AGAIN?

#8 8 years ago

Every game dimples. Just like every car gets swirls.

#9 8 years ago

Drop a metal ball on anything, your coffee table, hood of your car, playfield....its gonna dimple....

Key to not dimpling is not putting any balls into the game. Then it's perfect forever!

#10 8 years ago

I love dimples on my PFs...means I'm playing my pins

Anyone have dimples on there ass?? Maybe that's a better discussion

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from BackFlipper:

I have owned over 100 games. I have purchased every new Stern since 2001 other than Mustang and CSI.

CSI I can understand, but no Mustang?!

#12 8 years ago

I'll say this when I was making my first purchase I had the same concern I looked at an AC dc that looked like a golf ball. While its true my older games look like they have been completely depressed by the ball over the years.. I think something is in fact different now vs then… but at the end of the day since they are all the same… it is what it is.. you get a golf ball playfield that I don't think will ever even out.

#13 8 years ago

I am aware that games dimple and it is a steel ball versus a cleared piece of timber and probably should of been clearer in my opening statement. It was stated on another forum that Stern has changed something and that no new kiss playfield will dimple which I thought was quite a bold statement and was curious if this statement is true.

#14 8 years ago

The new KISS certainly dimples mines covered in them which I did expect just below Genes tongue it's pretty bad in the black area, I suppose it's where the balls drops! It's covered in Mylar but still dimples weird??

#15 8 years ago

Just to weigh in....I visited a Kiss on location yesterday and the entire playfield was pretty well dimpled.

#16 8 years ago

OMG DIMPLES!!!

DSC06380.jpgDSC06380.jpg

This is a brand new CPR playfield (that cured for over six months) after just a few plays. You do seem to notice it more right at first - but once you've played it more, they don't seem as obvious.

#17 8 years ago

Wood vs steel... Wood loses every time.

#18 8 years ago

It's nothing bad. The clear has to be a bit "soft" and will compress from the ball over time. If the clear was rock solid it would spiderweb and crack from hits.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.95
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-quality-kiss and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.