P1090940 copy.jpg
P1090941 copy.jpg
DSC_5199 (Large).JPG
DSC_5210 (Large).JPG
DSC_5099 (Large).JPG
DSC_5214 (Large).JPG
DSC_5203 (Large).JPG
DSC_4905 (Large).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider judremy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#25 10 years ago

That looks awesome. How much did shipping cost?

#27 10 years ago

I am tempted. I already have my playfield torn down to nothing. Was thinking of trying to do a cheap clear on it, but may go this path. Seems safer...

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from EchoVictor:

Do it, Jeremy! And call me when you're ready to install. I'd love to see this go on in person...
Later,
EV

I am considering it for WH2O. You should get one for JM. We could save on shipping.

P.S. How is my blackbird coming along?

2 weeks later
#45 10 years ago

Hoping Bay Area amusements gets WH2O playfield protectors as I want to buy a set for mine. The makers said they might be available from BA around the end of June.

2 weeks later
#59 10 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

I think playfield protection is great but is it a little extreme or is it just me.

Not much different than adding 10 layers of clear coat. Probably plays differently, but it will protect the playfield.

4 weeks later
#106 10 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

Ok, I did an error when installing my protector for MM.
As I looked at the protector on the playfield, the troll-holes looked to be to small for the troll-doors. Furthermore I remembered that the earlier owner told me that he had
bought some enhancement for the trolls.
Well, I then thought that the holed for the trolls were too small because of the "enhanced" i.e. bigger troll doors installed by the earlier owner... For this reason I cut the holes bigger with not that much of success - the cutout look quite terrible now. I also tried to iron out any cut-errors with sandpaper and it turned out that the sandpaper made the macrolon look cloudy there were I had used the sandpaper.
After making the holes bigger I realized that the intention of the manufacturer probably is that the troll-doors stay on top of the protector all the time and that's why only smaller holes are needed.
So, now I have the first complaint about the product: I do feel that in situations like this proper install instructions should follow the protector - while the solution probably self-evident to some people, for me it was not in this case.
I have emailed bestofpinball and asked, whether they would offer a replacement. I'll post a follow-up here.

Why would you cut it? Why not contact them FIRST? I doubt they offer a replacement as you butchered the product without consulting the manufacturer first. Here are some proper install instructions: Be patient, don't change the product without consulting the manufacturer, and live with your choices.

#109 10 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

Judremy, to answer your question, with reference to my message, I was sure at the time that the holes are too small for my modified trapdoors (later found out that they are regular ones), so that's why I went and cut them.
Yes, bestofpinball.de did not offer a replacement and/or discount, so I will have to order a new one. I received info from a fellow pinball-enthusiast that indeed the trapdoor should go on top of the product.

Hopefully my post did not come off as rude. I just know I have done things where if I only waited and thought about it first, I would have saved myself time and money. Always ask the vendor is my new rule.

1 month later
#123 10 years ago
Quoted from BAA:

well, just came in 10 minutes ago, will put on the site today hopefully: IJ, TOTAN, MB, BSD, TZ, Sopranos, CC, AFM, LOTR, GI, Fireball 2, Kiss, EBD, WW, WH2O, Shrek, Family Guy, TS, Alvin G Garage Band, TSPP, Playboy (Bally), T3, IJ (stern) ...

I have been waiting for WH2O. May get LOTR later too. Let us know when you have them up!

#126 10 years ago
Quoted from BAA:

They are now up on the site.

Still looking for a reply if WhiteWater comes with a protector for the upper playfield? Didn't see one in the pic on the site.

Is it just me or does Bay Area Amusements have bad communication? I have emailed them several times and tried PM on here. Now the WH2O one is missing from the site completely. Makes it hard to want to purchase from them.

#132 10 years ago

Ordered WH2O protector hoping it comes with the upper playfield piece shown on the German site.

3 weeks later
#144 10 years ago

I did buy the one for WH2O and it does come with the upper playfield piece even though it is not shown on the BAA site. Haven't installed yet due to my project to finish my basement.

5 months later
#192 10 years ago

My WH2O one is still great and I love it. This avoids me dealing with unlevel inserts, the dip. In front of the Lost Mine, and the scratch in an insert in the Boulder Garden awards.

2 months later
#217 9 years ago
Quoted from gwarrior:

I was wondering the same thing. I didn't on my recent install. Should I have?

I heard someone had tried to do that and damaged his.

#222 9 years ago

Just bought a second one for LOTR. Already have mine for WH2O and love it!

2 weeks later
#223 9 years ago

Installed the LOTR one tonight and it is a pain due to the lights coming through the inlanes. Had to carefully navigate the inlane guides through the playfield protector to get it on. Love how it looks.

2 weeks later
#236 9 years ago

Installed one on my LOTR and have one on WH2O. Both playfields would have needed some touching up along with clear coating. This is cheaper, can be replaced easily or even removed if I sell it, and the next owner wants to go through all the trouble.

These things are great. If you have a problem with someone buying one of these, you really need to reevaluate your priorities in life.

1 year later
#303 7 years ago

I just bought a 3rd one of these. I now will have one on every machine I own. Great product.

#305 7 years ago
Quoted from shadem:

Hello,
I would like to buy one of this protectors for my jurassic park, but my playfield already lost almost all its shine.
So my question is, shoud I clean and wax the playfield before installing the protector or just clean it and install?

You should clean it first, but no need to wax it. The plastic overlay gives the clearcoat/waxed look. It doesn't move around like some people claim. If you really want to, use double sided tape at the bottom and it won't move at all. I love the two I have installed and am adding one to my X-Men this weekend.

#306 7 years ago

Take the bottom layer off the protector and clean it first. Then install and remove the top layer and clean it off too.

3 months later
#313 7 years ago
Quoted from epichoff:

Hows the reflection of the dmd on the protector? Does it distort your view when playing a game?

No more than a clearcoat would.

8 months later
#335 6 years ago
Quoted from KAIN:

Frontier was unplayable with the vivac at the left droptargets,i had to cut off the plastic 2cm below the first droptarget an put mylar instead.
Now it plays fine.

Two sided tape could have kept it down in those spots. Just a tiny piece between each drop target.

I have playfield protectors on three of my machines: X-Men, WH2O, and LOTR. The LOTR is the only one where the ball sometimes gets stuck. It occurs if the ball starts up the Legolas ramp without the right amount of speed and rolls back down slowly enough where the wireframe aligns with the playfield. I think I need to add a small piece of two-sided tape where the playfield protector ends and it will solve the issue.

3 weeks later
#343 6 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

I purchased one of these for my first pin. I played the machine about 10-20 times, then fully shopped it and replaced all rubber and installed the protector. That is important to understand as I ask my question. Has anyone noticed that these greatly increase the ball's ability to "grip" the playfield and spin. Seeing as I replayed all of the rubber, flippers, balls etc. and this is my first machine, this could be completely normal with new parts.

Oh yeah, you get some wicked backspins from the ball on the plastic for sure.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 35.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

26,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 28.99
Playfield - Protection
Lee's Parts

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Forest City, PA
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.99
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 320.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 180.00

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider judremy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-protector-full-sheet-plastic?tu=judremy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.