P1090940 copy.jpg
P1090941 copy.jpg
DSC_5199 (Large).JPG
DSC_5210 (Large).JPG
DSC_5099 (Large).JPG
DSC_5214 (Large).JPG
DSC_5203 (Large).JPG
DSC_4905 (Large).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nextopin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#224 9 years ago

I don't see these on BayAreaAmusements, Are these still available? Looking for one for BK2K. Thanks!

EDIT: Found it. Anyone have one of these on a BK2K?
http://bayareaamusements.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=BAA&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=GS-BK2K-PF-PROTECTOR

#226 9 years ago

I'm no expert, but I have worked with sheet plastic. I would say you need to warm it a little. I wouldn't use anything more than a hairdryer at a distance. Lay it on the table, curl side up and gently warm it with a hairdryer, you should see it start to lay down, then let it cool. Might be best to do it inside the machine if you already have it apart, or on the playfield glass.

Like I said, I'm no expert, maybe someone has a better option but I suspect while it was in that tube, it got warm and held that curl.

I don't think putting weight on it will help much unless it's warm.

Not sure why they are shipping these in tubes. I mean cost is obvious, but it doesn't seem like a good idea for something that is intended to lay perfectly flat when installed.

#234 9 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

I bought mine for F-14 Tomcat, the inserts were popping, and some were cracked. The cost to repair the playfield properly was more then 3 times that of a protector...and the chevron inserts (that were cracked) were unobtainable.
So tell me. What is the most cost effective way to turn a gravel road into a smooth path? Enlighten me.

This is the same reason I want one. I don't have the time, skills or money to fix all my inserts on BK2K and the lightning wheel and multiplier bolt inserts are right there in the center of the playfield and between the flippers. This product would be a great way to get a smooth playfield at a minimal cost and protect the playfield from any further damage until I can get around to doing a complete restoration.

Short answer is, I want to spend my time playing my game, not restoring it.

#237 9 years ago
Quoted from ThatsaKicker:

When I made my own the roll I bought was rolled but flattened out easy enough.
I believe the old glass in light trick may work with a VERY keen eye and multiple checks though.

Do you have any info on how you made yours? Where you bought the materials, how you cut it etc?

Thanks!

3 months later
#238 9 years ago

Does anyone who installed these last year have any long term feedback before I pull the trigger on getting one of these?

Thanks!

#240 9 years ago

It's all good, I just posted it today

I have a BK2K and I eventually want to buy the pre-cut for that, but what brought it back up for me is this old EM I'm working on. I have a 2nd playfied that I'm going to restore, but I want to play it in the mean time, so I was going to try and find a sheet of this plastic and put it over the old wrecked (90k plays) playfield. This way I don't have to deal with the cupped inserts, wear etc but I'll still have a smooth surface to play on.

I haven't been able to find any locally, I was thinking about using the plastic film from a poster frame, but those are 34x36 max and I think they are .06 -.09 instead of .03.

I'm going to check out the craft places later and see if I can find it.

Once I try it out and it works ok, I'm going to try it on the BK2K.

Pics of the patient.
photo 5.JPGphoto 5.JPG

1 week later
#243 9 years ago

Thanks for that feedback. Does the ball sound different when it's rolling on the playfield? can you still hear it? That's something I like on EM's. For BK2K, I don't think I've ever heard any sounds the pin makes I have the volume up so loud!

2 weeks later
#249 9 years ago
Quoted from monkeyboypaul:

I've installed one on my Addams Family; here are some photos of it in situ.
The only thing that bothers me, ever so slightly, is a small bit of white 'fluff' over Quick Multiball which is trapped under the protector. I don't have any photos of it taken out again to show the scratches or stuff because taking it out right now just to show that and remove that fluff would just be silly, sorry. Besides that, i can't see any obvious marks on it. During installation it took a few mins of marking with a sharpie where it didn't line up quite right, so i just took a dremel to it and hey preto - snug fit.
I have one for TZ, but haven't built up the courage to strip the playfield back enough to fit it yet...

DSC_3313.JPG 131 KB

DSC_3305.JPG 248 KB

DSC_3306.JPG 237 KB

DSC_3328.JPG 148 KB

DSC_3330.JPG 172 KB

DSC_3333.JPG 238 KB

DSC_3340.JPG 354 KB

DSC_3334.JPG 204 KB

That looks great, nice job!

Thank you for posting the pics.

#251 9 years ago

whoops, fixed

#253 9 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

I have a few uneven inserts on HS2 along with insert decals. Will this help to even the playfield? Sometimes a slow moving ball will travel along the insert decal...

It should, that's why I'm going to try it on BK2K, but I need to either fix or remove my mylar first.

#255 9 years ago

http://playfield-protectors.com/

This lists all the resellers.

1 week later
#261 9 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Couldn't you just put it on the floor, lay your glass on top of it and hit it with a heat gun real lightly to flatten it out?

That's what I would try, but since I don't have one, I don't know if it would work. Seems like it would.

Does anyone know if any of the box stores carry sheets (.030) that would work, seems places like tapplastics say a playfield sized piece is considered oversized and costs extra for shipping.

#263 9 years ago

yea, no shit on the NY weather

I'd like to do this for an EM I have, I actually want to keep it wrecked, but still have a smooth surface to play on, It just seems like it would be a bunch of work getting all the holes drilled and lined up. My luck I would crack it on the last hole I drilled.

5 months later
#274 8 years ago

I would put it under. I guess it depends if it's already installed or not when you put the plastic on.

9 months later
#301 8 years ago

I just purchased playfield protectors for Black Knight 2000 and Abra-Ca-Dabra. I will post some pics after I install them. I can't wait!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 48.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 1,159.00
$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 179.00
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

26,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ
$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 29.00
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 17.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
$ 26.99
Playfield - Other
Lee's Parts

$ 35.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

20,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nextopin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-protector-full-sheet-plastic?tu=nextopin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.