• 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by captainBR
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2018-03-02 at 8.25.31 AM (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zacaj.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from NJGecko:

Installing mylar doesn't really take cosmetic skill

Hah! I can never get it to go down well enough, it always looks ugly, and if you mess up once you're probably not getting it off again.

Playfield protectors are much safer and easier, but they can have as slight affect on the game. I've never noticed it playing different though, but it's a personal preference thing

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from Dantesmark:

I thought u didnt use wax before installing b/c it makes it look cloudy?

Playfield protectors are sheets of thin clear plastic/lexan/etc. They don't attach at all, they just sit on top. If installing a protector, you don't want to wax, as it'll cloud. If applying mylar, you want to wax first, as it'll make removing the mylar a bit easier and mylar doesn't cloud like that.

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from Alan_L:

OK, I just did some research and found out what playfield protectors are: a big piece of PETG that just adheres by static to your playfield, custom cut for your game.
Sounds like a great idea, but, this machine is a Thunder Man from Apple Time in Milan, Italy 1987. Not a lot of demand for pp's for this game considering there are only three known in the US out of a total production of about 750. Clearcoating is not in my budget.
Is there anyone in the Baltimore/mid-Atlantic area who has a good track record of installing mylars?

It's not that hard to make your own protector. Buy a blank sheet for about $20, lay it on top and trace where you need, then cut it out and lay it on top. If you can't find anyone experienced with mylar it's much less risky than attempting the mylar yourself, especially on a rare game...

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from Alan_L:

Found .020 PETG online, will that work?
What do you cut it with, Xacto knife?

I'm not sure about PETG but both lexan and acrylic can be cut with a knife or scissors. You could probably even get away with just marking and drilling any relevant holes and lying the sheet over the entire playfield if you've already got it torn down.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zacaj.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-protector-vs-mylar?tu=zacaj and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.