P1090940 copy.jpg
P1090941 copy.jpg
DSC_5199 (Large).JPG
DSC_5210 (Large).JPG
DSC_5099 (Large).JPG
DSC_5214 (Large).JPG
DSC_5203 (Large).JPG
DSC_4905 (Large).JPG
There are 361 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 8.
#301 8 years ago

I just purchased playfield protectors for Black Knight 2000 and Abra-Ca-Dabra. I will post some pics after I install them. I can't wait!

#302 8 years ago
Quoted from Lets:

Question. I have a machine and every playfield inlay is warped downward... causes frequent ball launching. The playfield is also completely covered in Mylar. Do you think a Playfield Protector would be thick enough to smooth out the field?

Yes it will

2 months later
#303 7 years ago

I just bought a 3rd one of these. I now will have one on every machine I own. Great product.

#304 7 years ago

Hello,

I would like to buy one of this protectors for my jurassic park, but my playfield already lost almost all its shine.

So my question is, shoud I clean and wax the playfield before installing the protector or just clean it and install?

#305 7 years ago
Quoted from shadem:

Hello,
I would like to buy one of this protectors for my jurassic park, but my playfield already lost almost all its shine.
So my question is, shoud I clean and wax the playfield before installing the protector or just clean it and install?

You should clean it first, but no need to wax it. The plastic overlay gives the clearcoat/waxed look. It doesn't move around like some people claim. If you really want to, use double sided tape at the bottom and it won't move at all. I love the two I have installed and am adding one to my X-Men this weekend.

#306 7 years ago

Take the bottom layer off the protector and clean it first. Then install and remove the top layer and clean it off too.

#307 7 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

You should clean it first, but no need to wax it. The plastic overlay gives the clearcoat/waxed look. It doesn't move around like some people claim. If you really want to, use double sided tape at the bottom and it won't move at all. I love the two I have installed and am adding one to my X-Men this weekend.

Good to know there is no need to wax. That will be easyer and faster.

Thanks!

#308 7 years ago

I now have these on my Bally Mata Hari, KISS and Fireball II. No issues. I like them. The ability to remove w/no harm is a plus. Not a clear coat, but nice nonetheless.............

2 months later
#309 7 years ago
Quoted from NextoPin:

I just purchased playfield protectors for Black Knight 2000 and Abra-Ca-Dabra. I will post some pics after I install them. I can't wait!

I am about to purchase the BK2000 protector and wondered if you had a chance to complete yours yet, and see how the install was and your thoughts?

Thanks
John

1 week later
#310 7 years ago

Playfield Protectors are quite some time in the market - now we started our own online shop introducing the Next Generation Playfield Protectors. We ship worldwide - feedback is warmly welcome.
https://www.playfield-protectors.com

#311 7 years ago
Quoted from protectors:

We ship worldwide - feedback is warmly welcome.

I love them, especially on old EMs. If you made one for Royal Flush, Super Soccer, or Jet Spin I would order them right now.

2 weeks later
#312 7 years ago

Hows the reflection of the dmd on the protector? Does it distort your view when playing a game?

#313 7 years ago
Quoted from epichoff:

Hows the reflection of the dmd on the protector? Does it distort your view when playing a game?

No more than a clearcoat would.

#314 7 years ago

Laid a order to night,hope it will redeem the monday example i got for my ebdb.

#315 7 years ago
Quoted from protectors:

Playfield Protectors are quite some time in the market - now we started our own online shop introducing the Next Generation Playfield Protectors. We ship worldwide - feedback is warmly welcome.
https://www.playfield-protectors.com

Make one for Aladdin's Castle and I'd buy right away.

#316 7 years ago
Quoted from bkbirge:

Make one for Aladdin's Castle and I'd buy right away.

+1

1 month later
#317 7 years ago

I have 3 diamond plated Bally games and I am seriously considering getting a set of these so I can (finally) replace the horrible mylar on those playfields. The reviews look really positive - Has anyone had one of these protectors installed for several years / lots of plays? How does it hold up?

#318 7 years ago

Stripped my fontier last night,and installed the vivac playfieldprotector.
The playfieldprotector isnt stuck any where,but look at the video.

#319 7 years ago

installed it on a MMR. I wasn't 100% sure it would fit, but it fit pretty nice. the right inlane was a little off and the led bulbs wouldn't fit in. I had to sand the mylar down less then a mm to get it fit. The ball seems to have a little less friction then before, seems like it spins a little easier. It's hardly noticeable though, I haven't noticed anymore air balls or the ball getting stuck anymore then it did before. I can still make all the shots the same way I did before. like shooting joust three times in a row

I was still able to keep some of the other protectors in as well. Figured since I already have them and it couldn't hurt as long as they didn't get in the way. only had to remove the merlin hole mantis protector. The ball trails clean off really easily with novus and it continues to look great. I've had it in for about a month and a half on location so it gets played on a regular basis.

I bought them for a few more of my tables, since this was my first table to take apart I definitely learned it's important to take lots of pictures. Probably took the game apart at least 7 times for one reason or another.

#320 7 years ago

Frontier was unplayable with the vivac at the left droptargets,i had to cut off the plastic 2cm below the first droptarget an put mylar instead.
Now it plays fine.

1 month later
#321 7 years ago

I just removed my playfield protector of my creature from the black lagoon pinball machine. It's one of the first playfield protectors they produced and it now has about 700 (5ball) games on it. I keep my pinballs very clean and i didn't change it because of scratches but the ball sometimes got stuck at the overoll switches. The new playfield protectors have other cutouts to prevent that.
When i had it installed it still looked very nice and shiny. Of course if you hold it against the light you see every scratch. Most scratches are in the bumper area, but as i said if it's installed you can hardly see any scratch.

If someone is interessted how it looks like.

#322 7 years ago

I have a Centaur that I'm currently tearing down for cleaning. It has original Mylar on it which I'm not removing. Other than two edges that are lifting and need clipped along with some minor insert lifting it's in good shape and has kept the playfield from much wear. Anyway, would you install one of these playfield protectors on a game with Mylar still on it?

1 month later
#323 7 years ago

Installed on NGS. I this was a nice solution for me as did not want to do a clear coat on this older game. Had to do some drop target adjustments but other than that no problems.

#324 7 years ago

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#325 7 years ago

Love this. Put one on my GTB Atlantis and the game is definitely faster. No doubt about it. Even have the occasional air ball now which I never had before. Maybe a bad thing but the ball never moved fast enough to be an air ball before. Looks great. Very straightforward to install. Love it and highly recommend

G

1 month later
#326 7 years ago
Quoted from pinkid:

I now have these on my Bally Mata Hari, KISS and Fireball II. No issues. I like them. The ability to remove w/no harm is a plus. Not a clear coat, but nice nonetheless.............

pinkid Did you have to adjust anything on your Bally KISS when you installed the playfield protector? I'm thinking of getting one for my Bally KISS.

#327 7 years ago
Quoted from BAA:

well, just came in 10 minutes ago, will put on the site today hopefully: IJ, TOTAN, MB, BSD, TZ, Sopranos, CC, AFM, LOTR, GI, Fireball 2, Kiss, EBD, WW, WH2O, Shrek, Family Guy, TS, Alvin G Garage Band, TSPP, Playboy (Bally), T3, IJ (stern) ...

BAA Do you have any Bally KISS playfield protectors available?

1 month later
#328 7 years ago

All of my Paragon's inserts are pretty badly cupped....will using this protector over the cupped inserts solve that problem? Would the air space between the bottom of the cup and the protector be visible? Is the protector thick/strong enough to not eventually sag into the cup, especially on the bigger inserts?

#329 7 years ago
Quoted from vizzinni:

All of my Paragon's inserts are pretty badly cupped....will using this protector over the cupped inserts solve that problem? Would the air space between the bottom of the cup and the protector be visible? Is the protector thick/strong enough to not eventually sag into the cup, especially on the bigger inserts?

This is exactly what you are looking for. It will fix the issue and make it play flat. It will also look flat and won't sag. This is the best/easiest way to fix what you need to fix and make it look good too.

3 weeks later
#330 7 years ago

I wish they made this for my pins.

No love for Williams Triple Strike or Gottlieb Spin Out!

2 weeks later
#331 6 years ago

I just purchased a protector for my Revenge From Mars machine. Has anyone installed one on RFM and have any problems or comments? Really looking forward to this.

#332 6 years ago

I did not like mine on the Paragon, it gets dirt and junk underneath it, slows down the ball, insanely overpriced $170??? for a piece of markoon, and the BIGGEST thing is the air balls off the shooter lane that v cut sucks sorry!

11714257_10207725048308341_1756457387_n (resized).jpg11714257_10207725048308341_1756457387_n (resized).jpg

#333 6 years ago

...but if your applying an overlay its perfect.

11694264_10207709203032219_1048415497_n (resized).jpg11694264_10207709203032219_1048415497_n (resized).jpg

11721750_10207709186191798_100239368_n (resized).jpg11721750_10207709186191798_100239368_n (resized).jpg

1 week later
#334 6 years ago

Just ordered one for my newly aquired Sopranos since it is standing at our pinball club in Oslo, so to prevent wear and maintain the nice playfield Ill try a protector. Will post here with before and after pictures and update

#335 6 years ago
Quoted from KAIN:

Frontier was unplayable with the vivac at the left droptargets,i had to cut off the plastic 2cm below the first droptarget an put mylar instead.
Now it plays fine.

Two sided tape could have kept it down in those spots. Just a tiny piece between each drop target.

I have playfield protectors on three of my machines: X-Men, WH2O, and LOTR. The LOTR is the only one where the ball sometimes gets stuck. It occurs if the ball starts up the Legolas ramp without the right amount of speed and rolls back down slowly enough where the wireframe aligns with the playfield. I think I need to add a small piece of two-sided tape where the playfield protector ends and it will solve the issue.

2 weeks later
#336 6 years ago

I have one on my Bally Rolling Stones and really like it. The game play is great. No issues at all. All I did was clean the playfield and install the protector. I do not wax it or anything.

I'd like to get one for my Kiss and Harlem Globetrotters. I wish the were a little more affordable though. They seem kind of expensive for what they are but they are nice.

#337 6 years ago

Has anyone ordered ones off of eBay, or are the ones on eBay the same ones in the original post which started this thread?

Thinking about buying one for each game, so I'd like to get it right the first time.

#338 6 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Has anyone ordered ones off of eBay, or are the ones on eBay the same ones in the original post which started this thread?
Thinking about buying one for each game, so I'd like to get it right the first time.

We have never ordered off ebay. to avoid confusion try

https://www.playfield-protectors.com/

We have 8 machines. We have fitted 4 playfield protectors so far and the other 4 arrived last week. We are fitting them on new and old machines. Main reason for us is to keep the playfield looking as good as possible. Unless you want to polish them with novus no2 they play slower than a playfield without one. You need to make sure that your playfield has no wax before putting the protector on and be prepared to use a small amount of double sided sticky tape to hold the protector in place.

We started by putting one on Addams six months ago. Game is HUO. 1400 games on the machine and we are fans of this product.

#339 6 years ago
Quoted from gmkalos:

I did not like mine on the Paragon, it gets dirt and junk underneath it, slows down the ball, insanely overpriced $170??? for a piece of markoon, and the BIGGEST thing is the air balls off the shooter lane that v cut sucks sorry!

I have one on my paragon and haven't seen the issues you are reporting. Really quite happy with it especially with leveling of cupped inserts.

#340 6 years ago
Quoted from pookycade:

I have one on my paragon and haven't seen the issues you are reporting. Really quite happy with it especially with leveling of cupped inserts.

A few years ago I had a Paragon with cupped inserts and one of these protectors (I was waiting until they made it and ordered it ASAP). I found it was awesome. I also put one on a RFM and it was pretty good, though I did sometimes get a ball hanging up on one of the roll overs. I didn't see those issues either.

For cupped inserts they are a good playable fix.

#341 6 years ago

The one I got for my Bally Rolling Stones fit perfectly and I don't need any tape or anything to hold it on. The gameplay is actually better with the protector in place than it was without it.

I wanted to try one of these for this particular machine because I installed an NOS factory-assembled playfield that I had in the original wooden Bally crate. Brand-new and never used. Plug & play.

The only problem with a playfield like this is that it has a few minor sunken inserts and because it is an NOS assembled playfield, I didn't want to strip it and have it clear coated. It is only original once and the use of these protectors allows you to keep it that way if you want. I can always remove the protector and the playfield will be all-original again. Can't do that if you clear-coat it. Clear-coating is irreversible.

I can always strip the playfield later and clear coat it if I want but for $100 the protector was a nice way to protect this very-rare mint playfield from wear while enabling great gameplay.

IMG_9053 (resized).JPGIMG_9053 (resized).JPG

#342 6 years ago

I purchased one of these for my first pin. I played the machine about 10-20 times, then fully shopped it and replaced all rubber and installed the protector. That is important to understand as I ask my question. Has anyone noticed that these greatly increase the ball's ability to "grip" the playfield and spin. Seeing as I replayed all of the rubber, flippers, balls etc. and this is my first machine, this could be completely normal with new parts.

#343 6 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

I purchased one of these for my first pin. I played the machine about 10-20 times, then fully shopped it and replaced all rubber and installed the protector. That is important to understand as I ask my question. Has anyone noticed that these greatly increase the ball's ability to "grip" the playfield and spin. Seeing as I replayed all of the rubber, flippers, balls etc. and this is my first machine, this could be completely normal with new parts.

Oh yeah, you get some wicked backspins from the ball on the plastic for sure.

#344 6 years ago

I don't really notice much of a difference as far as the ball gripping although it is obviously more friction than it would have on a bare waxed playfield but less than one with a factory Mylar applied. Kind of in-between.

The coefficient of friction for Mylar is approximately twice that of PETG.

From my experience with the Rolling Stones pictured above the gameplay is excellent.

#345 6 years ago
Quoted from Gatecrasher:

I don't really notice much of a difference as far as the ball gripping although it is obviously more friction than it would have on a bare waxed playfield but less than one with a factory Mylar applied. Kind of in-between.
The coefficient of friction for Mylar is approximately twice that of PETG.
From my experience with the Rolling Stones pictured above the gameplay is excellent.

The gameplay feels really good on Cirqus Voltaire. I noticed when you hit the ringmaster with some force, the ball will jump off his face and backspin back up a bit. I imagine this could also happen on a naked playfield. Overall I'm really happy with the protector, it seems like a very nice product.

#346 6 years ago

You can also wax our protectors to speed up your game. But please use very little amounts of wax.

#347 6 years ago
Quoted from protectors:

You can also wax our protectors to speed up your game. But please use very little amounts of wax.

That's good to know. I am perfectly fine with the way it plays, I was just curious . Overall I like the product a lot. After installing it, I've noticed that it has picked up an insane amount of dust and debris under the protector. I cleaned everything before installation, but the machine seems to have produced some extra dust for me.

I recommend anyone installing one of these do a deep cleaning of the playfield beforehand as it will just annoy you .

#348 6 years ago

I've done a few and never got dirt under one of them. Maybe try vacuuming or blowing the playfield clean before installation? I probably have a thousand games on my Abra Ca Dabra since the install and it looks and plays great.

#349 6 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

I've done a few and never got dirt under one of them. Maybe try vacuuming or blowing the playfield clean before installation? I probably have a thousand games on my Abra Ca Dabra since the install and it looks and plays great.

Yep, I need to take down the playfield and do a much better cleaning job. I have like tiny wood particles and dust that seems to have come out of nowhere to sit under my protector! I don't think this has to do with the protector at all...rather a game that has been sitting for a long time, and I just cleaned it and started playing it.

3 weeks later
#350 6 years ago

I just purchased a super rare HUO Indiana jones, and the owner had a brand new playfield protector he gave me, it's going on before any use. He swears by them had one installed on all his machines: CFTBL, CV, SS, I got to play a few and the ball play is fast and super consistent travel I was very impressed .

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 35.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Forest City, PA
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 28.99
Playfield - Protection
Lee's Parts

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

1,450 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.99
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 320.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

20,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
$ 180.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 361 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-protector-full-sheet-plastic/page/7?hl=madmaxx and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.