(Topic ID: 208903)

Playfield protector install - to wax or not to wax?

By pinlink

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 69 days ago by izzy
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Wax game before installing a playfield protector?”

• Yes, wax it! 8 votes
      27%
    • No, don't wax! 20 votes
      67%
    • Other 2 votes
      7%

(30 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

E0F82FC1-462D-421E-87BA-4F840E56B9F4 (resized).jpeg
    8B96C563-16A3-4F5B-A9BA-97FD2478AD92 (resized).jpeg
    #1 6 years ago

Getting a playfield protector in today for Paragon.

Looking through old threads, it seems some people say to wax before install others say not to wax. Others have mentioned naptha, which I don't have or have experience with. What do you say?

Anything else I should know or be aware of for the install? Or before the install? Are these easily removable?

#2 6 years ago

Seems like a good opportunity to replace post, wax playfield and replace rubbers.

I'm on the fence on Waxing though. Will the shine of the surface cause issues with the shine of the mylar. Don't know.

I had one game with Playfield protector and wasn't a big fan of it to be honest.

#3 6 years ago

My rule is on a new game or a game with a near-perfect playfield, do not wax it because it will show a mottled appearance. But in my experience, on older worn playfields, the mottled wax effect isn't as prevalent (or noticeable at least), so I wax those.

Naptha is just "lighter fluid" - and a great solvent for removing wax.

They are just as easy to remove as install, but the difficulty varies with the game. I wouldn't think Paragon would be too bad since it is a single level game and no ramps.

#4 6 years ago

Nah, don’t wax it.

#5 6 years ago

1000%, NO wax before the protector.

Do a super good cleaning, wipe it all down and try to get all the dust out.
    Then put in the playfield protector.

After that, wax and clean off the protector.

All set.

I will say that protectors are awful and the only time they are worth using is when you have cupped inserts. Aside from that 1 positive, they are expensive, dont actually protect the pf much (dirt still gets under them over time and will grind the pf more when you cant easily clean it up), and the games play a bit slower than on wood.

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Aside from that 1 positive,

There is 1 more big positive - you can maintain your playfield in mint condition if you install a protector on a new game - zero dimples. Really helps out on games with ball drops and/or tendency for airballs or magnets. Worth a $150 to me.

It is true that dirt gets under them, but no "grinding" - the protector shouldn't be sliding around if installed correctly. You can take them off every couple of years if you want to clean them. You can also just cut them off with snips in about 5 minutes if you want to remove them permanently to, say, sell your game.

As far as speed difference, ask 3 people and you'll probably get 3 different answers. I have them installed on everything from old EMs to modern games, and I personally think the speed difference is negligible. Hell, some people even say the ball travels faster.

In the end, YOU are either going to like them or not, but nobody else can tell you if YOU are going to like them or not. Just like I can't tell you what your favorite color is, even though I know it's green Try one and see for yourself.

#7 6 years ago

Don't wax it!! There's absolutely no point to waxing your playfield if you're laying a protector down. You'll run the risk of unsightly "wet" spots appearing between the protector and the playfield caused by the wax. It's called mottling. Naphtha is used to safely clean and remove the wax so this doesn't happen. I have protectors on my newer Sterns and love them. Much easier to install/remove on older pins. Majority of users are very pleased with playfield protectors.

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

dont actually protect the pf much (dirt still gets under them over time and will grind the pf more when you cant easily clean it up), and the games play a bit slower than on wood.

think they are to new to say this one way or the other. I understand the logic but, can't imagine some dust particles doing that much damage.
    I'll let you know in 10 years when I take one off a NIB game I put on route.

haven't noticed the ball going slower, but maybe that's just me.
    thought there might of been less spin.
    I took some footage before and after on a stern star trek install, need to post it on you tube or something.

5 years later
    #9 1 year ago
    Quoted from hocuslocus:

think they are to new to say this one way or the other. I understand the logic but, can't imagine some dust particles doing that much damage.
    I'll let you know in 10 years when I take one off a NIB game I put on route.
    haven't noticed the ball going slower, but maybe that's just me.
    thought there might of been less spin.
    I took some footage before and after on a stern star trek install, need to post it on you tube or something.

What does it look like after 5 years?

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from gk_usa:

What does it look like after 5 years?

Can’t speak for him but I have a protector on my MM that has been on for 3 years. I just pulled it off to install a restored/ clear coated PF. There was some dust and lint looking particles under the protector but that was it. I reinstalled the protector on the new PF and it looks like the pf is under water. I also waxed and buffed the new pf before putting on the protector. I have always waxed the PFs of my games before installing a protector. Never had any problems. They all looked the same, Artwork under glass. The games don’t play any faster or slower than a waxed up Clear Coated PF. You never have to worry about ball impacts on the PF.

8B96C563-16A3-4F5B-A9BA-97FD2478AD92 (resized).jpeg8B96C563-16A3-4F5B-A9BA-97FD2478AD92 (resized).jpegE0F82FC1-462D-421E-87BA-4F840E56B9F4 (resized).jpegE0F82FC1-462D-421E-87BA-4F840E56B9F4 (resized).jpeg
    1 month later
    #11 1 year ago

Do you wax the protector itself or just keep clean? Bought a T2 a while ago with one installed and today is clean/wax day. Thanks!

10 months later
    #12 70 days ago

I'm getting ready to put a playfield protector from playfieldprotectors.com on an old Mata Hari. After hearing some opinions and looking at this thread, opinions seem to be 50/50 on whether or not to wax the playfield before putting on the protector. Anyone have any experiences to share since this thread was started? Any and all advice is appreciated. Thanks.

#13 70 days ago

I don't wax the playfield, instead I clean it with naptha before installing the protector. There are Newton rings though at some point usually - the new idea that I read on this forum is to put some powder (or whatever it was) an invisible amount on top of the playfield before installing the protector in order to hinder the Newton rings -phenomenon.

#14 69 days ago

I Novus 1 the playfield and both sides of the protector, It has anti-static properties that help keep the dust off. I've done at least 6 and I'm happy.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-protector-install-to-wax-or-not-to-wax?hl=madmaxx and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.